2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
This topic is about The Surgeon
The Surgeon > Question L

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Rizzoli is a controversial character in this story. What is your opinion of her and does she have redeemable qualities?

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Definitely controversial! She irritated me a lot. I think one of her redeemable qualities is her dedication to her job. I really hope I can warm to her in the next book but then if not, maybe it will make for an interesting series!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
I actually disliked her a lot. She’s got great investigative skills but is entirely self-focused and lacks any level of empathy. Because she’s the only woman in the department, Rizzoli looks at everything through a sexism lens. Moore was right about her disliking herself and she sees everyone as competition and relates to them that way.

She has redeemable qualities (good analytical mind, great instincts when not clouded, willing to work hard) but unless she changes her outlook and begins to look inward, Rizzoli will continue to be a disaster. Right now, I question her ethics.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I actually read the 3rd book in this series before this one (no Kindle back then) and so I had more of an appreciation for her character . I also have a soft spot for prickly heroines...

That said, her behavior here was very questionable and it is understandable that many readers would dislike her. I think its brave of Gerritsen to change the series to focus on her character rather than sticking with Moore.