Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Character List

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Mar 28, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 1. Edmond Dantes/Abbe Busoni/Count of Monte Cristo
2. Abbe Faria
3. Mercedes/Countess de Morderf
4. Fernand Mondego/Count de Morcerf
5. Albert de Morcerf
6. Danglars
7. Madame Danglars
8. Lucien Debray
9. Eugenie Danglars
10. Monsieur de Villefort
11. Madame Heloise de Villefort
12. Valentine de Villefort
13. Edoard de Villefort
14. Marquis & Marquise de Saint-Meran
15. Monsieur Noirtier
16. Doctor d’Avrigny
17. Caderousse
18. Benedetto
19. M Morrel
20. Maximilien Morrel
21. Julie Morrel
22. Haydee
23. Bertuccio
24. Dantes’ father
25. Luigi Vampa
26. Peppino
27. Jacopo

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments We will use this thread to describe, discuss and just keep track of the MANY characters in this book.

Please feel free to post anything you wish about the characters here.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1214 comments Mod
I am actually printing this cast of characters out so I can take notes. I ham having trouble keeping track of who is after who and why.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "I am actually printing this cast of characters out so I can take notes. I ham having trouble keeping track of who is after who and why."

Yes, there are so many -- and many of them have multiple names!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Kelly wrote: "Diane wrote: "I am actually printing this cast of characters out so I can take notes. I ham having trouble keeping track of who is after who and why."

Yes, there are so many -- and many of them ha..."

Yes so many names. I have been reading at night this book and I think I miss a few details. I have had to go back to clarify and try to pay attention more.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1268 comments Yes, you have to be careful. Franz, for example has a long “noble” name that I only remember seeing once and now can not find again.

message 7: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 435 comments I haven't started yet, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a good kindle version with the X-RAY function (if such a version exists). But I'm honestly still struggling to decide which translation to get and if I want an annotated version. :P

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Leni wrote: "I haven't started yet, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a good kindle version with the X-RAY function (if such a version exists). But I'm honestly still struggling to decide which translati..."

The book is very readable and enjoyable. I read it last year for the first time and didn't pay as close attention. Despite that I still liked it enough to give it four stars. Now I am reading more carefully and it has enhanced my enjoyment so much. I missed a lot the first time.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Leni wrote: "I haven't started yet, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a good kindle version with the X-RAY function (if such a version exists). But I'm honestly still struggling to decide which translati..."

What is the X-Ray function?

message 10: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 435 comments On Kindle the x-ray function lets you tap on a name and it brings up all the locations in the book that character appears. I'm not sure it would work when people have multiple nicknames etc. It depends how well the book had been indexed for x-ray. And of course the free versions usually have no index at all.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Leni wrote: "On Kindle the x-ray function lets you tap on a name and it brings up all the locations in the book that character appears. I'm not sure it would work when people have multiple nicknames etc. It dep..."

Cool! Thanks I didn't know about that function.

message 12: by Gail (last edited Apr 30, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1268 comments WARNING - I am up to chapter 42 - there may be spoilers in here if you are just beginning the book although I have attempted to keep out plot points. Also I am not even half way through the book, so my descriptions may not represent the core of these characters.

1. Edmond Dantes/Abbe Busoni/Count of Monte Cristo/Sinbad the Sailor - Our protagonist

2. Abbe Faria - The priest and extremely intelligent mentor to Dantes who teaches him science, history, art and languages as well as the inner workings of men. He gives Dantes his fortune.

3. Mercedes/Countess de Morderf - Dantes betrothed and then Fernand's wife and mother of Albert

4. Fernand Mondego/Count de Morcerf -Rival for Mercedes' love and later he becomes wealthy through deceit and treachery. Father of Albert

5. Albert de Morcerf - The son of Fernand and Mercedes, presented as a good honest fellow (up to chapter 42)

6. Baron Danglars - He originally conceived the plot against Dantes. Later he becomes a wealthy and powerful Baron.

7. Madame Danglars - The wife of the Baron Danglars

8. Lucien Debray - A government official - he appears to be associated with the French ministry. Associates with Albert.

9. Eugenie Danglars

10. Monsieur de Villefort/Gerard - The ambitious prosecutor who causes Dante's imprisonment. He marries the Marquis of Saint Meran's daughter largely for reasons of his ambition

11. Madame Heloise de Villefort
12. Valentine de Villefort
13. Edoard de Villefort

14. Marquis & Marquise de Saint-Meran - A Royalists pair whose daughter marries Villerfort. He owns the country villa outside of Paris where a murder happens.

15. Monsieur Noirtier - Father of Villefort. Once a revolutionary but diminished by physical problems (a stroke?) but just as brilliant. He appears to love his son and feel that he must stop him from his pro-Royalist ambitions.

16. Doctor d’Avrigny

17. Caderousse - A silent witness and therefore complicit in the plot against Dantes. Later he is visited by Dantes in the guise of Abbe Busoni who grants him a diamond for not being an active participant. However, this later turns out to be his downfall.

18. Benedetto - Is the illegitimate son of Villefort and someone not his wife who is rescued and raised by Bertuccio and Bertuccio's sister. He knows that these foster parents are not his real parents, he treats them badly and turns to a life of crime.

19. M Morrel - The honest shipowner who attempts to free Dantes and is reward by Dantes stepping in an saving him from financial ruin. Dantes does this under disguise however.

20. Maximilian Morrel - The son of Monsieur Morrel is presented as capable and brave. He is introduced to Albert in Paris.

21. Julie Morrel - Loving Daughter of Monsieur Morrel and sister to Maximilian. She is engaged to Emmanuel, a loyal employee to Monsieur Morrel

22. Haydee - a slave that was procured by The Count of Monte Cristo. She is from Greece.

23. Bertuccio - Dantes steward who raised Benedetto who is Villefort's bastard son. Bertuccio also committed the crime outside of Paris. He also witnessed the Caderousse's downfall and almost takes the blame for it.

24. Dantes’ father - A virtuous older man who dies before Dantes gets out of prison

25. Luigi Vampa - A famous bandit working outside of Rome. He works for Dantes to pay him back for Dantes once setting him free

26. Peppino - An Italian shepherd who is sentenced to death for collaborating with bandits. Dante bribes officials to set him free

27. Jacopo - A smuggler who Dante helps and who Jacopo repays with loyalty

28. Countess G - We meet at the opera in Rome. She is an Italian aristocrat who suspects Dante is a vampire

29. Baron of Chateau-Renaud - A Parisian aristocrat and diplomat whose live is saved by Maximilian Morrel and causes Maximillian and Dantes to meet in Paris

30. Franz d'Epinay - A good friend and traveling companion to Albert. He has some escapades with Dantes (opium/hashish) but does not trust that the Mount of Monte Cristo is all he appears to be.

31. Beauchamp - A journalist and friend of Albert

32. Ali - Although he is mute and is a Nubian slave he is capable of amazingly sophisticated deals and procurements for Dante.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Gail wrote: "WARNING - I am up to chapter 42 - there may be spoilers in here if you are just beginning the book although I have attempted to keep out plot points. Also I am not even half way through the book, s..."

Gail this is a great list. I wish I had this when I started the book.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Thanks for that Gail. It is very helpful

message 15: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Thank you both, Kelly and Gail, for these. They are great, just printed both of them!