2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
This topic is about The Surgeon
The Surgeon > Question C

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Jane Rizzoli experiences sexism on the job, particularly from Crowe. What did you think of her approach to dealing with it? Should she have managed things differently (in the context of that era)?

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments This is a difficult one.... I can understand her frustrations however I think she may have been a bit flighty at times.

I guess she has tried talking about it with her manager so the only way she feels she can deal with it is by proving herself. But this doesn't always work e.g. the shooting of Pacheco.

I liked Moore's statement towards the end of the book "how can others like you if you don't like yourself". I think that is so true. If she can accept who she is then maybe others will accept her as well. By the way I'm not condoning the actions of the others such as Crowe, the tampon in the bottle was horrible.

That chip on her shoulders (yes, both of them) just invited bad behavior and turned off those that might have been her supporters.

That tampon experience was horrible and Marquette should have disciplined Crowe for that and many other things he said and did. It didn’t serve the department well internally and externally.

That said, Rizzoli saw sexism in everything and her only mode was attack and be surly. There was no way others were going to change her behavior if she continued in this direction. She was pretty unlikable.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, Crowe and his ilk are disgusting in their sexism.

On the one hand, Jane's surliness only encourages them, but on the other, if she tried to be "one of the guys" would it be any better? I don't think so. Misogyny doesn't go away when women try to fit in.

So, I don't actually agree with Thomas's statement that others would like Jane if she liked herself. I do think that Jane needs to learn to love herself, but not to make men like her and stop treating her like a 2nd class citizen.

On a side note, the lack of this treatment of Jane in the TV series is one of the things that make the books more realistic.

I never thought Thomas meant people like Crowe who gives Neanderthals a bad name. I was thinking of others who might have come to her defense or at least demanded better of him.