Our Shared Shelf discussion

Mar/Apr '18: Heart Berries > For readers with PTSD and Bipolar II Disorder

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Adams | 2 comments This resonated with me so incredibly deeply because I also have both of these mental illnesses. I particularly enjoyed the tone and style of Mailhot’s writing because it mimics the rapid thought processes experienced in manic states, and is so relatable because sometimes you have so many thoughts and feelings at one time that they don’t even all necessarily make sense or go together to form a complete thought. The abusive relationships and low self-esteem were some other elements that I found striking because of experiences in my own life. Did others feel especially connected to this book for these reasons?

Best,
Alex

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
Very much so

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! Quick question, what is bipolar type 2? I have looked for more information but what I found is either quite general or similar to other "psychopathologies" (I am not sure the word psychopathology is well used, sorry if it is not).

I prefer to write down my question on this thread rather than private message since other people could have the same question.

Have a good one! ;)

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments Florian wrote: "Hello! Quick question, what is bipolar type 2? I have looked for more information but what I found is either quite general or similar to other "psychopathologies" (I am not sure the word psychopath..."

I actually looked this up after seeing your question because I also didn't know. If someone has a better answer, you can disregard this, but this is what I found:

"Bipolar II disorder (pronounced "bipolar two") is a form of mental illness. Bipolar II is similar to bipolar I disorder, with moods cycling between high and low over time.

However, in bipolar II disorder, the "up" moods never reach full-blown mania. The less-intense elevated moods in bipolar II disorder are called hypomanic episodes, or hypomania.

A person affected by bipolar II disorder has had at least one hypomanic episode in his or her life. Most people with bipolar II disorder suffer more often from episodes of depression. This is where the term "manic depression" comes from.

In between episodes of hypomania and depression, many people with bipolar II disorder typically live normal lives."
https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...

This one is just a bit more distinction between Bipolar I and Bipolar II:
"All types of bipolar disorder are characterized by episodes of extreme highs and extreme lows. The highs are known as manic episodes. The lows are known as depressive episodes.

The main difference between bipolar 1 and bipolar 2 disorders lies in the severity of the manic episodes caused by each type. The depressive episodes are similar between bipolar 1 and bipolar 2 disorder. But with bipolar 1 disorder, the mania is more severe than it is with bipolar disorder 2. Bipolar 2 causes something called hypomania, which is essentially a less severe form of mania. Hypomanic behaviors might be considered atypical for a person, but maybe not abnormal. Manic behaviors, on the other hand, are more extreme and would typically be considered abnormal."
https://www.healthline.com/health/bip...-

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Adams | 2 comments Yep, so I think Ashley pretty much nailed it there. Bipolar II is the “less crazy” version of Bipolar Disorder.

The way the book was written was special for me because it conveyed the hypomania really accurately, and portrayed that intense range of emotions really well, mostly on the depressive side.

message 6: by Pam (last edited Mar 30, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
I liked that it treated the fallibility of memory.

Stuff that happens when you're younger than 5 is extremely vague. You have all these identifiers that shape you without being able to conciously make sense of them until BAM an intense emotion hits and it brings it all up. But only in vague half truths. Ideas that the young mind couldn't explain to the adult mind that is trying to piece it all together.

Pain is often described as "bagage."

But when you are a child and grow up with that bagage, you do not realize that you are carrying it. You've always had this, it's as much of you as your eye color or the shape of your face. It's only when the bag rips and everything falls out that you finally notice that that big lump on your back was in fact something your mind shielded from you for so long. And the contents inside said bag don't make any sense. Like youre given a puzzle without all the pieces and without the drawing to go off of.

People tell you to just get over it, but you don't even know what you're getting over until you can catalog all of those pieces in your bag, examine what they are, and determine if it's something you should keep or even if you can part with. And the whole time your mind still trying so hard to put a "NoticeMeNot" spell on all of it. You're fighting internally with yourself to notice this bag on your back and these memories strewn about. And in the process create more pain that fills the bag even more.

I loved that she touches on that. That self sabatoge, the drowning sensation for anyone to help without being able to clearing state what you need, like asking for a parchute when you're drowning. Its good to know people are responding, but you're only quickening your demise.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 30, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

@Ashley: Thank you, I read a bit more about it to complete the information I already got and to organize my mind. Psychology is a really difficult field but so interesting!

@Pam: I agree, that is why this book is so striking. It makes me think about something I heard one day "To rebuild yourself you might need to destroy some parts of you first."