Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Great Alone > Large Marge

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
When the Allbrights move to Alaska, they meet Large Marge, the lady who runs the general store. Realizing that the Allbrights are not prepared for life in Alaska, Large Marge is there to help them. Before her life in Alaska, Large Marge was a prosecutor. What did you think about Large Marge? Did you like her? Would Cora and Leni have been able to adapt to Alaskan life without her?

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I loved this character, mostly because you felt like she would offer some protection to Cora and Leni. She had a combination of smarts and toughness that made you feel she was the only one who could handle the dad.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 101 comments I loved Large Marge!!! Her life story, or the little bits we learn about her, made her so interesting, I wanted to know more about her. I love the whole willingness to share knowledge that she seemed to be about. Rather than just watch newbies from the sidelines, she got right in there helping and teaching. I don't believe there is any way that the family would have adapted without her influence.