Actors Unite! discussion

An Actor Prepares
This topic is about An Actor Prepares
Acting School vs Acting Class: What is the Best Method for Actors to Train?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Page (kevin_page) | 6 comments Mod
I was trained at an acting conservatory (Meadows School of the Arts) in classical theatre before starting my career in film and TV (here is my IMDB profile: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0656241). I have also taken private acting class and innumerable audition workshops and showcases.

I think that the work we did in university actor training was useful, but I did have to "forget a lot of it" when I actually went to work. Nonetheless learning vocal warm-ups and spending years on self-reflection and observing the sensations in the body (movement training) has still proven useful over the years.

However, I would also say that my acting work today is much different than when I first got out of school. That is mostly due to on-set experience and working (and learning from) so many really powerful actors over the years. The list of my professional co-stars (people I have actually done scenes with) includes: Robert De Niro, George Clooney, Billy Bob Thornton, Pierce Brosnan, Linda Gray, Jerry Seinfeld, Susan Lucci, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme, Carol O’Connor, Scott Bakula, and Jeff Daniels.

I have even written a couple of books on acting theory and training (they both come out this Fall from Routledge Press Kevin Page). So, my question for the group is: what have been the most helpful training techniques you have been exposed to that made you a better actor? If you could only choose one thing, what would you recommend to others? And, what kind of training or self-care do you still use on an ongoing basis?

message 2: by W.M. (new)

W.M. (psybok) | 4 comments I have never taken any formal acting classes. I have been , for the most part, self taught. I have done quite a bit of community theater. I jokingly refer to this as great free acting lessons.

I have also gone through Master Class, with Kevin Spacey. (Please no comments about his alleged sexual abuse allegations. I feel the man is a fantastic actor, and an excellent teacher NOTE: New students can no longer sign up for Spacey, or Dustin Hoffman due to the accusations ) Master Class is a great way to learn, and once you have signed up, you can access the videos in perpetuity.

I feel I have learned a lot form Master Class. That said, I would be interested in taking some format classes from someone I respect as a actor. At the moment, the only thing holding me back is money.