Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Series: Reading Order > *RESOLVED* List of Unresolved Series

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 14, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
We've had immense progress in our attempt to organise those nominees and winners that are part of longer series and have non award-winning titles that must be read in order to appreciate the story. We have only a few series to cover so I made the list for everyone to see.

Asimov's Robot and Foundation series. 3 books

If you can provide any insight or leave a suggestion as to how to approach reading one of these particular series, make a new thread and let us know what your ideas are!

message 2: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Wheel of Time series will need to be completely for two reasons: 1) you would get so lost if you skipped books and 2) all of the books are on the hugo award list.

Game of Thrones is the same as WoT.

Dresden Files...I'm a bit torn on. Arguably each book could be a stand alone, but you'd miss the character development. I'm also thinking of all the characters in the last book and what happens. I just don't think one could really appreciate the Skin Game without the build up to that point. You wouldn't know about Dresden world vampires, saints, werewolves, ghosts, fairies, nor how magic works.

So, it depends on how you like to read. If you can read a story and not need to know ever detail and catch all of the subtle jokes, then you should be fine with reading Skin Game by itself. If you are not one of those people, but need to know who all the people are in the book and why the hell he has a talking skull as a friend...then you should read all 15 books. the .1s and .5s are side jobs or minor things that don't play a role in the main story.

Dresden series is an easy read. It's not overly complicated and they are a fun ride with interesting solutions to other worldly issues.

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I've updated the series list with WoT and GoT series and boy did I have a surprise waiting for me. Since I've already spent plenty of time organising a comprehensive list of series I've decided that it would be a good idea to could the total amount of pages each of the series contained, at least up to a point where we would get through all of the award-winning titles and pre-requisite reads. The results can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Now that I've realised that Wheel of Time has a whopping 11k of pages of content, I must say I better go lie down...

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3667 comments Mod
I'm really not that interested in either WoT or GoT. I have started both of them and not finished. WoT because I forgot from book to book what had happened before. GoT (or else something else by him) because I just got bogged down.

So when you pick those series, I will probably go lie down . . .

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I'm really not that interested in either WoT or GoT. I have started both of them and not finished. WoT because I forgot from book to book what had happened before. GoT (or else something else by hi..."

I remember reading some of them back when I was a kid and had to scavenge the local library for any sci-fi or fantasy and I don't remember it captivating me.

Still willing to give it a go when the time comes, but we will have to think how we are to approach a long series as that. A yearly challenge might be in order.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I agree. Vorkisigan might have to be like that, too

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 15, 2018 06:07PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Finally the last remaining series to be dealt with is The Foundation and its prequel Robot series. How do you all feel about it, arguably one of the most famous sci-fi series out there.

As a personal challenge I was planning to read the whole thing including the extra volumes in-between. I do however realise that not everybody is as interested in doing so as much as I am. Is this going to be another case of a "challenge" or do we as a group carry the responsibility of passing judgment on one of the most iconic series as a whole?

Here's the list of all the Robot and Foundation books: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4942...

This is the last series we have to decide on, to everyone's relief!

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I read the 3 main foundation books years ago, and I'm not sure if I will read them again. I loved all the robot books, though.

I will go along with whatever anyone decides.

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I suppose this might be another challenge after all. Apart from us having limited time, another issue is having collections in their entireties and that is a challenge by itself.

Making a group-read of 17 volumes in order to read 3 award-winning books might be a bit of an overkill.

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I agree. Which were the three that were in this group? Asimov has more than three

Foundation's Edge, The Cave of Steel and ??

I know that there are two with the cop robot. Is Caves the first of those? And you have to read I, Robot, which is really a collection of short stories, or you won't understand robotics.

but actually, I will leave it up to you guys because I have no horse in this race.

message 11: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I agree. Which were the three that were in this group? Asimov has more than three

Foundation's Edge, The Cave of Steel and ??

I know that there are two with the cop robot. Is Caves the first of ..."

Got two Robots and one Foundation. Foundation's Edge, The Cave of Steel and Robot's Dawn I believe. The issue with them is that they are scattered all over and both the series have loads of related works attached. The more I think about it the more I see these two as two sets of challenges.

I am sure there are some members who already tried reading either of the series and some who have finished them completely. I know I will give the whole cycle a go, eventually.

message 12: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I read I Robot a few times, I read what I think were two robot cop novels, I think more than once, and I read the 3 Foundation books that were written in the 1950's.

I lead with this in order to say that I had no idea the robot stuff was connected with the Foundation books.

Maybe that's because I don't remember the Foundation books very well, or maybe it's because they are different enough that we can treat them as separate.

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Bump.

Just refreshing the thread so that it doesn't get deleted automatically in a few days.

message 14: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1932 comments Mod
While I know they're all loosely connected, I've always looked at these as three separate series. The original Foundation trilogy was my entry into sci-fi and I re-read it a few times. Along came Foundation's Edge, Prelude & the second trilogy by other authors, which I do want to read at some point. Later I was turned onto the Robot novels (how did I miss them?). I think of the main story line as The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn & Robots & Empire. I, Robot is basically the introduction to those later novels which echo the theme of how many different nuances there are to the Three Laws. All the others I see as peripheral. Then there's the Empire novels, The Currents of Space, The Stars, Like Dust & Pebble in the Sky. I have an omnibus edition of these but have only read the first. So if I was leading group challenges, I would treat Empire as one set because it's a reference point for the other two, then Foundation as the second part, then Robots as the third. While I haven't read the later Foundation novels, for me there was a huge sense of closure & coming full circle finishing Robots & Empire, so that feels like the finishing point to me.

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Yeah, Foundation series reading list has a lot to be improved upon, especially since the majority won no awards.