Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > How should we view the nature of scripture?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Meade | 24 comments https://youtu.be/DFoM9CZY_vg

I thought this brief video of Biblical scholar Michael Heiser might be a catalyst for some interesting discussion. In my own humble opinion, he pretty aptly assesses the crux of the issue that leads to so much in-fighting within the body of Christ today. I'd love to hear the thoughts of others.

message 2: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments I'm checking him out. Thanks for the link!

message 3: by Rev Steven (new)

Rev  Steven (goodreadscomww9d) | 4 comments Good Video and a good teacher.
In My Oplnion, The KEY to the heart of GOD IS obedience.
There has never been but one sin in all of time, " to disobey God!"
Sin is a little euphemism we use to change the impact and the subject. TO Disobey GOD is SIN, all the rest is examples of disobeying God. Read Romans 5:10 "when we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his SON.
All that is left for us is to OBEY GOD!!

message 4: by Robert (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments John 3:18 - "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already , because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

1 John 3:22-23

22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

message 5: by G. (new)

G. Julian | 64 comments We need more than a biblical scholar; we need a non-sectarian historian of ancient history. They can tell you what is fraudulent in the Bible and what is not. This is done by consulting other ancient documents. The Bible has been monkeyed with for hundreds of years; that's why it's a 3rd class scripture. In spiritual life it is known as high school. When you're ready for college, come up to Bhagavad-Gita, As It Is by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

message 6: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments Hey G,

Did A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami die for my sins? If not, I'll stick with Jesus. Oh, and if you want to have a "discussion," I suggest not starting it off with an insult like "3rd class scripture."

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments G. wrote: "We need more than a biblical scholar; we need a non-sectarian historian of ancient history. They can tell you what is fraudulent in the Bible and what is not. This is done by consulting other ancie..."

1 Corinthians 2:14 - "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them , because they are spiritually discerned."

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam Meade | 24 comments G: Thanks, but no thanks. I've read enough of the Bhagavad-Gita, Upanishads, and otherwise explored the Eastern traditions enough to know that, at best, they are insightful philosophies and, at worst, the doctrines of demons.

message 9: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments Amen, Adam.

G - Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

This is so strong of a statement, it requires a verdict, not an opinion. Many of us are here if you wish to explore the above statement's validity.

Peace to you,
Wade

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam Meade | 24 comments Rev Steven: I think you are right. I'd be a liar if I pretended to always heed the spirit and never the flesh, but as I try to yield to the Spirit in increasing measure, I'm always rewarded with peace and insight. Conversely, yielding to the flesh always brings disillusionment and inner turmoil.