We Read Stuff discussion

Before I Go to Sleep
This topic is about Before I Go to Sleep
Books of the Month 2018 > Before I Go to Sleep - April 2018 BotM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Discussion thread for Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson, one of our books of the month for April 2018.

Synopsis

Christine wakes up every morning in an unfamiliar bed with an unfamiliar man. She looks in the mirror and sees an unfamiliar, middle-aged face. And every morning, the man she has woken up with must explain that he is Ben, he is her husband, she is forty-seven years old, and a terrible accident two decades earlier decimated her ability to form new memories.

Every day, Christine must begin again the reconstruction of her past. And the closer she gets to the truth, the more unbelievable it seems.

message 2: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments I read this last month actually, so um.. should I just play along?
Like discuss when?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Of course you can discuss with others as they read :) if you want to post anything spoiler-y just hide it under a spoiler tag so people can wait to read it until they get to the appropriate point. You can also say out of the tag if what you wrote is fine after a certain chapter or something if it’s ok to read before the end of the boom but may be a spoiler prior to a certain point.

message 4: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Of course you can discuss with others as they read :) if you want to post anything spoiler-y just hide it under a spoiler tag so people can wait to read it until they get to the appropriate point. ..."

Sure :) I'll probably wait for u guys to start the discussion first.

message 5: by Holly (last edited Apr 05, 2018 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holly (ufcasey) I have read both books this month!

This book felt like basically a cross between two other fantastic books I have read: "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier and "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. (I mentioned Du Maurier in the other book's discussion, but I swear I rarely mention that author usually!) Anyways, I really liked this book so I'm looking forward to discussing it :)

message 6: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Yeah I liked it too-I haven't read the other two you mentioned!

Coll | 54 comments I'm just getting started with this one I like how the main character doesn't freak out at first just goes with the flow, lol a cell phone?

Starr | 44 comments One minute I trust the husband and the next I don't trust him. One minute I trust Dr Nash and the next I don't lol. Loving this book so far

message 9: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:02AM) (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments (view spoiler)

message 10: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Yes She just goes will the flow. She always goes to the bathroom first!

message 11: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments The fireworks helps

message 12: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments Is each day a record or a memory like she said

Starr | 44 comments It starts to be both. She only knows things because she reads it, but then she starts remembering things on her own

message 14: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Takes a while though

Starr | 44 comments Oh shit! I did not see that coming!! I finished the book and was mad. I want to know if she was able to keep her memories. Who else is done with the book so I can talk about it?

message 16: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Starr wrote: "Oh shit! I did not see that coming!! I finished the book and was mad. I want to know if she was able to keep her memories. Who else is done with the book so I can talk about it?"

You can talk to me if you want :)

Starr | 44 comments Do you mind spoilers if you aren't done with it?

message 18: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Starr wrote: "Do you mind spoilers if you aren't done with it?"

I'm done.
but others might not be-or maybe we could dm

message 19: by Starr (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starr | 44 comments (view spoiler)

message 20: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:01AM) (new) - added it

message 21: by Starr (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 22: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:01AM) (new) - added it

message 23: by Starr (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 24: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:00AM) (new) - added it

message 25: by Starr (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 26: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:00AM) (new) - added it

message 27: by Starr (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 28: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 04:59AM) (new) - added it

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Aqsa and Starr please hid spoilers under spoiler tags you can do so by typing < spoiler > text stuff here < / spoiler > without the space in the brackets it will appear like this (view spoiler) and you just click to reveal :) please edit your posts to hide the spoiler stuff in case others don't want to risk accidentally reading it :)

message 30: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Aqsa and Starr please hid spoilers under spoiler tags you can do so by typing text stuff here without the space in the brackets it will appear like this [spoilers removed] and you just click to r..."

Sorry, I fixed it.

Starr | 44 comments Fixed it

message 32: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments I'm only about halfway through... Anyone else?

message 33: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments It crazy how he wants to tell her he loves her but seems like he is discouraging her gaining memories. Like ok buddy she'll just wake up love you and then don't it all over again tomorrow.

message 34: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments (view spoiler)

message 35: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments (view spoiler)

Starr | 44 comments I thought the same thing, but I kinda understand it. It's stuff he tells her everyday. Maybe he's getting tired of it, so he holds things back

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Starr wrote: "Fixed it"

Aqsa wrote: "Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Aqsa and Starr please hid spoilers under spoiler tags you can do so by typing text stuff here without the space in the brackets it will appear like this [spoilers removed] and y..."
No worries and thanks :)

message 38: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments Would you want to know all the bad things in your life if you only had a day to live it?

message 39: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 10, 2018 08:25PM) (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Idk, maybe not, too much grief and guilt.
But not knowing those things might mean not knowing myself, so maybe yes. But I'd also like the good.
What about you?

message 40: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments It would be hard to not try to make sense of things I wouldn't go frankenhooker but I'd prob just want to live

message 41: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments I hope it never comes to that though!

Starr | 44 comments I think I would want to know, but hopefully I wouldn't get mad at people for not telling me everything since they also have to live with my condition. I mean really who wants to keep repeating everything every single day and having to see the reaction, and probably have to take the blame for things

message 43: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Yes, blaming them isn't fair. Nope, not at all!

Kally (kallywumpus) | 8 comments I would definitely leave post-it notes ALL over the bathroom if that was the first place I always went. Or on the ceiling so I would maybe help myself get my bearings so my hubby wouldn't have to explain everything every day. And after I began a journal? A digest page to skim and get my bearings.

Did anyone else feel like she didn't take much responsibility for herself? She recognized and was frightened that she didn't have any power and was relying on those around her, but then doesn't try to take control. Has to be told to start a journal, husband puts up the bathroom pictures, etc. Perhaps it is because she is finally at a point where she can be mentally coherent enough (view spoiler). What do you guys think?

message 45: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Yeah, I didn't think like that, but now that you say, I can't help but agree. She didn't take much of a stand, but I also think that she had one day at most-to figure it all out. From the start to the end. She could've just wasted that time processing the new info and by the time she could've thought something, her husband would come home and then nothing to do. But as I write this, I realize, that any sensible person would like to hold on to the memories in some way, whether it be through a journal or notes, or videos and audios of herself.

message 46: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments What would you do about it though without know what you have for resources?

message 47: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments What do u mean?

message 48: by Kally (last edited Apr 14, 2018 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kally (kallywumpus) | 8 comments Coll wrote: "What would you do about it though without know what you have for resources?"
You wouldn't need many resources, even if you didn't have the support of a loved one, there is always paper around a house. I'd write more notes to go with the bathroom pictures since she seems to focus there in the morning. Access to video is probably out since she doesn't quite remember what a cell phone is.

message 49: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments I mean she doesn't have friends really

message 50: by Coll (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coll | 54 comments She has to be kinda strong to go through that every day. Hey your old now and you'll forget this tomorrow but have fun. She does remember things just not him.

« previous 1