The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Mini Challenges > Spring 2018 Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (last edited Mar 27, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod

The Spring Mini Challenge will run from April 1-May 31, 2018.
There are 6 tasks in this mini challenge
3 books must come from the Rory Gilmore Reading List (either revival or original series)
3 books can come from wherever you choose
Please post your task list below

When you’ve completed a task be sure to make a new post in this thread with your competed entry.
——> Example: Sept 1, completed task one, Great Gatsby

Be sure to use the Rory Gilmore reading list that can be found in the “How It Works” thread from Black, White and Read Books blog, and you can also use the list of books featured in the revival which can also be found in the How it Works thread. I’ll try to keep up to date with a score board and post the winner at the end of the challenge!

Tasks:
1. Read one book that was featured in a spring episode of Gilmore Girls (revival or original series) ** this one must be from the Rory Gilmore Reading List

2. Read one book that has an "air of mystery" to it. Could be a cozy mystery, thriller, detective novel, etc.

3. Read one book that you consider to be outside of your 'normal' reading genre

4. Read one book that would be an accomplishment to have read/finished

5. Read a book where the authors name (first or last) starts with either A or M (April or May)

6. Read one book that was considered a favorite of one of the characters of Gilmore Girls **this one must be from the Rory Gilmore Reading List

message 2: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments This one is going to be difficult due to the end of the school year, but I'll see how it goes.

1. One Hundred Years of Solitude-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. Murder on the Orient Express-Agatha Christie

3. The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood (This one is more out of my norm due to content.)

4. Eleanor Roosevelt (all 3 volumes)-Blanche Wiesen Cook

5. The Five People You Meet in Heaven-Mitch Albom

6. The Bell Jar-Sylvia Plath

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments GOALS FOR THIS CHALLENGE

2. 'Carrie' Stephen King. (I've seen the movie with Sissy Spacick, but I know there are always nuances that are missed if you don't read the book.)

3. 'Fear and loathing in las Vagas' Hunter Thompson (Hated the movie, so I'm dreading reading it.)

4. 'Swann's way' Marcel Proust

5. 'Peyton place' Grace Metalious

6.'On the road" Jack Kerouac

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments The handmaid's tale was good I thought. I read it in an afternoon.
It's something that I felt like I had to talk to about with someone. But nobody around me had read it. I talked to my husband about it, because he said he might not read it. He reads a lot too.

Windy wrote: "This one is going to be difficult due to the end of the school year, but I'll see how it goes.

2. Murder on the Orient Express-Agatha Chris..."

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments Re: Task 1

How do you know which books are from Spring episodes?

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Sobreira (sanymars) | 2 comments I want to know too :)

message 7: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments April 6 - completed task 5 - The Five People You Meet in Heaven

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments April 8- Completed task #2- The girl who threw rocks at the devil. I enjoyed this book a lot. I don't usually write reviews, but I'm thinking of going back and writing one. I was waiting to find out who it was the whole time. I had theories as I read, but...no spoilers from me. Read it.

message 9: by Colleen (last edited Apr 10, 2018 12:42PM) (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) Edited to Add: Nearly finished...just need a book for Spring Reboot. I am going to choose something Shakespeare and just bought a lovely complete works from Etsy.

2. Read one book that has an "air of mystery" to it. Could be a cozy mystery, thriller, detective novel, etc. So for this, I read Michael Twitty's The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South. I'm counting it as a detective novel, because it is a memoir of self-discovery and of him going on a search for his family roots through food. It's an amazing story and he talks a lot about the mystery surrounding African American genealogy. I assigned parts of it for my Africana Studies class this semester, and we will be reading it in my American Foodways class in the Fall.

3. Read one book that you consider to be outside of your 'normal' reading genre: Okey Ndibe's Never Look an American in the Eye: A Memoir of Flying Turtles, Colonial Ghosts, and the Making of a Nigerian American. I rarely read memoirs, and I assigned this in my Africana Studies class for their unit on Community. I enjoyed it!

4. Read one book that would be an accomplishment to have read/finished: Diana Gabaldon's Breath of Snow and Ashes. These suckers are long, this one is 994 pages, and I finished it in 2 months. Woot! Still easier to read than Anna Karenina.

5. Read a book where the authors name (first or last) starts with either A or M (April or May): Anne of Green Gables. Love Anne so so much.

6. Read one book that was considered a favorite of one of the characters of Gilmore Girls **this one must be from the Rory Gilmore Reading List. I read Cheryl Strayed's Wild, which is featured in Summer of the Reboot. It had a huge impact on Lorelei, so I'm counting it here. I'm not sure I felt as moved or impacted as everyone else who read it, but it was inspiring and I enjoyed it. I read it in about 2 days.

message 10: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments April 10 - completed task 4 - Eleanor Roosevelt
OMG! I am finally done with all three volumes of this biography.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments #2 I am currently reading Rebecca, but it is from the "additional reading list", so I may have to redo this one.

What is the additional reading list about? I recalled it from the "309" and books, which is one reason why I started it, I also loved Jane Eyre, so that was another reason. I didn't know it was "additional" until after starting g
it, finding this group, and the new list.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments #5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nights-time, Mark Haddon

message 13: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments April 21 - completed task 2 - Murder on the Orient Express

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited May 26, 2018 09:41PM) (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments May 1-completed task1 on the road by jack kerouac.

message 15: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments May 3 - completed task 3 - The Handmaid's Tale

message 16: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments May 24 - completed task 1 - One Hundred Years of Solitude

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments May 26-completed task 3- Me before you.
I never thought I would like this book. I swore I wouldn't read it.

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) Finished the challenge with As You Like It. I am still reading 100 Years of Solitude

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Completed task #5-June 10, 2018. Anne of Green Gables by Maud Montgomery.

Only #4 left, I dont think I will have one done.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Jennifer wrote: "#2 I am currently reading Rebecca, but it is from the "additional reading list", so I may have to redo this one.

What is the additional reading list about? I recalled it from the "309" and books,..."

I can't seem to get an answer about the additional reading list either.