World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > How do you support yourself?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori | 11 comments What do writers out there do to support themselves, financially? What kind of job allows enough flexibility and/or leeway to write on the side?
I know some people teach, some people work retail, but I'm drawing a blank over other kinds of jobs. What do you all do?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14968 comments Any job one has, there supposed to be a downtime before or after the work time, which can be used for anything, writing included.
Being an astronaut may be kinda suitable. If orbital pubs are closed, there is nothing much to do. The earthview windows offer some inspiration. And maybe even an online shopping is less attractive, if you are not ascribed a zip code for deliveries -:)

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Engineering/IT - Basically I'm an IT consultant and Engineers are my customers.

message 4: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin I am now fully retired and living on my federal and provincial pensions. The bad news: my revenues went down significantly. The good news: I have fallen into a lower income bracket as per tax calculations go, which means that I don't have to pay extra taxes over what I already paid while still on my last job. I even got a reimbursement from the federal side!

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10762 comments I am a semiretired scientist (chemical research). Since I was always self-employed, I suppose you cannot retire from yourself, but like Michel, I live on pensions, with minor supplements from consulting, and of course, from savings. The bad news here is my tax returns are somewhat complicated, which means I have to pay an accountant, which takes up a good chunk of the consulting supplements.

message 6: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I'm a physiotherapist in a private practice. I'm primarily a musculoskeletal generalist, but have a significant interest in chronic and complex pain.

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I am a bloodstock agent; I specialize in broodmares and broodmare prospects, with a preference for turf bloodlines.

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Holly wrote: "I am a bloodstock agent; I specialize in broodmares and broodmare prospects, with a preference for turf bloodlines."

I treat the vets, stud hands and breeders of the Upper Hunter (NSW Australia), which is Australia's premier thoroughbred breeding region 😊😊😊

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Leonie wrote: "Holly wrote: "I am a bloodstock agent; I specialize in broodmares and broodmare prospects, with a preference for turf bloodlines."

I treat the vets, stud hands and breeders of the Upper Hunter (NS..."

Hey. Leonie......!!!

How about Winx!!!! You must be so proud of her..........I am a huge fan.

message 10: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Holly wrote: "Leonie wrote: "Holly wrote: "I am a bloodstock agent; I specialize in broodmares and broodmare prospects, with a preference for turf bloodlines."

I treat the vets, stud hands and breeders of the U..."

I think the whole Upper Hunter gets excited when 'one of their own' does so well :) And quite often they come up here when it's time to breed. (If they're mares.) Makybe Diva has had a couple of babies here, I believe, and even has a street named after her in Scone.

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I did hear that Winx may even trial internationally, like Black Caviar.

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Leonie wrote: "I did hear that Winx may even trial internationally, like Black Caviar."

It would be great to see her in a Breeders Cup race this year. Churchill Downs is only a day drive, so I am going and would love to cheer her on.