Christian Cyberpunk Books discussion

Den Warren's Lucid Series > Shared Universe

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Den (new)

Den Warren | 42 comments Mod
Does anyone here have an opinion on shared universes? I am thinking about opening up The Lucid Series to being a shared universe.The Lucid Series: Android Uprising

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan | 22 comments What exactly is a shared universe?

message 3: by Den (new)

From Wikipedia: A shared universe or shared world is a set of creative works where more than one writer (or other artist) independently contributes a work that can stand alone but fits into the joint development of the storyline, characters, or world of the overall project.

message 4: by Stan (new)

Stan | 22 comments Den wrote: "From Wikipedia: A shared universe or shared world is a set of creative works where more than one writer (or other artist) independently contributes a work that can stand alone but fits into the joi..."

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying!

I would personally be careful with how widely I opened my world to other authors. I'd have to know enough to be able to trust them to write within my Christian worldview. I'd also limit use to any existing characters unless I knew the author could write them without altering them in directions I would not want to go. Or, I'd request to write my characters if they appear in the other author's work in my world.

Does that make sense?

message 5: by Den (last edited Mar 27, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

That makes perfect sense. In fact, if I did it, I would still be the editor of the series so it would maintain a Christian worldview and maintain certain standards.

In the shared universe, the creator of each character would "own" the character and have to approve any major lasting changes to them, especially a fatality.

A benefit of the shared universe would be more stories and have a ready-made series that fans would already know.