Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > April 2018 Group Read #1: THE ELEMENTALS, by Michael McDowell

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 26, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5849 comments Mod
For the April 2018 Group Read, we have a tie! Since we use the top two winners for Group Reads anyway, they will both be featured this month!
Our first Group Read is The Elementals by Michael McDowell The Elementals, by Michael McDowell.

Remember to use spoiler tags, and have fun!

message 2: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 155 comments Great, I've had this sucker on my kindle forever and now have a yet another reason to finally get to it! Also a huge fan of the cover art, Corley is dang talented.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments I've had this book on Audible forever, as I try to get everything narrated by the awesome RC Bray....I am afraid I have been a naughty girl- once I saw that this book *might* win the group poll, I started listening to it....and I listened to the entire book is one sitting a few nights ago! OOPS! Of course, I will still be popping into this group thread to see what other ppl thought of it....anyone else have the Audible version? I highly recommend it! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

I've read it three times already, and plan on re-reading it again this month. This is one of those books that I "discover" a little something new every time I read it. :D

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattical) | 565 comments The Elementals is one of my favorite books ever. :)

message 6: by Ami (new)

Ami | 199 comments :) looking forward to reading this.

message 7: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 155 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I've had this book on Audible forever, as I try to get everything narrated by the awesome RC Bray....I am afraid I have been a naughty girl- once I saw that this book *might* win the group poll, I ..."

don't have it on audible, but may have to pick it up. I enjoyed RC Bray's narrating quite a bit.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments RC Bray is awesome. I mean, I intended to "just listen to the first few minutes, just to check it out in case it wins the group read"...8.5 hours later, I was STILL listening as the words THE END- AUDIBLE HOPES YOU HAVE ENJOYED THIS PRESENTATION were said. RC Bray does that to a person! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 9: by Sania (new)

Sania | 10 comments Had this one on my tbr list since forever but never got the time to read it.
Excited to finally starting now!!

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I read this the other month, as it happens.
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Ami (new)

Ami | 199 comments I can't decide on if I want to read the kindle version or if I want to listen to it on audible. Hmm....

message 12: by Char (new)

Char  | 13898 comments Mod
Since this won, I will probably be listening to it again during this month. It will be my third time around with book and I'm still looking forward to it because it's just so damn good. :)

message 13: by Char (new)

Char  | 13898 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens."

I understand where you're coming from Benjamin, but I cheerfully disagree!

(view spoiler)

Perhaps I'll feel differently this time around, but I don't think so. :)

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Char wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens."

[spoilers removed]

Perhaps I'll feel differently this ti..."

Fourth read for me--and that atmosphere is something I can never get over! (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 41 comments Picked it up today.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Picked it up today."

I hope you love it!! :)

message 17: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens.

I really like the build-up and the atmosphere, especially the decaying houses being gradually swallowed by sand, but I felt the climax of the book under..."

This is in my top twenty reads of all time. I loved the atmosphere. Reading late at night with the lights low made it almost palpable. It's all about opinion, of course, but I felt like the ending fitted perfectly.

message 18: by Benjamin (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:43AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Kimberly wrote: "Char wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens."

[spoilers removed]

Perhaps I'll feel differ..."

That's entirely fair! I just think I have an issue with
(view spoiler)
I enjoyed it otherwise, though!

message 19: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Benjamin wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Char wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens."

[spoilers removed]

Perhaps..."

I take your point, and - depending on the particulars of the story - it's something I often agree with. Though, with The Elementals, I felt there was just the right amount of explanation. Either way, a very good book!

message 20: by Dustin (new)

Dustin This sounds terrific!!

Thankee again, Char, for the most encouraging and heartfelt (as always) review!

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

David wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Char wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I read this the other month, as it happens."

[spoilers ..."

Definitely a favorite of mine, too!

message 22: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3156 comments This is a brilliant book! You guys are in for a treat.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Great book. I read it for the first time this past November while on vacation. Perfect book to read at a beach or late at night with the sound of the ocean :)

message 24: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I've had this book on Audible forever, as I try to get everything narrated by the awesome RC Bray....I am afraid I have been a naughty girl- once I saw that this book *might* win the group poll, I ..."

I‘ll be listening to it too. Love RC Bray!

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 41 comments So far so good but Id like to see it pick a bit it isn't holding my attention as I had hoped.

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

This one is more of a slow-burn; especially in the beginning.

message 27: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I will start this as soon as I Finish Stephen King's the Stand. It's okay - I only have 10 out of 46 hours of the audiobook to go. Wait the Elementals is only 8 hours on audio. LOL

message 28: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 155 comments This reminded me I need to get started!

message 29: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hanson-Brown (dozerpup711) | 33 comments 20% in and I’m liking it so far. It has the hallmarks of a good southern gothic without being too overtly lugubrious. It IS a bit of a slow burn, but not so much that I want to put it down for good.

message 30: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10841 comments Mod
if anyone comes across this line & scene, please let me know the direct quote. I think ? this is where I remember it from.

ok, so the Luker is standing with Odessa's girl and she's trying to tell him something. Luker tells her no one cares.
that has stuck with me so strongly but I'm not sure I'm remembering it right or if it was even in this book. I hope everyone likes it. it sure is a great one!

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Latasha wrote: "if anyone comes across this line & scene, please let me know the direct quote. I think ? this is where I remember it from.

ok, so the Luker is standing with Odessa's girl and she's trying to tell..."

I've read it three times, and I don't remember that at all..... hmmm... I'll be re-reading it again soon, and I "usually" have a photographic memory when it comes to text in a physical book, so I should know soon. ;)

message 32: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10841 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "if anyone comes across this line & scene, please let me know the direct quote. I think ? this is where I remember it from.

ok, so the Luker is standing with Odessa's girl and she'..."

I usually don't either but maybe it was in the Blackwater series or I dreamed it? I wouldn't rule either out just yet lol.

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hanson-Brown (dozerpup711) | 33 comments Please tell me I’m not the only one who keeps reading “Lurker” every time Luker makes an appearance.

message 34: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I have just finished Stephen King's the Stand and will be starting this tomorrow. It will be my first Southern Gothic.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Daniel wrote: "Please tell me I’m not the only one who keeps reading “Lurker” every time Luker makes an appearance."

I've read it so often, that Luker is an actual name to me now!! LOL!

message 36: by Ami (last edited Apr 09, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

Ami | 199 comments Daniel wrote: "Please tell me I’m not the only one who keeps reading “Lurker” every time Luker makes an appearance."

Omg, his name is Luker?? -.-; I have the audio and thought the narrator kept saying Luger!

I just finished the audio. Man that book went fast, for a slow burner... It was just so good I found I was sticking my ear buds in and listening to it wherever I went and with whatever I did. I really liked it a lot. The location felt like another character from the very begining. It was creepy and a tension builder. I didn't have a problem with the elementals being explained too much, because it still left plenty of questions to wonder about. But, I did have a little bit of a problem with the very, VERY end - (view spoiler)

message 37: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Tyler | 13 comments Just finished this and I’m still trying to get my thoughts into something approaching order. Loved the atmosphere and it is genuinely unsettling. You can feel the heat radiating off the pages. I felt that the ending was a bit rough and had to re read some of it. In fairness I do have a three week old son and am largely existing on caffeine and sugar so it is probably me. Really enjoyed it and will read it again in the future

message 38: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina | 63 comments I finally got it. Book depository has been so slow lately. It looks like it ain't too long though so I will be caught up in a few days

message 39: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Mills | 13 comments I really enjoyed this book. Loved the setting, it really gave it a ghostly feel. Left wanting more but it didn't feel forced with too much horror so probably got the balance just right.

message 40: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments I liked it too. I haven't been around to comment but it was a good read. I like the idea of the sand slowly eating the house.