Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice discussion

When did Mr. Darcy understand he loves Lizzie?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daniela He saw her at the ball and said she was a"tolerable"... when was that moment he fell for her?

Ícaro I think he felt in love when Lizzie went to take care of her sister. She didn´t care about the mud or the long way for seeing her sister.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it was a series of moments - he was attracted to her at the ball, and everytime they met his affection grew. They talk about it at the end, when Lizzy says she was in love without even realising

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Manning I think that Mr. Darcy realized that Elizabeth was not the usual young woman who was caught up in vanity and more concerned with how she could attract a man of wealthy means, also he was attracted to her from the beginning by her lovely eyes, it was only the fact that he was indeed proud and prejudice because she was not a young woman of wealth. Lets be real on the physical level he was indeed attracted to her but because he was of the aristocracy he did not want his friends to think ill of him because he was taking a intrest in a young lady of little means. Darcy was faced with the fact that he was very much attracted to Lizzy and he had to find the courage to be able to act on his feelings. That's why he botched his proposal to her by not saying from the beginning that he loved her instead of talking about his station in life and going against his family and friends to have her. No woman would have accepted him with a backhanded proposal like that. He should have said how muchhe adored her!

Teresa Naidoo She actually answers this question in the end
``My beauty you had early withstood, and as for my manners -- my behaviour to you was at least always bordering on the uncivil, and I never spoke to you without rather wishing to give you pain than not. Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?''

``For the liveliness of your mind, I did.''

``You may as well call it impertinence at once. It was very little less. The fact is, that you were sick of civility, of deference, of officious attention. You were disgusted with the women who were always speaking, and looking, and thinking for your approbation alone. I roused, and interested you, because I was so unlike them. Had you not been really amiable, you would have hated me for it; but in spite of the pains you took to disguise yourself, your feelings were always noble and just; and in your heart, you thoroughly despised the persons who so assiduously courted you. There -- I have saved you the trouble of accounting for it; and really, all things considered, I begin to think it perfectly reasonable. To be sure, you knew no actual good of me -- but nobody thinks of that when they fall in love.''

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Manning Yes Elizabeth explains to Darcy how she felt he first cell in love with her but in my opinion she was still rather arrogant and self absorbed with how she gives her little speech to him. What woman you know does not just tell the man she is in love with that she simply adores him for who he is. In truth Darcy was much more in love with her than she was with him. In all her immaturity Elizabeth and her sisters were vain and silly young women as a lot of young women tend to be in these romance novels. That's why we are so entertained by their stories. We love to see how amusingly charming the characters are portrayed. Real love takes time to build and maintain through truly getting to know the person, and trusting that they are caring about your needs above their own or as well as your own. I think that Darcy showed that he was the better person by immediately apologizing to her after his botched proposal,and even after being told off to his face by Elizabeth. He even wished her well in life. Elizabeth on the other hand said nothing. She put her faith in a no good man like George Whickam. Darcy showed his love by what he did for her family when her sister ran off with Whickam. He in truth did not have to do anything,but if I were Elizabeth I would have judged him by his unselfish character and kindness, she in truth had to wait to see what a great man he really was.

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Manning Please forgive any misspelling in my coments.

message 8: by Maja (last edited May 06, 2018 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja I think he fell for her bit by bit. From the first time their eyes met, to the words "barely tolerable", to her walking to Netherfield making her petticoat all muddy just to see Jane... That was all sparks. But I don't think they truly had a strong connection until Liz visited Pemberley where Darcy could watch her grow fond of his home and his sister. She opned up to him there, and that's when they truly started falling in love in my opinion.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Ann wrote: "Yes Elizabeth explains to Darcy how she felt he first cell in love with her but in my opinion she was still rather arrogant and self absorbed with how she gives her little speech to him. What woman..."

Honestly, with that little speech I think she was teasing him. We see her making fun of him throughout the book, and while this speech isn't very much different at first glance, this is her way of telling him how she sees him now. She distinguishes him from his aunt (and Mr. Collins), whose behavior they both dislike by saying he was sick of deference. By calling him amiable and his feelings noble and just, she's trying to apologize for what she said during her outburst after his first try, as well as saying what she actually thinks of him now.

Obviously she's going about it in a very roundabout manner, but at least this time they're having fun.

And the thing is, Darcy actually did change during the book. His behavior at Netherfield (especially those conversations in the parlor while Elizabeth is looking after Jane! ugh they make me cringe) was self-conscious and self-absorbed, even though the good qualities that come out later were still there. His apology and letter after the Rosings proposal were, and he admits this, full of bitterness and resentment. It was too soon after his rejection and the cold shock of awareness that Elizabeth gave him for him to wholeheartedly mean what he said.

As for Elizabeth, she put her faith in a no-good man like George Wickham because that's what he wanted her to do, and he manipulated her into doing it. Despite her cynical views Elizabeth was still quite sheltered, which no one can really hold against her, being a rich young lady in Regency England. She had no experience dealing with men like George Wickham. Her sympathy and generous nature were exactly what he preyed upon. He didn't tell her the truth and she didn't see a way of knowing she wasn't being told the truth, so of course she trusted him. True, it was a lapse in judgement for her not to ask Darcy for his side of the story and for this to encourage her dislike of Darcy and favor of Wickham, but that's part of her character arc.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Manning For me this book was definitely about how the young women of that day were more self absorbed with their looks and attracting a man of wealth and standing in society rather than the character of that person.Elizabeth Bennett and her sisters were women in my opinion no woman should model themselves after.It's amusing to read about the circumstances that these characters find themselves thrown in and how they could have avoided their misfortunes by being honest, not judgemental and simply by being themselves.