Archive: Other Books > The Alice Network - Quinn - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
The Alice Network - Quinn
Audio performance by Saskia Maarleveld
4 stars

Sometimes I feel that I cannot get out of WW2 in my reading. This time the only way I could escape WW1 was through the 2nd war and the decade that followed it. I do mean escape. The writing of this duel plot book was suspenseful. It pulled me in and I was afraid for my life. I can’t imagine doing the work these female spies did. I can believe that physical survival would never erase the emotional scars.

I appreciate that this book was about more than the heroics. It’s about the aftermath, and the possibility of healing. All of the characters in this book have been emotionally damaged by war. Poor little rich girl, Charlie St. Claire, was so annoying to me at first. I almost gave up on the audiobook. I’m glad that I did not. It becomes clear that she is also a casualty of war. Safety on the homefront couldn’t protect her from traumatic loss.

The voice performance of this book was excellent, but audiobooks move too slowly for me when lives are at stake. I didn’t want to buy a text copy of the book, but I spent an hour at the Noble flipping pages rapidly through the tight spots. After I listened to the (slightly too neat and happy) ending, I went back to the store to read the author’s notes. The historical background of the book is daunting and facinating. Phenominally strong women. Why don’t we all know their names?

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments There are endless examples of heroics all through history. It amazes me how there are always people there that put "right" above self. Also, even though people went through the same situation and circumstances, each person's experiences are so drastically different. WW I and II stories will never become tiresome. (maybe for a minute or so but then right back to em')

message 3: by Cynda (last edited Mar 26, 2018 04:32PM) (new)

Cynda JGrace, I read this book too as I had been enamoured of the tv series "The Bletchley Circle". The series follows women post-war who had served in WWII as secret English code-breakers in Bletchley Park. They women now solve murder mysteries in England. With your interest, have you yet watched It?

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments Cynda wrote: "JGrace, I read this book too as I had been enamoured of the tv series "The Bletchley Circle". The series follows women post-war who had served in WWII as secret English code-breakers in Bletchley P..."

Yes, I seen some of the shows. Maybe a seasons worth? I'm not sure if there were more episodes.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

A really thoughtful review, Jgrace. I own the PB copy and have a good feeling about it after reading the comments here. I understand what you mean about Sometimes I feel that I cannot get out of WW2 in my reading. There seems to be a lot of historical fiction books on the subject.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments I just LOVED this one! I thought it was unique. I too can get lost in WW2, (this was World War One), but the angle of the female spies and the dual time storyline totally grabbed. Not to mention feisty heroines.