World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > April 2018 Lesser-Known Books Group Read - Nominations extended to 2 April

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Mar 25, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

Alex (asato) April 2018 Lesser-Known Book of the Month (BoM) Group Read
Welcome! As usual, this group read is to be selected by you, the members. To differentiate ourselves from most other groups, this group read focuses on lesser-known authors and books.

Note: We also run another group read called the "Open Group Read". The Open Group Read is the conventional group read wherein you can nominate any book. Books by the same author cannot be nominated to both group reads in the same month.

Important: The nomination process has changed. Simply, post a nomination in this thread.

* The nomination process ends on 2 April at 11:59PM Pacific Time.
Note: I started late, so I'm extending the deadline.

* The final selection process ends on 8 April at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

* After the book has been selected, we will also nominate and select a matching film of the month.

Mission Statement
This Lesser-Known Books group read is intended to provide exposure for lesser-known authors and books, as determined by the members, by having the members select a set of books (optionally by genre). If multiple books are selected for the group read then at least one must be a member book.

What is a lesser-known book?
A lesser-known author or book has the following general attributes:
* Only has a few reviews and ratings (Goodreads or Amazon)--the number is typically in the single digits, although it could also be the middle to low hundreds
* Does not have thousands of ratings or reviews
* Hasn’t won or been nominated for any awards
* Is not on any major bestsellers list
* Is not an acknowledged classic

Some examples of lesser-known works are practically any member book.

If a dispute arises as to the qualifications of a book as a lesser-known work, then common sense and consensus would prevail. In the case of a deadlock, a moderator decision would be binding.

Nomination Process
1) Post a nomination in this thread.

Note: An author may nominate their own book.

2) Authors must wait until the 6th month after one of their books has been chosen as a group read--on either the open or lesser-known group read--before they are eligible for nomination again. For example, for this month's group read, the most recent month for which an author's book could have been the group read is October 2017.

Final Selection Process
To promote the broadest participation possible, we use a form of approval voting. In this voting system, you should vote for all of the books that you want to read. The nominee with the most votes would become the BoM. In this way, you don't need to vote for a book just because you think it will win even though you'd rather read another one. Instead, you can vote for both of them!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Two more days left to nominate!

The nomination process ends on 2 April at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Survival by Rachel Watts - mainly because I've just bought it :)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Because of low participation, I'm canceling this month's group read. We might have a new system for group reads, soon.

Leonie: do you want to see if anyone wants to do a buddy read?

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Alex wrote: "Because of low participation, I'm canceling this month's group read. We might have a new system for group reads, soon.

Leonie: do you want to see if anyone wants to do a buddy read?"

If anyone would like to, that'd be lovely :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Survival (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Watts (other topics)