Lightbringer Read-Along discussion

Other Discussions > Gunner's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments Has anyone else had a chance to read or hear Weeks read, one of his newer 'shorts'? Let's hear some opinions, anyone think that we will see some influence from this scene in the lightbringer storyline? If you haven't read it, I advise you to avoid this topic until you have and to immediately get a hold of it to read!

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad | 8 comments I've been holding off just in case it spoils anything in The Blinding Knife, as I haven't finished that yet. is it safe or should I go ahead and read it?

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments Hmm, personally, I would hold off until you finish the blinding knife. It won't necessarily reveal anything, but it does involve the story beyond bk...I'd hate to ruin it for you, so I won't say much beyond that yet haha...

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad | 8 comments cool, thanks for the warning. Ill keep it tucked safely away for later.

message 5: by Bear (new)

Bear | 3 comments Has anybody read it yet?
Soooooo want to talk!!!!

message 6: by Austin (new)

Austin | 2 comments I have! What did you think?

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments I loved it! It made me even more excited to read the broken eye. Of course, I was so glad when I read the additional explanation, because it wouldn't know how to deal with two major characters dying.

But this is just one more way that BW has fun with his readers. And honestly, I'm not so sure he wouldn't do something like this at some point. I like the fact that he's willing to push the envelope a little.

As for the story itself...I hope that the apprentice to gunner part is true. It wouldn't be that difficult to make happen and gunner seems to be an important character, so that would fit well. Kip would be fairly formidable with his Guile intelligence, blackguard training, polychromacy, superchromacy, and on top of that a marksman...

message 8: by Austin (new)

Austin | 2 comments Honestly I hope he gets more training with colors right now because he still can't do nearly as much as he should be able to. If you think about it the only colors he can use consistently right now are blue and green. I do hope he trains with Gunner sometime because he still isn't a good fighter and that would really help at least train him into a decent gun man.

If that happened to Liv I honestly wouldn't really care because she has really turned into someone I don't really like. I know we aren't supposed to like her right now and soon she is either going to realize she is on the wrong side and she will turn against the color prince or she will become the super violet god and someone will kill her but I never thought she was a great character anyway.

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad | 8 comments So, I know I should've been avoiding these comments since I hadn't read it yet, but I've been reading them anyway. And the stuff yall were describing sounded really familiar. I opened it up and read the intro by Brent and almost laughed out loud.

I was at one of his signings where he read this to us. It was so cool to watch him toy with his fans. Some of the people in the audience were really confused and others were excited. His smirk at the end when he confessed to lying looked like that of a mad man's.

Had he not said it was a lie, I would have believed it would happen. If anyone could write something like that and make it work, Brent could.

As far as what I thought about it, I kinda have to agree with Austin. I'm not a huge fan of Liv, so seeing that happen to her isn't a big deal to me. It would give Kip even more reason to fight and seek revenge so it would work well for the plot to. But I don't want anything to happen to Kip. He's an underdog in this story and its fun watching as he improves and learns more.

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments Haha, I probably should've said that it was included in his signings too.

I think what is important to understand about Liv though is her and her satrapy's backstory. Yes, she is on the Color Prince's side, but it illustrates how murky right and wrong can be. She goes into it as a skeptic and buys into the lifestyle...but she questions the truth of it all as she transitions. I have a hard time not liking her because it is so easy to see how she could get mixed up. I'm not sure what the chromeria expected from tyreans with everything that they did to them...

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments Also, definitely he needs more work with drafting...I'm hoping that he comes across Gunner and Gavin/Dazen and just gets training for both at the same time.

message 12: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (asia83) | 21 comments Maybe it's Dazen who gets trained, not Kip?

message 13: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hayes | 6 comments Liv was probably one of my favorite characters for most of the 2nd book. When she chose to risk killing Kip with the Green bane though...grr I was so upset ^_^

So much of the Color Prince's vision is good, the Chromeria is so horrible. But no one seems to have a good solution. Maybe Gavin(Dazen)'s uber secret plan will save everything? Hope beyond hope :)

message 14: by Jael (last edited Jul 28, 2014 10:07PM) (new)

Jael (jaelll) | 4 comments If I was honest with myself, I dislike Liv, but only because I'm on Gavin (born Dazen) and Kip's side of the war. I mean, given her background story and experience growing up in Tyrea, I find that I can understand her decisions. But I also love Gavin so anyone who opposes him instantly gets into my "list". To cut a long story short, no, I wasn't upset with what happened to her, though I do hope she gets a better death than executed for being a spy.

Then there's what Brent wrote at the end of the story so everything I said above is pretty much moot.

That said, I really wish that Kip can become apprenticed to Gunner! Added bonus if he can actually lose 9/10 of his fat (I used to be obese myself and I understand every freaking thing he experienced, all the way from lumbering like a milk cow while your friends run like powerful tigers and graceful deers to the pants that keep falling down when you run because you don't have a freaking waist)

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarc) | 16 comments Since Gunner's Apprentice is a joke on us by Mr Weeks it's kind of silly to try to speculate that it will have ANY significance in the Broken Eye. He was just proving to us and the naysayers that he could kill off the hero if he wants to.

message 16: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Phelps | 9 comments I have a hard time believing that a writer would scrap any of their writing entirely. Yes this short was Weeks having fun with us, but I think there's something we can learn from it too. It provides some possible insight into the direction the story could be heading. I think there is more theory of the story's direction that can be gleaned with this short than without it. That's the point of this topic...what new insights/theories can we build from the inclusion of the short.

message 17: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Wintringham | 32 comments As much as i would hate Weeks for this... I think it'd go a long way as far as shock value in the literature world if it was real. As long as its done well i'd respect him all the more for this (after i stopped crying of course).

message 18: by Slick (last edited Aug 30, 2015 05:33AM) (new)

Slick | 13 comments Never been so bent over by an author before reading this.
I really want to be mad but I just laughed...