Play Book Tag discussion

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
This topic is about Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Archive: Other Books > Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hilde (hilded) | 388 comments Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is characterized as fiction, but he story itself is very much autobiographical. The protagonist is adopted by a very religious family in Northern England, where she becomes part of a wake-up movement, and later on discovers herself as a lesbian, tearing the family and her inner circle apart. The book was beautifully written, and I look forward to reading more books by Winterson. The use of fairy tales and the title was nicely weaved into Jeanette’s coming of age story, symbolizing her disconnect from others and her struggle to find her path in a world where the beliefs of her community are in conflict with who she is.

Really enjoyed this one.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve not read this but I read her Christmas book and loved her writing. I’ve got Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, the autobiographical version of Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, on my Kobo waiting to be read.

Hilde (hilded) | 388 comments I have that book on my wishlist well, heard many good things about it. I have one of her later books Written on the Body waiting for me on my shelf, so need to get to that at one point.

Nicole D. | 1482 comments My favorite of hers is The Passion

Hilde (hilded) | 388 comments Thanks Nicole, maybe 'The Passion' should be my next Winterson book then :)

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments The Passion is my favorite too. Love this author. I enjoyed this book too

Hilde (hilded) | 388 comments Thanks Jen, it's now added to my wishlist 😊

message 8: by Cynda (last edited Mar 26, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Cynda I am bummed that the library here does not have a copy. I know so many people love that book.
The library does have The Daylight Gate also by Jeanette Winterson. It was really good too. About Witch Hunt in England.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I really liked this one too. I need to read more of this author's work.