What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Monastery
This topic is about Monastery
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Vampires, ex-military main character, nuclear reactor on island. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Shanks | 3 comments I've been trying to find this book for quite a few years and was led here from a member after posting in Yahoo! Answers. Hoping I request help from you properly.
I used to read, a LOT. I bought most of my books from flea markets/yard sales, used book stores, etc. I had a book that was called 'The Mausoleum' and it was excellent, but I have tried for years to find it again after I had a lot of books stolen. Only wanted to replace a few and this was one of them. Beginning to suspect the cover was replaced with wrong title and I did not know, as I can not find this book, anywhere (been searching / requesting help for years in many places).
The story was about a 'tough guy' (ex army or whatever) retired on a large island that had a nuclear power plant on it. A nice, slow paced island to retire and relax on. College kids, I believe doing a project, dealing with the church/history, release a vampire from a mausoleum (think under the church), and it slowly starts taking over people, including the main character's little 'mentally challenged' buddy that visits him every day (which royally ticks him off because he is not a 'people person' but enjoys his visits). The 'main' vampire and the ex-military guy go head to head a few times throughout the story.
(PLOT SPOILER AHEAD) He eventually discovers the reason vamps cannot go out in daylight is due to the sun's radiation (not just bright 'light') and lures them into the nuclear plant on the island, releases some of the radiation and it's enough to destroy them... cannot remember if it was 'all' of them, but believe it was, and I am pretty sure it nails him, too (no pun intended lol).
Any help would be appreciated as I am now trying to find it right now (again) in order to get it and give my GF for her birthday because she's wanting to read it after I described it (in more detail) to her and why I was wanting to replace it.
Again, the title may be (think it most likely IS, now) incorrect as I've searched this title and story lines, repeatedly, to no avail, and I know I had bought a couple fake cover books in the past, glued on just right; one was a mystery cover over a Harlequin Romance book lol
The book would have been pre-1994 as I was reading significantly more on a night-shift set of contracts at that time.
Thank you for any help!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Monastery (1988) by Patrick Whalen?

One Goodreads reader says, "I really liked the elegant vampire playing the starring role. A real gentleman. Quite a different vampire story and a really brutal one. Isolated island, vampires start to kill, ex POW turned killer (!) fights vampires. By the way those vampires face another enemy: radiation from a nuclear power plant. Great story, fluent read, all the cliches you need. I wondered why no one made a movie out of this story so far."

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Shanks | 3 comments WOW, whoever answered and led me here was dead on. I've been looking for this for years and every description was wrong. Oddly enough, that author sounds familiar, but not sure.... maybe description given, if ran across it, was way off!
I agree with the review given in your post; would have made/would make one great movie from what I remember of the book.
Thanks again; a huge thanks!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Are you confirming it's your book?

message 5: by Philip (new)

Philip Shanks | 3 comments Yes, it is the one I spent years look for!! Thank you.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Phillip. I got lucky by searching Goodreads reviews using Google:

Google search -- site:www.goodreads.com vampires nuclear island

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Monastery (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick Whalen (other topics)