World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments As we have underage members and some non-alcohol- drinking members (do we?), we can't compare solely alcoholic beverages, therefore we might take a peek at another competition.
Coke's leading, the gap is widening. Not sure any of the drinks will make it into the 22-nd century, but both still have a sizable market: http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/20/news/...
It's kinda amusing that Pepsi was sold in the USSR, while Coke - not, last deal before USSR's Big Bang being a 3 billion USD worth barter of Pepsi for vodka and ships to carry it: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/10/bu... -:)

Which 1 do u prefer, if any?

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Coke Zero: no sugar, zero calories, about as tasty as original Coke.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 51 comments Coke all day! Yes soda is about the worst thing in the world...but a cold Coke is unbeatable

message 4: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Just try to refuse a cold Coke after working hard physically Under a hot Sun.

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5382 comments Coca Cola lost me when they came out with New Coke. They claim to have gone back to the original formula, but it doesn't taste the same. Why mess with a winning formula in the first place? Whose idea was that? I'm now a Pepsi aficionado. So far, Pepsi hasn't come out with a New Pepsi.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments So far 2-1, Coke's ahead -:) An equalizer or maybe widening the lead?

message 7: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments I can't drink Pepsi, but I love old Coke. I buy the bottles imported from Mexico. Very different from what they sell in a can or from a drink fountain in the U.S..

Since we're on the topic, I've noticed that soda tastes different in other countries than it does from the cans currently available in the U.S. I had a can of 7up in Cambodia and it brought back memories of what 7up used to taste like in the late 80s/early 90s (good stuff). Also had a can of Coke in Iceland that was as good as the bottled coke made in Mexico. The common denominator of the good stuff is the flavor is thick and rich without being sickeningly sweet and it is not overly carbonated like what is available here.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Love diet pepsi. And pepsi should get an extra point for producing mountain dew.

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 51 comments I used to love Mountain Dew, but they put brominated vegetable oil in it and that actually messes with hydration.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9531 comments Whatever you think about Coke, it is NOT the real thing, or anything like the original. Basically the cocaine is missing, and I believe the cola is too. I saw a recipe for it, (which might not be quite what is commercially produced) and two key ingredients are molasses (for the brown colour) and phosphoric acid (for the sharper taste - and to erode your teeth.) As an aside, thanks to the phosphoric acid coke makes a fair rust treatment liquid :-)

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Ok, so it's 3-2 now, with Ian's being neutral and warning everyone to not like either drink lest they render us toothless -:)

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I don't like Pepsi at all. I drink Coke occasionally, with my preferred soft drink (if I'm drinking it) being ginger beer or lime and soda, but on the whole I'm a water drinker.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Coke drinker. Not happy with the Coca Cola Co. for ruining a good thing, but still better than the alternative. I definitely prefer the Coke imported from Mexico, made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

Look, if the Coca Cola people don't want to use their old recipe, what can it hurt to hand it out? The corporate stooges who run the show should have enough confidence to stand behind the unnecessarily sweet product they have forced on us and give us a chance to make our own REAL Coca-Cola.

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9531 comments I am more in the Leonie camp. I drink very few soft drinks, mainly hydrating through water, tea or coffee, with some fruit juice.

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9531 comments Nik wrote: "Ok, so it's 3-2 now, with Ian's being neutral and warning everyone to not like either drink lest they render us toothless -:)"

Use fluoridated toothpaste :-) Calcium fluoroapatite is more resistant to coke than the hydroxyapatite you were given in your teeth.

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5382 comments My dad taught me to pour Coke on the corroded battery terminals of my car.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9531 comments That would work, as long as you did not pour enough to short the two terminals out.

message 18: by Vince (new)

Vince Loggia | 51 comments Pepsi! Definitely....better bubbles.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 31, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

Definitely Coke! It's like Ford VS Nissan for me... the stronger one all the way... Hehe!

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie | 569 comments If I had to choose between the two - Pepsi for me. But I also use to drink Dr. Pepper all the time and still will crave one every once in awhile. :)

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments As far as I remember Pepsi was maybe the only American company that was allowed to sell in USSR. Not McDonalds, not Coca Cola or anyone else. An interesting story: https://www.businessinsider.com/ceo-o...

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 157 comments I don't drink either one. But the main character in one of my favorite mystery series was a big Pepsi drinker, so I guess if I was into cola, I'd drink that.

message 23: by Beau (new)

Beau | 826 comments Water, tea, fruit juice and alcohol make up my weekly fluid intake. I enjoy a can of Coke once in a blue moon (bottles don't taste the same) but can't be doing with the zero stuff or any type of Pepsi.

Cheers!

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela Karnes (angelakarnes) | 11 comments I prefer Pepsi as far as straight pop but I buy more Coke as almost all of my friends prefer Coke (straight and as a mixer)

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5382 comments My dad was a faithful Coke drinker until they came out with New Coke. He then switched to Pepsi. I think Pepsi learned not to mess with their formula.

message 26: by Marie (new)

Marie | 569 comments I know this is a Coke/Pepsi thread but has anyone tried the new Dr. Pepper Zero? It is really good. I couldn't tell that it had no sugar and I like it better than regular Dr. Pepper.

message 27: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5382 comments I've tried it and it's pretty good.

message 28: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1629 comments My vote is original Coke. I have never liked Pepsi, even when I drank a lot of soda. Aside from using 7 up and club soda in mixed drinks, Coke has always been it for me.

I quit drinking very much soda at all about 30 years ago. Mostly, I drink it when I feel nauseous and when I travel as water in hotels can really taste awful so I can't make a good cup of iced tea. Mostly, I drink hot and cold tea, but have not found any commercially bottled brand that I like.