THE Group for Authors! discussion

Start Here > Book Rating Stats Now Refresh Automatically!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Jul 24, 2014 04:47PM) (new)

Emily Hey all,

I have a really exciting announcement today: our main book rating stats now refresh automatically! Since we moved to a new database a few weeks ago, our performance team has been able to speed up a couple of processes that operate on the back end.

What updates automatically?

Every time you rate a book and then refresh the page, you should see the rating count go up by 1. If you write a review and then refresh the book page, you'll see the reviews count go up by 1. The average rating will also refresh. Hooray!

As a note, this will only work for signed-in users. We still cache all signed-out pages for 12 hours, so these pages will update as normal.

This means that your author dashboard stats also refresh automatically. Your total ratings (under the Stats section at the top) and the individual rating counts for each of your books will update every time a member rates or reviews one of your works.

What doesn't update automatically?

The ratings details graph is calculated separately from the average rating count, so that will still update every 1-2 days. If the rating details graph seems to be "sticking," any librarian can go to the edit details page for a book and click the "Refresh book rating stats" link. (Ask in the Librarians Group for assistance.) That updates the rating details.

The reviews section of the book page is also still cached. Even though the latest review will cause the review count to update right away, the text of the review itself may take 1-2 days to appear on the book page.

Let me know if you see any issues with this!

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 278 comments Emily wrote: "Hey all,

I have a really exciting announcement today: our main book rating stats now refresh automatically! Since we moved to a new database a few weeks ago, our performance team has been able to ..."

Thank you, Emily, that is really good news.