YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Series Vs Standalones

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
I like both! But it's more exciting really getting to know the characters and seeing their development through a series(:

message 2: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I normally like series since I can see more of the characters, but many of my favorite books end up being standalones??

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It really depends on the book like the fault in our stars was a stand alone but harry potter is a series and I love them both

message 4: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yeah I guess it does because ii hated plotless dragged out series

message 5: by Ron (new)

Ron Scheer | 60 comments One thing about a well written series is that you can expect a character to act a certain way in a given situation because of past experience. You don't have that nearly as much with a stand alone

message 6: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Jul 28, 2014 06:22AM) (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
I like all that you guys said about a series, but these days authors seem to think writing a series is "in" and so everyone is writing a series, even though their plot is too weak even when it's not stretched out through three books. There's a whole bunch of young adult dystopias that were written as a series just for the sake of it, when they could have been much better if they were just smushed into a standalone (The Selection, Matched (according to most reviews), The Chemical Garden (again, judging by reviews), etc.)
Also, standalones are very underrated in the dystopian writing world, but I guess series work the most for that genre. On the complete opposite, I don't think series work very well with contemporaries (there are exceptions, but they mostly don't).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Amee you're right about that. The matched trilogy was a good standalone as was wither

message 8: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
I really depends on what type of book it is and how the first book ends.

message 9: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "I like all that you guys said about a series, but these days authors seem to think writing a series is "in" and so everyone is writing a series, even though their plot is too weak even when it's no..."

There are definitely more standalones in romantic/contemporary genres. I feel like the trilogy has become overused in the dystopian world. Even fantasy books (which are often series) consist not just of trilogies, but of 4 or 5 or 6 books (I can think of series of all these lengths off the top of my head). However all dystopian series now have this plot: Protagonist and Love Interest (or 2) introduced and have a fun story that pulls you in. Then bad stuff happens and the Protagonist/Love Interest begin to fight against the system for more than just themselves. Lastly they fight the government and succeed (many times unrealistically) and then happy ever after (maybe insert some important/protagonist deaths in there for a 'wow' factor)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes it depends on the first book

message 11: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "I like all that you guys said about a series, but these days authors seem to think writing a series is "in" and so everyone is writing a series, even though their plot is too weak even..."

Haha exactly! Don't forget the fact that most of the time the plot is overshadowed by the romance (most likely insta-love).

message 12: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay | 18 comments I like both for different reasons. I love a good series when it is a world I enjoy being in. Every time a new book comes out in a series I like getting to go back to somewhere I loved but going with new friends. The issue comes when the plot can't truly handle being spread so thin. There are series that I didn't really enjoy much that I probably would have liked better if they were condensed into one cohesive story without as much filler. There are also series that I love and cannot get enough of no matter how many books are in them.
As far as stand alone novels go, I love a good story no matter how long or short it is. Sure, there are times when I finish a book and wish it was a series so that there would be more but that is what re-reads are for.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I've read very few stand alones. It's pathetic!

message 14: by Rachel (last edited Jul 29, 2014 12:09PM) (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I like series more because it allows for more character development & growth and more books to read about your favorites!

message 15: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "I like all that you guys said about a series, but these days authors seem to think writing a series is "in" and so everyone is writing a series, even though their plot is ..."

Ugh- Insta love is the WORST!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I know some series just shove it in your face

message 17: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Haha don't even remind me!

message 18: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

ikr

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) For some reason I feel that series have more insta-love. Stand alones can mark themselves as romance/contemporaries and spend the whole book focused on the romance while series have a lot going on. It's always go!go!go! The romance is a side thing while the actually main plot is going on. It's a hard thing to balance. It seems that most books develop and start the relationship by midway through Book 1.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I think romances should stick to stand alones

message 21: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

tbh, even in standalones there is insta-love. Believe me. I feel like it's not really the problem with the book's genre or format, but with the authors. You can develop a good romance while there is also a solid plot and make it work - but only if you're a good writer.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I really love series,, unless I have to wait longer than a day to read the sequel!..but I also love standalones cuz its immediate closure!..with series though you can get a more detailed story and more plot twists and adventure,,which is what I love:)

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Amee wrote: "tbh, even in standalones there is insta-love. Believe me. I feel like it's not really the problem with the book's genre or format, but with the authors. You can develop a good romance while there i..."

Yup that's the key, a good writer!

message 24: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 2 comments I do enjoy series, but standalone books kinda force the author to get to the point which I like. But it gives less to time for character development. Overall I do prefer stand alone!

message 25: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yeah exactly in standalones authors are forced to fit loads of characterization where as series you get to see characters grow as change. I choose series (:

message 26: by Dawyn.S. (new)

Dawyn.S. Hunter (siotamalifagoodreadscom) | 34 comments yeah series, are awesome and i hate when i finish ,letting go is really hard

message 27: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Dawyn-same!!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I know. I part of me is gone

message 29: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Exactly

message 30: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments That is so right. You get so so attached, and then....It's OVER. And you're totally depressed and nobody gets it!

message 31: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I know right!! ):

message 32: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I know right!! ):

message 33: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 77 comments I love both. I may like series a hair more because of really getting to know the characters but sometimes it's nice to just read a stand alone. I like going back and forth

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 77 comments I love both. I may like series a hair more because of really getting to know the characters but sometimes it's nice to just read a stand alone. I like going back and forth

message 35: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments That's pretty much my thoughts.

message 36: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Alison- I feel the same way! Series you get to see characters grow and mature and you get this connection with them that by the end of a series you're heartbroken. But I like re-reading standalones! I wouldn't reread a series though.

message 37: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 364 comments Personally, I love both.

With a series you get to see the characters grow and mature throughout it and you get to spend more time with them. That is an advantage to series.
But also with series for the most part the second and third and all of the rest in the series are never as good in comparison to the first book. Sometimes I've also found that in the first book nothing is as serious, but then with the rest of the books everything gets more intense and there is more drama, by the end of the series your favorite charecter is no longer who you felt they were before.
Like with the book Slide by Jill Hathaway, it was a great book, one of my favorite. But then when she added a second book the series wasnt as good in my opinion, my favorite charecter became someone who I disliked.

Standalone books are great reads but somtimes they leave you wanting another book because the first felt unfinished, it ended well but there was a few loose ends that should have been tied up. Or you are just in love with the charecters so much that you want their story to continue.
But sometimes, if the author is great they leave you with a single book that ends exactly how you wanted it, no loose ends, no frustration with the charecters, a perfect stand alone that you can read time, and time again.

So as a lover of both series and standalones, I think that both have advantages and disadvantages.

message 38: by Nila (new)

Nila (dearnila) I prefer series because with a stand-alone you're left wondering what will happen...at least with series, you have some type of closure :)

message 39: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Passman (onetwigleekeber3) I prefer series too