YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > What Books Have Changed You As A Person?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
Looking For Alaska has definitely changed me and made me look at life differently. It taught me that we must fight through the suffering of life. It also taught me that forgiving is key to living a good life.

message 2: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's so inspiring despite the abundant emotional turmoil...it shows that you have to go through a LOT, good and bad, to fully embrace life as it is.

message 3: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Jul 27, 2014 05:44PM) (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
Most of the books that changed me as a person I've read while I was young and they were in Serbian. I know one was about anorexia, and it was written by one of my favorite Serbian contemporary authors. It was also the first "issue" book I've read, so I guess it was going to be important to me either way. It somehow made me more aware of the real consequences of media and the different mental disorders that could affect us.
Other books that have affected me in a way include The Little Prince, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, The Blue Horse, and a specific Dutch book series of which I don't know the English title and can't find anywhere over here, even though it's one of my faves ): (view spoiler)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The perks of being a wallflower is amazing to me

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Divergent

The Hunger Games

Etc

message 6: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

To kill a mockingbird has also changed me as a person. It taught me that you have to look at everything in other peoples shoes. I already did this before I read it but it taught me that you have to look at situations like that to understand why the react or respond the way they do.

And hats only one thing from the book that changed me

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I read that for school it was great

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Pride and Prejudice showed be that classics can be good!!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) To Kill A Mockingbird showed how much power words can have and reinforced standing up for what is right

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes exactly

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I'm trying to think of more... I think every book has important themes and life lessons that we can learn from

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The perks of being a wallflower?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Basically every book has good lessons :) The most popular is probably stand up for what's right, friendship, unity....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Speak was great

message 15: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (last edited Jul 29, 2014 03:32PM) (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
The Perks of Being a Wallflower taught me to cherish the little things in life and follow your heart.
Looking for Alaska taught me that LIFE IS NOT EASY, and when it gets tough, you keep on going.
To kill a Mockingbird taught me to not believe some rumors that are told, to not judge a person until you took a really long walk in their shoes, and that words can change the way a person looks out into the world.
The Hunger Games taught me to never give up, to try your hardest, and to follow your heart.
Divergent taught me that being different is okay, and that you have the power to pick your future.

In a shorter version, every single book I read changes me as a person.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha yeah each keeps a peice of my heart

message 17: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 2 comments John green's paper towns, looking for Alaska and the fault on our stars. Have definitely changed me as a person. But other books are Behind the beautiful forevers, say what you will and the giver.

message 18: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

LfA and TFIOS have changed to life as well!

message 19: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
Again, every book changes you (even if it is a minor change)

message 20: by Alice (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:49PM) (new)

Alice (alicea2500) I would have to say:
The Bible
Twilight Saga
The Great Gatsby
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
The Giver
(And a few others, more to come)

message 21: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Very true Erin

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all those alice

message 23: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicea2500) Erin wrote: "Again, every book changes you (even if it is a minor change)"

Agreed 100%

message 24: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay | 18 comments Paper Towns changed me in that it gave voice to a lot of things I was going through at the time and that I had struggled with for as long as I can remember. It will always hold a special place for me.

The Narnia books made me the reader I am so they would have to go on this list. It was the first series I read that I truly cared about and it was also the first real fantasy I had been introduced to. I now read about half fantasy novels and this was the start of that.

Lastly there is Harry Potter. Harry Potter gave me so much. There are people I know and care about that wouldn't exist in my life without these books. It was also the first thing I really immersed myself in fandom for. There were other things I loved in extreme quantities (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Lord of the Rings, etc) but this was the first time I actively sought out other people to talk to about theories and characters I couldn't get out of my head. Hogwarts will always be home no matter how old I get.

message 25: by Jam (new)

Jam | 175 comments I have to say, Tuesdays with Morrie because it taught me different things in different aspects of life (such as, love, family, friends, life and death)

message 26: by Ella Rose (new)

Ella Rose Brunton (ressax) | 18 comments I would have to say the memoir Night by Elie Wiesel. It taught me how inhumane people can become and how desperation and starvation and survival change people. Though it not really a YA. There have been several others too. Popular which is another memoir by Maya van Wegen (?) That teaches us the truth about making friends with people and how others perceive us. There have been a few others that have touched me but those two are the most important recently.