Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Books Read Because of FBR

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Mar 22, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Angela | 3580 comments Mod
What are your top three books you've read because of FBR?

message 2: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

My favourite books on FBR have been:

Deadhouse Gates - BotF #2
The Waking Fire - Draconis Memoria #1
The Bonehunters - BotF #6

message 3: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3136 comments Deadhouse Gates - Malazan BotF #2
The Bonehunters - Malazan BotF #6
Oathbringer - Stormlight Archive #3

Honorable mentions:
The Emperor's Soul
Memories of Ice

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Mar 22, 2018 06:08PM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7505 comments Mod
I'm putting 3 books I've read because of FBR:
Menagerie - Rachel Vincent
The Shadow of What Was Lost - James Islington
The Emperor's Blades - Brian Staveley

HM: Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey

I had this series on my tbr for years but never would have started it without this group. Mainly seeing how many points Laura was getting by reading it.

Hm: Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb I actually had this taken out from the library but was putting it off until I saw the buddy read for it.

message 7: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Nevernight and Illuminae by Jay Kristoff - both were languishing in my To-read list for a long time and I absolutely loved both.

Servant of the Empire by Janny Wurts and Raymond E Feist. Another series I had been intending to read for a long time but I never got around to it. FBR helped me read it and I loved it.

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Bill I'm thrilled to see you loved Kushiel's as much as I did. Kushiel's Scion was my fav of the saga so still lots of good stuff to look forward to. :)

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Bill I'm thrilled to see you loved Kushiel's as much as I did. Kushiel's Scion was my fav of the saga so still lots of good stuff to look forward to. :)"

Good to hear. Although I don’t know how she tops the first trilogy. It was insane.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Good word for it.

message 11: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2938 comments Is it more about the best books or the best buddy reads?

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I think it started best books then shifted to best BR (or books you read because of the group's influence). You can pick. :)

message 13: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Miche wrote: "Deadhouse Gates - Malazan BotF #2
The Bonehunters - Malazan BotF #6
Oathbringer - Stormlight Archive #3

Honorable mentions:
[book:The Emperor's Soul|1..."

I wonder if our top three for this would be 3 Malazan books by the end of MBotF?

message 14: by Miche (last edited Mar 23, 2018 01:53PM) (new)

Miche | 3136 comments Angela wrote: "wonder if our top three for this would be 3 Malazan books by the end of MBotF? "

Maybe, but only because I would have read Oathbringer with or without this group. Malazan, on the other hand, was brought to my attention by Scott's posts here.

Oathbringer buddy read at this group was amazing though.

message 15: by Choko (last edited Mar 23, 2018 03:40PM) (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7165 comments The Kushiel series, the Key duology, and the Janny Wurts books, but those are only some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1807 comments All Tales of the Ketty Jay books! They were all a blast.

message 17: by Siobhan (last edited Mar 24, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7797 comments There's actually loads more than 3, but...

The Blade Itself - was on my TBR but god knows how long it would have taken me to get to, and it's now on my favourites list!
The Lies of Locke Lamora - hadn't even heard of it, bought the book for the buddy read and I adored it.
Prince of Thorns - can't even remember if I'd heard of Mark Lawrence before this group, but without the push to read it again I don't know how long it would have taken me. Another excellent read, can't wait to finish the trilogy.

This group has opened my eyes to so many excellent authors, I love it!

Honourable mentions: Old Man's War, Illuminae, Warbreaker, Menagerie.

message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments 1. Children of Time
2. ASOIAF - had been wanting to pick up the series and the group finally gave me the incentive to do so
3. Deadhouse Gates and the Malazan series - picked it up because I was in between reading with no idea at all how epic the series is (also in terms of number of books).

message 20: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4187 comments Silvana wrote: "All Tales of the Ketty Jay books! They were all a blast."

They were good. I thought about adding them to my three best list. It was a tough choice.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The genesis of the group was originally to do a The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen group read so I'll use that as one.

I'll stick with series, Long Price Quartet and Broken Earth series would be two and three. Especially Broken Earth because I don't know if I ever would have gotten past those first few chapters without a push.