Horror Aficionados discussion

Video Night
This topic is about Video Night
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > April 2018 Group Read with Guest Author # 2, Adam Cesare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
This is the thread for our 2nd group read of April as we're joined by Adam Cesare. We'll be reading his classic, Video Night. Please help me welcome, Adam Cesare!

message 2: by joyce g (new)

joyce g | 30 comments Welcome Adam!

John (jrd1st) Yes! I already have this on my TBR!

Welcome Adam!

message 4: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy (kristylytle) | 83 comments Welcome!

message 5: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha (trishcollette) | 43 comments Welcome Adam!!

Michael | 2 comments I've loved his other stuff. the summer job and tribesmen were fantastic. Welcome!

Latasha (latasha513) | 10686 comments Mod
welcome Adam and thank you! this sounds like good 80's fun!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5739 comments Mod
Welcome Adam! I read the Thunderstorm version of VIDEO NIGHT last year, but never added a written review. I think I'll be joining in and re-reading with the group.

message 9: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay | 14 comments Welcome, just finished Video Night and loved it. Matt Godfrey actually turned me on to the audio book version. Fantastic job. Guess I will have to re-read it myself this time.

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles Rathert | 11 comments Jason wrote: "Welcome, just finished Video Night and loved it. Matt Godfrey actually turned me on to the audio book version. Fantastic job. Guess I will have to re-read it myself this time."

Jason wrote: "Welcome, just finished Video Night and loved it. Matt Godfrey actually turned me on to the audio book version. Fantastic job. Guess I will have to re-read it myself this time."

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Rathert | 11 comments Welcome aboard

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 42 comments Hi there Adam. I'm definitely looking forward to reading your work. I love this group & have discovered some of my favorite writers thanks to it. Welcome & glad to have you. :)

message 13: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt (mattgodfrey) | 5 comments Lets do this Adam!!

Char  | 13722 comments Mod
Hey, Adam! Great to see you here!

I'm actually listening to the audio of Video Night right now! Narrated by Matt Godfrey who I see commented just above me. Hi Matt!

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments Just stopped in to day hi guys and ga----

Oh Godfrey's here?

Nevermind.

message 16: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments But really. Thanks for having me. I'll try to do my best to stop in daily during the month of April.

To anyone who picks up the book: thank you, I hope you enjoy it. It's my first novel, so I'm barely the same person who wrote it, but I think it exemplifies the enthusiasm I have for the genre, and maybe serves as a precursor to what my work is trending towards.

Despite having written a lot of books that are period pieces, I actually am not a hyper nostalgic guy. I don't like nostalgia and in writing, I think it can lead to a lot of lazy shorthand when it comes to developing characters and themes. So this book is a younger me getting the "venom" of nostalgia out of his system, and hopefully the book holds up.

Okay. I'll stop philosophizing, just figured I'd introduce it with that. See you once the group read starts in earnest.

message 17: by Elke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elke (misspider) | 612 comments Welcome Adam and thanks for offering this group read!

Another month for a book I wanted to dig into for some time now...no more excuses on this one! And the story seems to be perfect for a holiday read (Easter holiday just started over here).

Jason Davis (hajasonrdavis) | 11 comments This was already downloaded and ready to go. Looking forward to reading this book.

message 19: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Nice! Welcome, Adam!

message 20: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Welcome, Adam!

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments Excellent to meet you all and am so happy at all who've picked up/been looking to get into the book. Makes me really happy and eager to see what ya'll think.

message 22: by Char (last edited Mar 27, 2018 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know we haven't officially started yet, but I'm over halfway through the audio of this and I'm having a freaking blast!

I do have a thing for creature features so I'm sure that accounts for part of it, but this book is also fast paced, creative and nasty! Just how I like my creature features to be.

I would say to anyone considering joining in: if you're a fan of Lansdale's The Drive-In, Gonzalez' Clickers, or any of Hunter Shea's creature feature books, (there are too many to list!), you will most likely love Video Night: A Novel of Alien Horror

message 23: by Ginger (last edited Mar 29, 2018 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ginger | 3247 comments Welcome Adam! It will be the first time for me to read one of your books.
I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Heyyyy, Ginger! I'm glad you made it! :)

I finished reading the book and I did post a review if anyone is interested. (I listened to the audio version.)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ginger | 3247 comments Char wrote: "Heyyyy, Ginger! I'm glad you made it! :)"

It was your great review that got me on the Video Night bandwagon! :D

Re-read and actually WROTE and posted a review this time!! (On GRs, Amazon, and Amazon UK). :D Looking forward to the discussions!

Ginger wrote: "Char wrote: "Heyyyy, Ginger! I'm glad you made it! :)"

It was your great review that got me on the Video Night bandwagon! :D"

That's good to know and thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments Thanks so much for the review, Char! And great meeting everyone. Hope you enjoy it, Ginger.

Jason Davis (hajasonrdavis) | 11 comments Posted my review last night. Excellent book. Really fun read that combined many elements that I enjoyed.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Man, I was really hoping to get to this one this month, but I don't think it's going to happen now - bummer. :-(

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Wait, I just saw there's an audiobook - I'm in! I've been wanting to get to this one for a while. Woohoo!

Robert wrote: "Wait, I just saw there's an audiobook - I'm in! I've been wanting to get to this one for a while. Woohoo!"

Yep! It's good too! :)

Ginger | 3247 comments Just because of my current reading list, I won't be able to start this until the beginning of next week. Looking forward to it!

message 35: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments You can do it, Robert! Enjoy :)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
Started this one today and quickly read through the first chapter. I can already tell this is going to be my kind of book.

Ginger | 3247 comments Ken wrote: "Started this one today and quickly read through the first chapter. I can already tell this is going to be my kind of book."

I agree Ken! I started it this weekend and the first chapter was fantastic. Pulls you right into the story. :D

Ginger | 3247 comments Just got to Ch7 in the book. I'm really enjoying the characterization of Billy and Tom. They have an interesting friendship since they are so different.
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Elke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elke (misspider) | 612 comments Finally started reading the book and about 14% in.

My first assumption was that Chapter 1 may describe a movie the guys were watching, as a little introductory surprise, but then I noticed I was already waist-high in the middle of the main plot ;) Adam, you definitely don't waste time to start a story!

I like the retro atmosphere spread by Video Night, as the 80s will always remain the decade that had the most impact on me.

I remember the first VHS recorder, though I never rented videos, as it's sole purpose was to record all those TV shows I couldn't watch in time. Only later did I start purchasing movies and collecting the X-Files season boxes (which by now have been replaced with one small DVD box, sigh).

It's fun to read the bickering between Billy (my favorite character so far) and Tom, and that they are friends despite of their different characters, like Ginger already mentioned.

I have an idea how the story will continue, but I'm open to surprises. Either way I'm sure I will enjoy it.

I LOVE the "80's themed novels"--so much fun!

message 41: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments Loving the nostalgia flowing through everyone's veins, and all the kind words. Thanks so much everyone, both on and off of the boards. I've been getting tagged in Twitter and Instagram threads, people saying they're reading along with HA and it makes me so happy.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I'm about 3/4 finished now, and this is a *blast*! Very curious to see who will be left standing 🙂

message 43: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments This was my first of many Cesare reads. I rarely if ever reread anything (if you saw my tbr you would understand), but couldn’t resist this group read. Catching some cool stuff I may have missed the first time around. The nostalgia everybody is talking about makes this such a great (re)read.

Adam - Can you give us HA’ers any inside scoop as to what you are currently working on? Cesareians want to know.

Bill wrote: "This was my first of many Cesare reads. I rarely if ever reread anything (if you saw my tbr you would understand), but couldn’t resist this group read. Catching some cool stuff I may have missed th..."

I second Bill's question!!! (While this was a re-read for me, too, I love discovering things I've "forgotten" or may have missed the first time around.) I believe Bill was the one who first introduced me to your work... ;)

message 45: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments ;)

message 46: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 8 comments Just finished it. This was a fun read, Adam. The violence was at the right level for me, and the characters were great.
Now, fess up - not-that-popular Billy gets super-hot Rachel - is that a bit of author-fantasy-time?
Joking aside - I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE renting horror videos back on VHS. I pretty much seen them all. This takes me back to that, though we never had any alien invasions (which is exactly what someone would say if they had been taken over by an alien).

message 47: by Elke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elke (misspider) | 612 comments 61% done now and can't wait to continue...the development of Billy's and Rachel' relationship is as fascinating as the main plot! (though I wished I hadn't read Paul's comment yet)

This is one of those books where I have the movie video playing right along in my head while reading. Now I'd really like to see it on the big screen, especially the scene (view spoiler)

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 8 comments Sorry, Elke. I didn't even think to do the spoiler removed. My bad.

message 49: by Ginger (last edited Apr 17, 2018 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ginger | 3247 comments This is a question for Adam but other's can comment if they want if they have finished or got to this part.
I just finished up Ch13. (view spoiler)
I might be making more out of this then need be. hahaha!
Just something that came to my mind while reading each (view spoiler)
Well done!! :D

message 50: by Adam (new)

Adam Cesare (adam_cesare) | 22 comments Hi Ginger, I think your comment is 100% on the money. (and apologies, I don't know how to flag spoilers, so anyone who reads any further: SPOILERS). I think it has less to do with a person's smarts than it does their mental fortitude/ability to handle stressors. By that point in the book it's been introduced that Darl is A) a cop who's been at the job for a while, projecting a certain image B) a closeted gay man living in suburban Long Island in 1988 and doing a job that is flagged as traditionally "masculine".

Good eye.

Also, for Paul: My fiance (who I'd just begun dating at the time I was writing VN, we've been together awhile) is very Rachel-like. So if I'm the Billy (I am and I'm not, there are a lot of qualities/voice things I share with Tom, too) proxy, I think it's less wish-fulfillment and more life imitating art. ;)

« previous 1