Into the Wild Into the Wild discussion

Into the Wild

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn I reread Into the Wild, a book that we read here in eighth grade. I decided to read this book again because it was a book I already had and I did not remember much about it besides that I was interested in the plot. Having read it again, I still was intrigued by the plot. A scholar, from a well-to-do family who graduated from a good school at the top of his class does the exact opposite of what his friends and family expect him to do after graduating from college. He embarks on a journey into the wild to discover himself; to go on an adventure and escape the realities of his old life. Reading it in eighth grade I was in awe of his decision but I also thought it was a dumb one. Reading it now, I have a different perspective on it. I wouldn’t say I would drop everything and walk into the woods to start my new life but I have a better understanding of why Chris did it. Reality can sometimes be overbearing, and although he did die, I think he appreciated a break. Especially in today’s society, there is just so much pressure, judgement, and criticism and sometimes it makes you just want to disappear.

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ari Schneider Nice response! It's always cool to reread books and see how our opinions have changed.

My problem with Into the Wild is the glorification of McCandless' adventure. I'm a professional climber, I've spent so much of my time in the wilderness, and the fact of the matter is that McCandless was not the least bit prepared to go out into the wild. I'm all for running into the backcountry to follow dreams. I do it all the time. But it's so important to be prepared, to get proper training, to learn survival skills. McCandless was reckless, and glorifying his decision-making process is harmful to the outdoor community.