The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Favorite Presses > Catapult

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments This is a publisher to watch in the U.S.

https://books.catapult.co/

They published Reservoir 13 and Montpelier Parade.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9689 comments That is an impressive couple of books to publish!

message 3: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments I agree, Paul, and I’ve heard good things about this novella, Cove. They also publish Michelle de Kretser

I can’t see that they offer subscriptions though.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9689 comments Yes not read Cove but have also heard positive things about it

message 5: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments I just discovered that this press is owned by Elizabeth Koch, daughter of Charles Koch, the billionaire pouring untold millions into destroying the lives of working people. That might be an overstatement, but most Progressives would say it is not. I read a brief article about Elizabeth, she sounds like a good person and clearly she using some of her wealth for good in funding this fine indie press.

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Wish I didn't know that, as now I'd be hard pressed to actually PURCHASE anything from them! I loved Montpelier Parade', was 'meh' on 'Cove' ... and my opinion on 'Reservoir 13' has been fairly well publicized by now! (but I got it from the UK publisher anyway!) :-)

message 7: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments Doug, I read an article about Elizabeth and it seems she does not share her family’s politics and is conflicted about her wealth. The proof is in the pudding and she chose to use her advantages to promote new writers. I applaud that.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9689 comments Reminds me a little of the Booker Prize. Founded by a company that made its money from the exploitative sugar industry.

But the prize was founded by Jock Campbell who made some major and very positive reforms to the Booker company.

Although that didn't stop John Berger denouncing the prize when he won and donating half (although he kept the other half) of his prize money to the Black Panthers.

message 9: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments In my mind Elizabeth Koch has redeemed herself, not that she owes anyone an apology for being born to robber barons, by choosing to do something so positive. It would be wonderful if more fabulously wealthy people donated large amounts too all the indie presses.

I promise to donate half of my money to a trust that supports independent presses and writers if I ever win a mega-lottery. I’m just putting that into the universe...

message 10: by David (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:00PM) (new)

David Kurt Vonnegut referred to the Nobel Prize money as "dynamite money" because Nobel made his fortune from explosives, among other things.

message 11: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments We can’t hold people accountable for the sins of their fathers, unless they go on to commit those same sins or make no effort to compensate in some way from the advantages gained from their parents’ ill gotten gains.