Werewolves discussion

The Wolf in the Attic
This topic is about The Wolf in the Attic
Past Group Reads > Spring 2018 Read: The Wolf in the Attic

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Dan | 203 comments Congratulations to our latest poll winner for possible 21st century classic werewolf novel: The Wolf in the Attic.

Amazon generously lets you read as far as into the third chapter so that you can decide if you want to buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBDMXCO/...

I didn't vote for it despite the fact I appreciate the C. S. Lewis and Tolkien name drops mainly because this novel is written in the present tense, something novice writers who think they have nothing to learn of craft tend to do. Still, the setting in Oxford is familiar to me and the first person narrator protagonist being a girl (Anna) while being written by a man seems like it might be difficult to pull off, thus of sufficient interest for me to want to gauge the author's success. I suppose I'll try to tolerate the use of present tense and give this novel a go in April.

Sorry. My role is to get everyone excited about reading this novel and I'm sort of mucking it up. Can anyone else try to gin up the enthusiasm? Who is this Kearny guy anyway? In all sincerity, it is nice to have a book to read that touches on the werewolf myth in a cerebral manner rather than just having some hairy dogman run around slashing victims. Variety is the spice!

message 2: by Scott (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott Kearney has been writing since the early nineties. I highly recommend A Different Kingdom.

Scott We never did get to this one. Do we put it on the back-burner?

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan | 203 comments Oops. I must have not got this properly positioned and then forgot about it. Do you want to do this simultaneously for the Fall, and lead the discussion on it Scott while I lead the discussion on Mammoth?

Scott I'll give it a shot. I'll start it as soon as I finish the doorstop I'm reading now.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan | 203 comments I have set it up as a one-month October read and will join you in reading it October 1.

Scott Well, I have finished it already! It is a short, quick read. Because of the age of the protagonist and the problems she faces, it would make a great young adult novel, but I felt it read just as well to an adult. It reminded me of the work of Charles de Lint, an author I used to enjoy.

I'll wait until October before I get into specifics; it's a simple enough story that I should be able to retain it pretty well...