THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Advice needed for romance 'warning' or sub title

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Hi,
I need a bit of input/advice. My novel has a strong romance element, but is not written in the style of a 'traditional' romance. I had to class it as a 'contemporary romance' on some websites as there wasn't another genre that was suitable. I then got some poor reviews from disgruntled readers who had been expecting a 'traditional romance'.

I then added a 'warning' in my blurb (not a traditional romance, with an unpredictable ending). But someone pointed out that I shouldn't be adding a 'negative'.

I've changed it to (A very different romance, with an unexpected ending). But now I'm wondering if readers will think 'different' means some sort of kinky aberration. As a reader, what would you assume that 'different' meant?

I'd like to add a sub-title to make it clear that it's not a traditional romance story, but not sure what to put.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Why not add a negative? The only problem with the example you gave is that the negative applies to both clauses, thus saying that it doesn't have an unpredictable ending.

message 3: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Romances, pretty much by definition have HEA's (happily ever after endings). Some, particularly in "darker" categories have HFN's (happily for now). You don't want to spoiler your ending, and I don't like the use of the negative personally, but if your book's ending isn't in either of those categories, it's not a romance and is likely to annoy romance readers. "A Different Kind of Romance" is fine, but will only work if it is a romance. If it has a sad ending, it may still be a love story, but it's not a romance. "A Different Kind of Love Story" might work in that instance, and you might be better off classifying it as general fiction. If it's a thriller, or speculative fiction, even if there is a strong romantic element, you're probably better off with those categories.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Thanks.
It definitely has a HEA (for all concerned). I wanted to put it in general fiction, but quite a number of websites don't give you that option, so romance is the only one that is suitable. I do feel that it is a romance, but not in the traditional sense in that the girl you think he is going to end up with in the beginning, is not the one he eventually marries, thus the unpredictable ending. But all end up happy :)

I'd like to use 'a different kind of romance' but just wanted to check that it doesn't sound as if 'different' might be a euphemism for kinky or similar.

message 5: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments It's usually a euphemism for "quirky", occasionally for "gay", but not generally for explicit content.

Some websites do have the option, but sort of bury it, or call it general literature, or something like that.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

How about 'An offbeat romance with an unexpected outcome'.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Avril wrote: "How about 'An offbeat romance with an unexpected outcome'."

Thanks. Not a bad idea.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

D.C. wrote: "Romances, pretty much by definition have HEA's (happily ever after endings). Some, particularly in "darker" categories have HFN's (happily for now). You don't want to spoiler your ending, and I don..."
Thanks for posting that insight. I have been struggling with the same question. I don't have an ending yet but at least I know if it's not HEA to put it in a different category. My mother bought a romance movie, watched it and was angry after the movie was done. She promptly put it in the trash. I didn't understand her comment of she hated the ending meaning the movie should be trashed. Now I know if the movie was classified correctly, she would have never bought it. That being said, I want to classify my book correctly so it's not trashed. I struggle with my book not exactly being erotica but the love scenes may offend strictly romance readers. Is there an in between category?

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments With Avril's permission I have added 'an offbeat romance with an unexpected outcome' to the blurb.
With the Headmaster's Approval
With the Headmaster's Approval by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Bohdan wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/ebook/dp/B008DF...
A Cold War Love Affair by Bohdan O. Szuprowicz
Here's a romance with an ending unexpected and acceptable..never mind the norms..who wants predictable stuff an..."

That's what I thought until I got some disgruntled reviewers complaining that it wasn't what they expected *sighs*

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 21 comments That's really a tough one. I like Avril's suggestion too, although people might assume 'unexpected' means not HEA. I was wondering about something along the lines of "A romance where love and happiness come from unexpected places."
Can you link to your book's Amazon page?

message 12: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Brigitta wrote: "D.C. wrote: "Romances, pretty much by definition have HEA's (happily ever after endings). Some, particularly in "darker" categories have HFN's (happily for now). You don't want to spoiler your endi..."

It sounds like it's probably "erotic romance", which is one of those "darker" categories where readers are more tolerant of HFN's (along with romantic suspense, parenormals, m/m's, and quite a few others that aren't leaping into my tired brain).

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments @Laura,
Here is the link to Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HB6329C

You might be correct about readers thinking 'unexpected' does not mean HEA. It's definitely HEA for everyone. Perhaps I need yet another re-think *sighs again*

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments @ DC

It's not 'erotic romance' at all. I'm having a problem reaching my readership. My beta readers (women 40 - 80 yrs) all loved the story and appreciated that it wasn't predictable.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments If anyone would like to skim through it and make a suggestion I can send them a PDF copy.
You can read the first couple of chapters on Amazon before deciding if you like to read more.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HB6329C

message 16: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Jan wrote: "@ DC

It's not 'erotic romance' at all. I'm having a problem reaching my readership. My beta readers (women 40 - 80 yrs) all loved the story and appreciated that it wasn't predictable."

Sorry, I figured yours wasn't! I was addressing Brigitta, who seemed to be having a similar issue, and she had specifically mentioned erotic content.

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments DC
Oh, that's a relief. I thought the cover or something had made you assume it was erotic romance.

(why can't I get the reply to work?)

message 18: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Jan wrote: "DC
Oh, that's a relief. I thought the cover or something had made you assume it was erotic romance.

(why can't I get the reply to work?)"

Goodreads has moods. No, it was pretty obvious that yours wasn't. I definitely don't think most people would mistake it for one. Brigitta seemed not to be sure how to classify hers either, and I was trying to be helpful.