Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > How to add a book that has no ISBN/ASIN

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to request the addition of the particular edition of a book I am reading but it is too old for an ISBN/ASIN. I am reading it on Archive.org and they give the WorldCat # but WorldCat doesn't have any other numbers for it, either. Is this an acceptable number or is there somewhere else for me to look? I haven't found this edition anywhere else.

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments So you're reading it online? Then it would be an ebook edition, actually. But it would help if you gave us more info. What book? Can you provide a link on archive.org?

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23199 comments Amanda, you don't need to have any numbers for it to be added to the database. All books that were published before isbns are in the database without numbers.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Z-squared: I am reading a scanned version online, it's not an ebook edition. Here's the link: https://archive.org/details/uselife02....

Sandra: I am not sure I understand you. Are you saying this edition is already in Goodreads or that it can be added without an ISBN/ASIN? The book is in Goodreads, but not this version. All the editions already in Goodreads have ISBNs because they are reprints from the 2000s. I know I could just say I'm reading one of those but I thought if it wasn't too difficult to enter this 1894 edition I would just ask for it to be done.

message 5: by Emy (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments The Archive.org scan is not the 1894 edition. It is a fascimile of it. The date of the Archive.org scan is 11 July 2009 (upload date) or 05 December 2007 (scanning date).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Emy: The Archive.org scan is just a way to read the 1894 edition. It's not in and of itself a new edition. It's not a reprint.

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth: That's the one! Archive.org had a link to that same WorldCat entry. Thank you so much for your help!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments Emy wrote: "The Archive.org scan is not the 1894 edition. It is a fascimile of it. The date of the Archive.org scan is 11 July 2009 (upload date) or 05 December 2007 (scanning date)."

And, yes, technically, she is reading this online edition rather than the 1894 edition, which we could add also. (But I thought she wanted to add the original physical edition, so now we have it.)