A Man Called Ove A Man Called Ove discussion

Who do you think would be the best actor to play Ove?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

ROBERT He is such a great challenging character for an actor to sink his teeth into. Hanks is going to do it. I thought Walter Mathou could have done Ove justice.

After some thought, I have settled on Dustin Hoffman. I think it is because of his Midnight Cowboy and Rain Man performances. He could be a great toothless curmudgeon.

Laurie Fred Gwynn would have been perfect, but I agree that Tom Hanks would be good. Although Bill Murray did a great grumpy old man in "St. Vincent." I wouldn't be disappointed if either of them were to play the part.

ROBERT Laurie wrote: "Fred Gwynn would have been perfect, but I agree that Tom Hanks would be good. Although Bill Murray did a great grumpy old man in "St. Vincent." I wouldn't be disappointed if either of them were to ..."

Gwynn would make me laugh because I would be thinking of the Munsters. Murray would be interesting.

This morning I though of Phillip Hoffman because I thought he could almost play anything after seeing Capote.

Becca There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well.

ROBERT Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

You are right but it is in Swedish with subtitles. I was thinking english because I follow it better. I have a hard time shifting my eyes from facial expressjons to subtitles at the bottom.

Becca Ah, yes.

Laurie ROBERT wrote: "Gwynn would make me laugh..."

Phillip Hoffman was great in Capote, who'd a ever thought? Or how about Tommy Lee Jones, did you see him in Cobb?

ROBERT Laurie wrote: "ROBERT wrote: "Gwynn would make me laugh..."

Phillip Hoffman was great in Capote, who'd a ever thought? Or how about Tommy Lee Jones, did you see him in Cobb?"

Yep, but was there a hint of a heart when Jones played Cobb. I can't recall. Cobb was all curmudgeon and no heart I thought.
But it has been awhile since I saw it.

Laurie Nope, no heart whatsoever. I think he could do it, but I still think Bill Murray or Tom Hanks are my choice.

message 10: by DB (new) - rated it 4 stars

DB What about Bryan Cranston? He seems to totally inhabit whatever character he is playing.

ROBERT DB wrote: "What about Bryan Cranston? He seems to totally inhabit whatever character he is playing."

My initial response was no but after seeing the character evolution of Walter White in Breaking Bad, yeah he could do it well.

I am warming to Bill Murray. I would like to see what he could do.

Carmel Hanes My vote would be Robert Duvall. :)

ROBERT Carmel wrote: "My vote would be Robert Duvall. :)"

I am not seeing him when I imagine it but there are few roles he can't do. I googled his movies and he seemed to play a similar role in 2014 about some curmedgeon going for a last fling in Mexico.

Sithy Hedges I can see Harrison Ford playing Ove, always gloomy with an occasional semblance of a smile!

Carmel Hanes ROBERT wrote: "Carmel wrote: "My vote would be Robert Duvall. :)"

I am not seeing him when I imagine it but there are few roles he can't do. I googled his movies and he seemed to play a similar role in 2014 abou..."

He brings such subtle depth to a character, which is why I can picture it, although I pictured Ove a bit younger. Stage makeup might make all the difference!

ROBERT Sithy wrote: "I can see Harrison Ford playing Ove, always gloomy with an occasional semblance of a smile!"

Hey, give us some English actors. How about Kenneth Branagh?

I think Harrison Ford is always Harrison Ford in my mind. Kind of like John Wayne was always John Wayne no matter the role.

Carmel Hanes ROBERT wrote: "Sithy wrote: "I can see Harrison Ford playing Ove, always gloomy with an occasional semblance of a smile!"

I think Harrison Ford is al..."

And Clint Eastwood was always Clint Eastwood! I agree!

Sithy Hedges ROBERT wrote: "Sithy wrote: "I can see Harrison Ford playing Ove, always gloomy with an occasional semblance of a smile!"

I think Harrison Ford is al..."

I do agree but could just see him in the part... It's like he is Ove :-)

Louise I would think Michael Gambon would be good to play him. Such a great book.

ROBERT Louise wrote: "I would think Michael Gambon would be good to play him. Such a great book."

He could do a good job. I looked him up and he has 4 BAFTAs and a curmudgeon's looks.

Louise yeah I'd think he would be a good choice :)

Louise DB wrote: "What about Bryan Cranston? He seems to totally inhabit whatever character he is playing."

Oooooh...YES!

message 23: by Ekta (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ekta Tom Hanks, in my view.

ROBERT Ekta wrote: "Tom Hanks, in my view."

My understanding is you will get to see him. http://deadline.com/2017/09/tom-hanks...

From Forrest Gump to Ove. Impressive breadth of playing a character.

message 25: by Ekta (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ekta Woaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This is great.

Sandy I think John Goodman or Robert DeNiro would be a good fit.

ROBERT Sandy wrote: "I think John Goodman or Robert DeNiro would be a good fit."

I think both could provide interesting interpretations of Ove.

Ramona ROBERT wrote: "Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

You are right but it is in Swedish with subtitles. I was thinking english because I follow..."

ROBERT wrote: "Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

You are right but it is in Swedish with subtitles. I was thinking english because I follow..."

The Swedish movie was very good, but I agree reading subtitles makes it difficult to watch their faces. I think having an unknown actor playing this part would be more realistic and believable. I enjoyed reading the book.

message 29: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Watkins If only Spencer Tracy were still alive. Tom Hanks would probably do an admirable job.

ROBERT Beth wrote: "If only Spencer Tracy were still alive. Tom Hanks would probably do an admirable job."

If we are going back that far I want to throw in Jimmy Stewart. There was a time when I thought he was the best actor out there.

ROBERT Ramona wrote: "ROBERT wrote: "Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

You are right but it is in Swedish with subtitles. I was thinking english b..."

I think facial expressions and body language are mandatory to portray Ove. They may be more important than dialogue.

Gillian Michael Caine is grumpy enough but too old, Ove is only 59

Mohammad Zaraki Sithy wrote: "I can see Harrison Ford playing Ove, always gloomy with an occasional semblance of a smile!"

oh no we are not going to save the world to use Harrison Ford as ove

Ramona ROBERT wrote: "Ramona wrote: "ROBERT wrote: "Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

You are right but it is in Swedish with subtitles. I was thi..."

I would prefer English, of course, but when I can watch a movie and read the subtitles, and still feel like it's flowing and enjoyable, then that is the sign of a very good movie, which is what I felt while watching this movie, plus I read the book. I agree with someone's suggestion about having the father from Breaking Bad play the part; he'd be great!!

Ramona ROBERT wrote: "Laurie wrote: "Fred Gwynn would have been perfect, but I agree that Tom Hanks would be good. Although Bill Murray did a great grumpy old man in "St. Vincent." I wouldn't be disappointed if either o..."

Sad that Phillip Hoffman is dead, but I think Dustin Hoffman could play a grouchy old man.

ROBERT Ramona wrote: "ROBERT wrote: "Laurie wrote: "Fred Gwynn would have been perfect, but I agree that Tom Hanks would be good. Although Bill Murray did a great grumpy old man in "St. Vincent." I wouldn't be disappoin..."

My brain keeps coming up with more actors I would like to see. Now I am wondering what Jack Nicholson could do with the role.

I used to think Nicholson was Nicholson was Nicholson. It didn't matter what the role was. Then I thought of the breadth of 5 Easy Pieces to the Joker to the Departed and thought he might do something with the role. He has curmudgeon down but it is tinged with psychopath.

message 37: by Ruby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby It is an old topic, and there is a movie already. But I would love to see Christoph Waltz to play Ove. He always plays someone bad with this romantic charisma, so it would be interesting to see how he would play in this role.

Ramona Ruby wrote: "It is an old topic, and there is a movie already. But I would love to see Christoph Waltz to play Ove. He always plays someone bad with this romantic charisma, so it would be interesting to see how..."
Such a good suggestion (Christoph Waltz) !! :)

ROBERT Ruby wrote: "It is an old topic, and there is a movie already. But I would love to see Christoph Waltz to play Ove. He always plays someone bad with this romantic charisma, so it would be interesting to see how..."

I know this is an old thread but Waltz would be very good. He was oh so good in Inglorious Basterds. Any time an actor can make me dislike a character as intensely as I disliked his is doing a good job.

Now I am throwing in Daniel Day Lewis. He is so good I don't even know who is playing his character until I look it up.

Deanna Tom Hanks is too cheerful. I'd have to go with Clint Eastwood.

Paula Guaraldi Definitely Larry David!

Colleen Chi-Girl Becca wrote: "There is a movie out already on amazon prime and the actor who played him did really well."

I agree!!

Colleen Chi-Girl How about someone Swedish? Or someone who doesn't have the star power that screams their name so you can't get past the reality of who the star is?

message 44: by Ekta (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ekta Robert De Niro looks just like Ove.

message 45: by lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

lisa Brain Cranston yes! It's a fantastic role and I bet so many great actors could make it their own. Robert Downey Jr for example.

Deborah Haley Daniel Day-Lewis. He would study it to death and succeed (as always).

ROBERT Deborah wrote: "Daniel Day-Lewis. He would study it to death and succeed (as always)."

Best living actor I think. He can play anything and I never know it is him until the credits. He is allegedly retired. His prep for a role is so intense that I am not surprised.

Deborah Haley I am trying to ignore the fact that Day-Lewis claimed retirement. It just about killed me!

message 49: by Rari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rari definitely Walter Matthau will fit as Ove.

message 50: by Ramona (last edited Jul 12, 2018 03:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ramona Walter Matthau died in 2000.

« previous 1 3