Christian Readers discussion

Discipleship > Is it possible to be Over-righteous or too-wise?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 62 comments Ecclesiastes 7:16 says, “Do not be overrighteous, / neither be overwise— / why destroy yourself?” Given the Bible’s standard of righteousness and the premium it sets on wisdom, it seems strange that Solomon would say not to be overly righteous or too wise.

What does it mean to be overrighteous? What does it mean to be overwise?

Thoughts?

message 2: by Robert (last edited Mar 20, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1764 comments Mod
Ecclesiastes is a book written by the aged Solomon reflecting back on his life. Most likely this is a reflection on his pursuit of worldly righteousness and wisdom, and the dangers associated with it.

This seems to be evident in Solomon's final assessment of the important things in life...

Ecclesiastes 12:13 - "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments : for this is the whole duty of man."

message 3: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Fun question Chad. Let's explore. Maybe I can learn something.

ECC. 7
15 In my vain life I have seen everything. There is a righteous man who perishes in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man who prolongs his life in his evildoing.
16 Be not overly righteous, and do not make yourself too wise. Why should you destroy yourself?

Here's a weird clue:
17 Be not overly wicked, neither be a fool. Why should you die before your time?

Overly wicked??? Is it then okay to be slightly wicked? Or medium wicked? Most likely we have to now look deeper into his use of righteousness and wise.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1764 comments Mod
Ecclesiastes 1:2 - " Vanity of vanities , saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity ."

Lets not forget the opening premise of this book... as Solomon ponders his life.