What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The World of Null-A
This topic is about The World of Null-A
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-fi, protagonist has an extra brain, he uses this to take 'pictures' of places that he can then transport to. He can awake in a new body of the same type. The antagonist is a person who is 'out of phase'. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul Charnock | 12 comments This story is possibly part of a series
The brain and body type have a name. I think it is something like 'Gaussian' brain/body. He can also move people of objects from one of his saved locations to another. The antagonist might be called the Shadow or something similar

SPOILER
I remember a part where the protagonist gets captured by the shadow. He is placed in a cell with high walls and cannot transport himself outside or to any of his previously saved locations. There are two people/creatures in with him, a strong person who wants to kill him and possibly a girl. He manages to get a picture outside the cell (can't remember how) and transports himself and the girl outside. The shadow I think is watching with amusement to see how he escapes.

I remember the ending, the shadow person has a religion or belief system based around a body in stasis in his home base.
The protagonist realises this body is of the type he can awake in and therefore he dies to reawaken in this body where he tells the shadow his beliefs are wrong. The shadow then can't handle his 'god' telling him he is wrong which destroys his mind

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments This is making me think of The World of Null-A by A. E. Van Vogt - the hero "Gilbert Gosseyn" has multiple bodies and an extra brain as well.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda_redpeach) | 253 comments The World of Null-A for Andy's suggestion

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 801 comments My first thought as well.

Paul Charnock | 12 comments Yes!! That's it, Gilbert Gosseyn. Not far off with my guess of the name :).
So I had a look into this and I think the book I had was the second one called The Pawns of Null A. The World of Null A appears to be the first in the series which I don't think I have read but will do now.

Thanks

message 6: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Pawns of Null-A for the click

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Paul wrote: "Yes!! That's it, Gilbert Gosseyn. Not far off with my guess of the name :).
So I had a look into this and I think the book I had was the second one called The Pawns of Null A. The World of Null A ..."

Excellent. Glad you found your book.