Asti's AP Lit & Comp 2017-2018 discussion

Jane Eyre > Lessons Learned - Volume 1

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs. Asti (last edited Mar 19, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Mrs. Asti | 9 comments Mod
In chapters 6-8, Jane is taught a number of lessons by the faculty at her new school, Lowood Institution. How are the teachings at Lowood interpreted by Jane and her peers? Choose one specific example to discuss. Be sure to include your first and last name in the subject line.

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Fernandez-Lopez | 10 comments Alicia Fernandez-Lopez
Period 2

Within this small section, the readers are able to see the distinct opinions of Jane and her peers. The contrast of the opinion of Jane and Helen Burns reflects the whole spectrum of the situation. An example of this occurred when Jane went to go talk to Burns about the aftermath of Miss Scatcherd's punishment. Jane questions Burns because she does not understand why Burns lets Miss Scatcherd publicly humiliate her constantly. Burns believes that the punishment is part of her journey and is necessary. The conversation between Jane and Burns reveals that "...'But I feel this, Helen: I must dislike those who, whatever I do to please them, persist in disliking me; I must resist those who punish me unjustly. It is a natural as that I should love those who show me affection, or submit to punishment when I feel it is deserved.' 'Heathens and savage tribes hold that doctrine; but Christians and civilized nations disown it.' 'How? I don't understand.' 'It is not violence that best overcomes hate-- nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury.' ..."(Bronte, 67). Burns believes that the punishment is another factor that was included when she decided to go down the Christian path of life. Also, Burns believes that disliking her would not change anything and taking the path of least resistance would be the easiest form of compliance. On the other hand, Jane believes that Burns should dislike her because of the unjust way of the constant punishment. Jane sees Burns as a very good girl that does not deserve the harsh ridicule of Miss Scatcherd. In terms of behavioral teachings, Jane sees it as strict whereas Helen sees these lessons as a necessary part of this Institution.

message 3: by Leonel (last edited Mar 19, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Leonel Martinez | 9 comments Leonel Martinez Period 2 AP Lit and Comp
In the chapters proceeding Jane's enrollment to Lowood, the readers can see the contrasting viewpoints of the girls. While Jane sees the teachings and the teachers as cruel and heartless, mostly due to their punishing ways, Helen Burns views the teachers responses as a reaction to her own unwomanly actions. This is seen when Helen and Jane are talking about the cruel punishment that ensued Helen's unjust behaviors in class. The conversation reveals the thoughts of both girls, as Helen blames the actions of Miss Scatcherd on herself, which is revealed through "I am, as Miss Scatcherd said, slatternly; I seldom put, and never keep, things, in order; I am careless; I forget rules; I read when I should learn my lessons; I have no method;
and sometimes I say, like you, I cannot BEAR to be subjected to systematic arrangements. " (Page 66 Bronte). This shows that while Helen may be one of the best students at Lowood, the teachers see past that and punish all that disobey, yet Helen blames herself for the unjust ways of the teachers and only tarnishes the way she sees herself. While Jane on the other hand, sees the teachers punishing Helen and wonders why Helen does not react to the teacher's cruel hand. This is touched when Helen and Jane speak for the second time "But then it seems disgraceful to be flogged, and to be sent to stand in the middle of a room full of people; and you are such a great girl: I am far younger than you, and I could not bear it." (Page 65 Bronte). Jane shows that she is one to take action into her own hands, as seen in Gateshead, and would show the teachers that she is not at fault and should not be disrespected. These differing views on how teachings at Lowood are carried out show that the students: Jane and Helen, see the teachings to be either disrespectful or a punishment for unwomanly behavior.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Mar 19, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Ashley Lavina | 10 comments Ashley Lavina
As one of her only friends at Lowood, Helen Burns' beliefs are the exact opposite to that of Jane Eyre’s. Jane and Helen discuss their contrasting viewpoints and attitudes about being unfairly punished by teachers along by other faculty figures at Lowood. Jane believes that she must strike back, while Helen rather take the punishment than do something causing a negative effect for others as well as herself. Jane converses with Helen in Chapter 6 after she had been punished by Miss Scatcherd due to her “slatternly habits”, and she can’t understand as to how Helen has self-control and why she isn’t more upset about how she had been treated. If the positions were reversed between both girls, Jane would view the teacher as cruel and unkind, while Helen takes fault towards her actions. “And If I were in your place I should dislike her: I should resist her; if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break in under her nose.” (Bronte, Page 65). Helen blames herself for her punishment due to her actions meanwhile Jane dislikes the teachers, thinking they are all cruel and it is not her fault in any way. It is difficult for Jane to understand and cope with punishment, she rages against injustice, as she did against her aunt. Helen explains to Jane her viewpoint about how life is short and to turn the other cheek, which is how she has hope and patience to tolerate suffering in the world.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 9 comments Sophia Robison
Jane Eyre's time at Lowood Institution can be described as very strict but one upside is that she gained a companion named Helen Burns. Helen and jane both endure the harsh tutelage of the teachers at the institution. The difference between them is that the two girls have different views on the various lessons they learn. Burns turns the other cheek and endures harsh punishments while jane strongly disagrees with meekly accepting lessons and punishments that are unjust. One example of a lesson these two girls had different interpretations of was one delivered by Mr. Brocklehurst. When he makes his appearance at Lowood institution, he says that his goal is to teach the young girls to be "...hardy, patient, self-denying."(Bronte, 84) After stating this, jane drops a slate in front of everyone resulting in her getting a punishment. She was then forced to sit on a stool while Mr. Brocklehurst informed everyone that she was a liar and that they should be wary around her. After being verbally abused, jane is disheartened and believes that her reputation at Lowood is ruined. Burns then comforts her and informs her that if Mr. Brocklehurst had treated her “…as an especial favorite, you would have found enemies…” and that people pity jane and do not in fact hate her. So, the reality of the situation was that jane believed the lesson/punishment she received by Mr. Brocklehurst would isolate her from her classmates which was not the case. Jane “cannot bear to be solitary and hated…” (Bronte, 94) which makes her very different from Burns who puts her faith in a higher power.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Gonzalez | 11 comments In the chapters 6-8, Jane’s time in Lowood she learns all the hardships the girls go through on the daily, being underfed and overworked. Her only friend so far is Helen Burns, a quiet and patient girl. Helen and Jane have contrasting views on how they perceive the conditions at Lowood. Jane believes that one should fight against their enemies and not let people treat them bad, while Helen believes in the "doctrine of endurance”. Helen accepts the punishments the teachers give her because she doesn’t want to burden her family with her misbehaving and she also feels people are required to bear what fate has ordained for them. Miss Scatcherd punishes Helen for absurd reasons for example poking her chin or not holding her head up. If Jane was in her place she would “ resist her, if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose”(Bronte 65). She wants retaliation and vengeance while Helen has sympathy for her torturer. Jane simply can not understand Helen’s doctrine of endurance, Helen believes the reason Miss Scatcherd is harsh on her is because “I am, as Miss Scatcherd said, slatternly; I seldom put, and never keep, things, in order; I am careless; I forget rules; I read when I should learn my lessons; I have no method and sometimes I say, like you, I cannot BEAR to be subjected to systematic arrangements. " (Bronte 66). She praises Miss Scatcherd and says she is “naturally neat, punctual and particular ."(bronte 66) Jane feels Miss Scatcherd is “cruel”. Jane and Helen see the teachings at Lowood very differently.

message 7: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth Aparicio | 9 comments Lizbeth Aparicio
The teachings at Lowood are interpreted in various manners by Jane Eyre and her peers, particularly by her fast friend, Helen Burns (commonly referred to as Burns). The stark contrast between the way that they each choose to go about and to interpret life is evidently presented beginning in Chapter 6, when Jane confronts Burns about being too passive in the face of tribulation. Jane argues that she believes it is her duty to offer the same energy that others offer her, in return. In doing this, she states that " [She] must dislike those who, whatever [she] does to please them, persist in disliking [her]" and that " [she] must resist those who punish [her] unjustly" (Bronte, 67), but also believes that affection is due where affection has been given. In response, Helen explains her viewpoint, describing her relationship with God and her reasons for remaining so patient and loving, even when others are not. She alludes to Christ's teachings in the New Testament and states, "Love your enemies; bless them that curse you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you" (Bronte, 68). In this, it becomes evident to readers that while both young girls have their own views, they are still both firmly grounded in what they believe to be the way. They are able to push past this and, instead of arguing, are able to teach each other, as well as spark up what seems to be a beautiful friendship.

message 8: by Yareliz (new)

Yareliz | 9 comments Yareliz Ferreira
When Jane arrived at the Lowood Institution it took her some time to understand and accustom to her new lifestyle. The classes and teachings were not something she seemed to admire very much. One day during one of the teachings, a girl named Helen Burns was humiliated in front of the entire school. Jane saw the girl as pure and innocent, she did not deserve to be "inflicted on her neck." After this incident Jane began to voice her opinion of the teachings more. We hear this when she converses with Helen Burns to question her to ask if she would ever leave Lowood. When Burns responds with no, Jane is shocked and taken a back. Jane believes that if she were in her position she would hate anyone who treated her unjustly. "If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way.." After explaining this to Helen, Helen told her view of this situation, Helen believed that it is always best to be kind to everyone, even the ones who treat you terribly because vengeance nor violence fixes nor heals any problem. "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you.." Helen told Jane this to hopefully help Jane change her viewpoint because the path Jane is following will not get her anywhere or any justice which she seems to desire. Helen and Jane both find a friend in each other even though they don't seem to agree on their perspectives.

message 9: by Larry (new)

Larry Haya-Cuan | 9 comments In chapter 6-8, Jane realizes how harsh it is going to Lowood Institution because there are strict teachings and rules that the girls are forced to abide by. Jane finds companionship with a friend she meets called Helen Burns. Helen took a different perspective of the teachings than Jane did. When Helen was punished in front of the whole school, Jane felt anger and remorse for Helen. When Jane brought up her feelings to Helen, Helen tried to explain to Jane that she was in the wrong. “I seldom put, and never keep, things in order..” this was one of the few examples Helen used to express to Jane that she is not good and that Miss Scatcherd is not cruel to her. This bewilders Jane for she believes that you should treat people who are cruel to you the same and defend yourself. After hearing this Helen explains that she needs to see things differently, take what Christ says and “Love your enemies;bless them that cure you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you.” Helen believes that no good will come from mistreating those who mistreat you. Within this situation we get a feel of how the girls in the school think and how strong their faith is. Although Jane still seems to disagree with Helen, she continues to be her friend and do what she believes.

message 10: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Nambo | 3 comments Within these chapters, the teachings in Lowood can be described as strict, with all the discipline that the girls are given. Jane and her new friend, Helen, have different interpretations when it comes to how Lowood teaches the girls. When Jane is entered into sewing classes, she observers the other group of girls, where Helen was in a different class with Miss Scatcherd. In this part of chapter 6, Jane sees how "cruel" Miss Scatcherd is to Helen, as she hates anything that Helen does. While Jane believes that Miss Scatcherd is being unreasonable and harsh to Helen, Helen believes that shes being reasonable as to how shes being treated. For example, Jane stated that "I should resist her; if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose"(Bronte 55). While on the other hand, Helen does not "dislike her" as she states that "I seldom put, and never keep, things in order; I am careless; I forget rules; I read when I should learn my lessons; I have no method... This is all very provoking to Miss Scatcherd, who is naturally neat, punctual, and particular"(Bronte 55). It is evident that both Jane and Helen have different views when it comes to teaching in Lowood, as Jane does not understand why Helen does not dislike her teacher, Helen seems to understand as to why she is being treated poorly by Miss Scatcherd.

message 11: by JoMari (new)

JoMari | 9 comments The teaching conducted throughout the chapters six threw seven at Lowood in the novel Jane Eyre are interpreted vaguely distinctive for that of Jane's interpretation to that of her peers. Being that Jane is new to this environment and the means of how they conduct things, her lack of accustom - as well has her character- lead her to have a more abrasive out look when leading with the teaching strategies at Lowood. For instance the main form of teaching/punishment is dealt with through embarrassment. For being placed in the middle of the room for all to see you have wronged. To place the child's faults on full blast for all to recognize and aspire to be the contrast of said child. This exact situation happened two Jane and, the only other girl we have come to know at Lowood thus far, Helen Burns. Jane takes this form of teaching, which is meant to improve and not repeat previous mistakes, as a means of punishment and cruelty that should be lashed out and fought back in retaliation. Helen regards this more as what it is meant as a learning experience as well as being, “neat [&] punctual,” (page 66) characteristics which whom she perceives she lacks. Although Helen also states it (being the teaching strategy) doesn't aid in preventing her from performing the same careless mistakes countless of times, she still regards it as something that has to be done for yet she has faults that must be attended to. Thus through the teaching of the Lowood methods Helen interprets this as a long run beneficial good, for Jane is currently against the establishment as her usual mode of operation.

JoMari Chao

message 12: by Mariaura (new)

Mariaura Morocho | 9 comments Throughout, chapters 6-8 in Jane Eyre it is safe to say Janes perspective on Lowood is not one that’s very positive. As she believes that the teachers and their punishments are nothing but cruel and unfair. As for her peer/ new friends’ view on Lowood is the complete opposite. Helen Burns is quite obedient and quiet. Helen Burns finds such ways of teaching as necessary in order for students to learn and not make the same mistakes. For example, in chapter 6, we see how Miss Scatcherd is screaming at Burns, “You dirty disagreeable girl! you have never cleaned your nails this morning,”(56) but Burns made no answer and stayed quiet even though the water was frozen and it was not her fault she couldn’t clean her nails. In contrast Jane sees this way of teaching as punishment. The main way in which these children get punished or taught, is by making them be in the middle of the room and embarrass them by demonstrating to their other peers of all their wrongs. Like i said jane sees this way of teaching as punishment, but Helen Burns views this more as a necessary way of learning. Also, when Miss Scatcherd exclaimed, “nothing can correct you of your slater not habits; carry the rod away,” (57) Helen Burns, without hesitation obeyed. Helen does not believe Miss Scatcherd is cruel but instead she just, “dislikes her faults,” (pg.59).

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Azoy | 9 comments Throughout chapters 6-8 of "Jane Eyre", it is made quite evident that Jane's perspective on Lowood and it's methods is that of negativity and resentment. Jane observes specifically how Helen Burns is treated by the cruel Miss Scatcherd. Jane views her methods concerning discipline as cruel and unnecessary while Burns accepts them without resistance. Burns truly views herself as deserving as such punishments, listing aspects of herself which she considers flaws worthy of being punished for. Through the interactions of these two the reader is able to note just how greatly Jane differs from her peers regarding Lowood's teachings. A more specific instance occurs when Jane states " If she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose" this response is vastly different than Burns' who states it is well deserved and to punish her for her own faults. Overall, the central difference in how Jane and her peers react to these "teachings" is more embedded in their mindset; From Jane's own perspective she sees these punishments and forms of degradation as vile and cruel, while to others it is a just form of punishment, one that is necessary and well deserved in order to fix their own faults.

message 14: by Fernando (new)

Fernando | 9 comments Fernando Murillo P.2

In chapters 6-8, Jane's learned plenty of lessons from her teachers at her new school, Lowood Institution. She interprets the teachers as unjust and cruel as well as their teachings. She soon finds an individual called Helen Burns. She is described as someone obedient, and shy like. They afterwards become companions. However, their views on the teachers and their teachings are completely different. Burns views them as deserving and uncruel. In one of the scenes burns is being punished by one of her teachers. Jane notices it and feels as so the teacher was being very cruel and rude to her but in burns point of view she says that she is deserving of it. The difference of views is obvious while Jane feels that the teachings and teachers are cruel and unjust and shouldn't be received by others, burns sees it as necessary for committing something that they were not suppose to do. Just by the way burns responds to her punishments comes to show that its something usual and deserved.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Smoorenburg | 9 comments Ryan Smoorenburg P.2

In chapters 6-8, we see Jane's experiences at Lowood, the teachers she experiences and learns from, as well as her peers and friends such as Helen Burns, who are with her during this time of her life. The lessons taught at Lowood are to be well mannered, self-managed, and to be tolerant and obedient with adequate posture. However, Jane and her peers as well experience physical deprivation and abuse with these lessons. As an example, when Jane is sewing, she notices Helen being treated unfairly by Ms. Scatcherd and commanding her to use better posture by keeping her head up. We see this in the lines: "Hardened girl!...nothing can correct you of your slatternly habits; carry the rod away." Chapter 6 Pg. 53 These experiences, however, do not prevent Jane from feeling alone or singled out like her family did at the house, as in Lowood, she made friends with Helen. What is interesting about this school in particular is that Jane learns a lesson not taught by the teachers, and that is to learn to be mentally strong and to be able to live in a frugal lifestyle. I presume that later on in the novel, we will see this lesson being put to practice and will prove to be vital in Jane's life. In the novel, we also see Jane's elegant and very detailed description of the outside garden of the school. What is significant about this is that the reader realizes that she uses all these descriptions and imagery to make a contradiction between the beautiful setting of the outside garden to the prison/cold and dark setting of the inside school surrounded by the garden itself. This contradiction clearly comes from and is inspired by the teachings and manners to which the lessons are brought to her and her peers in Lowood.

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy | 8 comments Christine Diaz

In chapters 6-8, Jane attended her first few classes at the Lowood Institution and is quite shocked on how the teachers/faculty educate the girls. She is also confused as to why Helen Burns does not stand up for herself. Jane believes that the teachers are cruel and severe but other students such as Helen understand why they're so harsh. Miss Scatcherd punished Helen for not cleaning her nails in the morning and later on yelled at Helen again because of her posture. Jane starts thinking about why Helen allows for herself to be treated so cruelly and Helen's reply is "Cruel? Not at all! She is severe; she dislikes my faults." Helen understands that the teachers want to educate her and help her fix her "flaws" while Jane doesn't believe that such treatment is necessary. Jane even said to Helen, "And if I were in your place I should dislike her; I should resist her. If she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose." Eventually, Jane starts to understand why the faculty is so "cruel" and even experiences the embarrassment that she pointed out to Helen that she never wanted to experience when Mr. Brocklehurst came to the school and called her a liar in front of all her peers. Jane starts to conform to all the other girls and have the same mentality that gets her through the next six years as a pupil in the institution.

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Gil | 9 comments Adriana Gil
As Jane Eyre enters her new life at Lowood Institution, she begins to see various forms of what she believes is unfair treatment meant for pupils to learn their lessons. This however is not thought of by all, Helen Burns is one to counter her belief. Jane is a witness to one of the lesson strategies used when one of the teachers, Miss Scatcherd, identifies Helen's dirty fingernails. (Bronte, 65). Scatcherd harms Helen with twigs because she was claimed to be a "dirty, disagreeable girl" due to the fact that the water was frozen and was not able to clean the nails. Jane later confronts Helen and questions why she did not resist her. Helen responds by saying that Scatcherd had all the reason to do what she did because of her many flaws, "I am, as Miss Scatcherd said, slatternly; I seldom put and never keep, things in order; I am careless; I forget rules; I read when I should learn my lessons; I have my methods..." (Bronte, 68). Helen states that it was fully her own fault for being the way she is, therefore her fault for receiving the punishment. According to her, the act is not cruel (as Jane believes) in anyway, but instead a well-taught lesson for the future.

message 18: by Jade (new)

Jade Berisso | 7 comments Jade Berisso

In chapters 6-8 of the novel “Jane Eyre”, by Charlotte Bronte the protagonist is beginning at her new school, Lowood Institution. Jane had left her aunts house in which she endured much abuse and despise from to then come to this new school in hopes of a change. While reading I had noticed how Miss Temple is sort of like Bessie. They both present this sweet and caring person. But then their are also the ones who are strict and more demanding such as Miss Scatcherd, a teacher at Lowood, who treats Jane’s new friend Helen Burns horribly. In the novel when Jane was just starting to talk with Helen she tells her, ”But that teacher, Miss Scatcherd, is so cruel to you?”(pg 34).
Only for Helen to reply saying, “Cruel? Not at all! She is severe: she dislikes my faults”(pg 34). Jane can’t wrap her head around the fact that Helen still endures the harshness from Miss Scatcherd, for Jane says “I could not bear it”. Jane’s perspective is “I must dislike those who, whatever I do to please them, persist in disliking me; I must resist those who punish me unjustly”(pg 35). For Helen it is different, she believes that Miss Scatcherd is right since she is “naturally neat, punctual, and particular”, while Helen isn’t exactly so. And the time when Helen and Jane had gotten to their rooms from speaking with Miss Temple, Miss Scatcherd reprimanded Helen for her drawer being “untidily”. Helen agreed that her drawer was “indeed in shameful disorder”,and the next day when Miss Scatcherd put the word “Slattern” on Helen’s forehead instead of getting angry Helen simply “wore it till evening, patient, unresentful, regarding it as a deserved punishment”(pg 46).The way Jane and Helen are towards how people treat them in the school is noticeably contrasting, but they do become good close friends. Helen was more obedient towards the teachers at Lowood, she rather endure the harsh reactions in which Miss Scatcherd has towards her then to have resentment and react with vengeance towards Miss Scatcherd. While Jane is a little stubborn and bold she is more of a person to react in impulse and doesn’t feel as if she should respect the ones who continually disrespect her. And in this school obedience is expected upon the students.

message 19: by Daniel (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:03PM) (new)

Daniel A. | 9 comments Daniel Alvarez

The school of Lowood is characterized as a school containing very strict and cruel disciplinary actions against its students and also a very strict and cruel disciplinary set of rules the students absolutely must abide by. Teachers would follow what they must do whenever a student breaks a rule or misbehaves, and that is to literally hit them physically and shame them on a stool. Jane Eyre attends the school and meets Helen Burns, who she would make very close friends with. Jane quickly finds out that her views on cruel and unusual punishment and the actions of the teachers are of complete contrast to Helen's views, in which she sees them as perfectly fine and necessary for correct discipline. Helen even states that she deserves the punishment because of her flaws. An insightful example of Jane's polarized opinion on the regulations of the school is after Helen was punished and verbally abused for slouching and not appearing delicate and "professional" by Miss Scatcherd, a teacher of the school known for carrying out the cruel punishments, and then Jane telling Helen, "...if I were in your place I should dislike her: I should resist her; if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break in under her nose.” (Bronte, 65). The stark contrast between the two girls personalities and beliefs are quite evident here; Helen stated before that she doesn't resist and will never resist the punishment, while Jane, even if she were to, say, appear to be slouching, and receive punishment, would find it as extremely trivial and therefore resist and voice her opinion on the matter, because she's Jane Eyre, and that's who Jane Eyre is. However, at the end of the day, Jane and Helen, with their polarized views, still manage to become extremely close to each other.

message 20: by Angelyn (new)

Angelyn Perez | 9 comments Angelyn Perez

The Lowood Institution was home to experiences that were foreign to Jane. Although Jane has already had her fair share of encounters with difficult situations, Lowood was beyond compare. In chapters 6-8, Jane Eyre’s feisty personality collides with the rigorous atmosphere of the religious institution. Helen Burns is Jane’s first and perhaps, only friend (besides Miss Temple). Burns is the exact opposite of our main character. Helen, on the other hand, prefers to lay low and accept the reprimands she receives. Jane and Helen are opposites. Helen’s philosophy is revealed when she states, “It is far better to endure patiently a smart which nobody feels but yourself, than to commit a hasty action whose evil consequences will extend to all connected with you- and, besides, the bible bids us return good for evil.” (Bronte, 67) This is Helen’s response to Jane’s confusion as to how she could let Miss Scatcherd treat her so cruelly. Helen interprets the strict enforcement of the teachers as something she deserves. Unlike most people who are oblivious to or discard their flaws, she willingly welcomes her the punishments for them. Jane’s character is on the other side of the spectrum compared to Helen’s. Jane witnesses Helen’s behavior towards the teachers and is appalled. We, the readers, know that Jane is not afraid to stand up for herself. Her argument with Miss Reed before she leaves to Lowood is one of the many instances. “And if I were in your place I should dislike her; I should resist her. If she struck me with that rod. I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose.” (Bronte, 67) Miss Jane Eyre is obviously against the teachings at Lowood. But in the following chapters, there is a shift in Jane’s personality. She soon begins to understand the way Helen acts towards the teachers. Her hard personality subdues with Miss Temple and Helen influencing her. Miss Temple continues to impact and suppress her natural character until she is eighteen.

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Natalie Aziza

At Lowood institution, Jane's perspective on their method of instruction is considerably distinct to that of her peers. She deems their approach to education malicious and unjust, whereas her peers and her newfound companion, Helen Burns, are more nonchalant about their questionable means of administering punishment and rigid tutelage. To put it into perspective, in chapter 6, Helen characterizes herself as an awfully flawed individual deserving of any punishment/mistreatment aimed her way as she claims "it is far better to endure patiently a smart which nobody feels but yourself, than to commit a hasty action whose evil consequences will extend to all connected with you" (Bronte, 65). Helen said this in the hopes of imparting her wisdom on Jane when the latter expressed her rash judgment concerning the acts of injustice that were in question. This particular conversation reveals what the audience is to anticipate from Jane in the event that such instances were to occur. Of course, Helen is very aware of her naivety and attempts to minimize the intensity of her headstrong personality and expose her to a more reasonable way of confronting certain situations. She does this by encouraging her to read the New Testament and making Christ's words her own rule. (Bronte, 67). However, whether she is to assimilate his principles is another question altogether. She is tenacious and will refuse to humble herself before anyone that wishes her harm of any sort. This is most notable in the following line: "When we are struck at without reason, we should strike back again very hard; I am sure we should so hard as to teach the person who struck us never to do it again" (Bronte, 67). Such a response would be considered unwise by her fellow peers, as this institution seems to run on injustice and cruelty, and the students are well-accustomed to the circumstances. This might prove difficult for her to process, and cause her serious integration issues.

message 22: by Valeria (new)

Valeria Batlle | 9 comments Valeria Batlle

During her time at Lowood Institution, Jane Eyre had a really hard time adapting to her new lifestyle. As opposed to her peers, she was the new girl who did not yet know how to behave and react accordingly to the teachings at Lowood. Jane was rebellious and defiant towards anything that she thought was wrong, while her friend Helen Burns accepted any punishment given to her, even if she did not deserve it. Since Helen Burns, as well as the other pupils, had been long indoctrinated with religious teachings at Lowood, she was used to keeping quiet and not resenting past punishments like that of Miss Scatcherd's. These girls always tried to follow the actions of Christ and any other way of doing things was wrong. When Jane asks Helen how she can bear the punishments given to her unjustly, she responds with teachings of the Bible, "Love your enemies; bless them that curse you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you." (Bronte, 58) Jane, on the other hand, had not been brought up in such a religious environment. She always thought that when she died she would go to hell as Mr. Brocklehurst said. This background helps the reader understand why Jane is so rebellious as opposed to her friend. She was not scared of any consequences. To Helen's response mentioned earlier, Jane says, "Then I should love Mrs. Reed, which I cannot do: I should bless her son John, which is impossible." (Bronte, 58). Jane hardly disagrees with Helen about enduring such 'cruelties' because they had been brought up in very different environments. Helen knew that there was a possibility of her going to heaven, while Jane thought she would go straight to hell, thus being indifferent to consequences.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Polonio | 9 comments Elizabeth Polobio
In chapters 6-8 Jane begins to further develop her life in the Lowood Institution. While there she meets a peer named Helen Burn, unlike Jane, Helen is short tempered, shy, and obedient. Even through harsh punishment and treatment towards the girls Helen still believes that it is deserving and that finds reason with them. Jane on the other hand refuses to understand why Helen is so accepting to the cruel actions taking place, after Helen going through a punishment Jane states, "I should resist her; if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose"(Bronte 55). By Helen having completely different interpretations along with more patience and understanding, she helps Jane grow in the areas she lacks; allowing their friendship to grow and leave a mark in each other.

message 24: by Malbis (new)

Malbis | 10 comments In chapters 6-8, Jane Eyre is introduced to Lowood Institution and quickly learns that the girls are treated harshly due to the fact that they are malnourished and overworked. However, Jane makes an unlikely friendship with Helen Burns, who impresses Jane with her patience in taking punishment from Miss Scatcherd. When Jane meets Helen, she asks Helen if she wishes to leave Lowood because of Miss Scatcherd cruelties towards her. Helen replies “Cruel? Not at all! She is severed; she dislikes my faults.”(Bronte 67) Helen expresses that Miss Scatcherd is not cruel but in fact detached and is only helping her by punishing her because she is correcting her flaws. Jane then argues with Helen by saying that if she were in her shoes she would “resist her. If she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose. “(Bronte 67) Jane emphasizes with great detail that if she were to be treated with injustice just like Helen, that she would fight back harder because she will not let herself be degraded by anyone. Helen, though, disagrees with Jane’s view and says that embracing the Christian philosophy of enduring pain is much better for a person “than to commit a hasty action,” (Bronte 67) which could to lead abysmal consequences to those closest to the individual. Even though, Helen and Jane have different perspectives on life their bond has grown since they first met because they have taught one another new values instead of arguing.

message 25: by Nataly (last edited Mar 20, 2018 07:43PM) (new)

Nataly Ruiz (nruiz27264) | 9 comments Jane's first couple of days at Lowood Institution prove to be an an eye-awakening experience for her. Before transferring to her new home, Lowood represented a new beginning for Jane, a chance to make a new name for herself and restore her reputation, which Mrs. Reed had so callously bashed. Once at Lowood however, it was a whole different story. The teachings at said institution and the treatment shown to the students were similar to those of Jane's despised aunt, and thus they clashed with Jane's beliefs and feisty nature. The treatment of one particular student, Helen Burns, strikes a chord within feisty little Jane. Helen is harshly treated and constantly reprimanded by Miss Scatcherd for what Jane considers to be insignificant things. The contrast between Jane and Helen are shown when Jane questions Helen on why she does not retaliate or at least show resentment towards Miss Scatcherd, "And if I were in your place I should dislike her; I should resist her. If she struck me with that rod, i should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose." (Brontë 67). Helen's response further proves how differently they both perceive the situation, "...Yet it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not avoid it. It is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear" (Brontë, 68). Helen considers it her fault to be constantly scolded and abused for what she considers to be her many defects and considers these punishments to be her duty to bear. Jane is puzzled and cannot see things in Helen's point of view, " I heard her with wonder. I could not comprehend this doctrine of endurance; and still less could i understand or sympathize with the forbearance she expressed for her chastiser. Still I felt that Helen Burns considered things by a light invisible to my eyes.." (Brontë 68). Although they have different points of view, Helen and Jane share their thoughts, and respectfully disagree with each other while at the same time maintaining their own individual beliefs and attitudes.

Nataly Ruiz

message 26: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Navarro | 9 comments With Jane beginning to go to Lowood alongside the many other children there, she witnesses the harsh environment that involves punishment meeting the "ill behaviors" done by said pupils that attend such an institution. From the start, Jane's personality is much of that as spitfire and full of bite, especially when it comes to views that contrast her own and seem unjust. To such things, she meets them with a defiant resolve, one that allows her to blatantly state her opinion and cast out her views and deliver her temper full force where her stance is concerned on a given subject. For instance, when Jane and Helen Burns (one of her peers) become a little closer, we see that Helen is much more of a person to place herself at fault, or rather, a person whom of which will take the backlash of certain things even if they are not her fault. Jane finds this extremely unfair, such as the scene where Helen Burns does not wash herself because the water has frozen over, and when she is scolded over it, Jane wonders why Helen does not stand up for herself, but upon Helen revealing her nature in which she actually agrees with the disciplinary actions, Jane understands that there is such a sharp divide between how she and how Helen view the the school as a whole, thus Jane's difference in what/how she feels about Lowood compared to some of her peers.

message 27: by Valeria (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

Valeria Londono | 9 comments Valeria Londono
In chapters 6 - 8, while Jane Eyre spends her time at the Lowood Institution she meets Helen Burns which becomes her new friend and also while in there, Jane learns how unfair the treatment is towards to girls in there. Yet her friend, Helen, does not share the same opinion. Jane claims that the behavior, specially the one of Ms. Scatcherd in particular, is very unfair and cruel and she also establishes that "...if I were in your place I should dislike her: I should resist her; if she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break in under...." (Bronte 55) saying this to HElen Burns in a conversation. Helen in the other hand claimed that it was okay since she was simply correcting her and this can be better understood by the reader when she says "....She is severed; she dislikes my faults." (Bronte 67).
Both girls have very distinct views but at least have been able to learn another point of view different from their own and their bond got stronger and better since the moment they met even though they really are opposites.

message 28: by Alexandra (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:52PM) (new)

Alexandra Younger | 9 comments Alexandra Younger
In chapters 6-8 we encounter the cruel and unusual punishment implemented by some of the faculty at Lowood Institution. Helen Burns and Jane have different views on whether or not the flogging inflicted on Helen by Miss Scatcherd is justifiable and ethical, “But that teacher, Miss Scatcherd, is so cruel to you?”
“Cruel? Not at all! she is severe; she dislike my faults.”
“And if I were your place I should dislike her; I should resist her. If she struck me with that rod, I should get it from her hand; I should break it under her nose.”
“... it is far better to injure patiently a smart which nobody feels but yourself, then to commit a hasty action who’s evil consequences will extend to all connected with you-and, besides, The Bible business return good for evil.”
“But then it seems disgraceful to be flogged, and to be sent to stand in the middle of a room full of people; and you are such a great girl...” (Bronte 67-68) In this exchange between Helen and Jane we see how different the girls view punishment as well as in relation to themselves. Jane seems to know her worth more than Helen and does not let people step all over her, she is willing to stand up to authority figures such as Miss Scatcherd, or Miss Reed. Helen however, believes it is the Godly and Christian thing to do to be benevolent and benign. Jane's fiery temperament is completely different from Helen's passive disposition, it is because of this that they disagree on certain consequences and lessons at Lowood Institution.