The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GETTING TO KNOW YOU > Where to find books about _____?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 70 comments Hello SRC-ers!

I was curious if anyone knows of a goodreads community (or any community on the Internet) where one can request books about ____. For example, I'd like to find historical fiction set in pre-Revoluationary War North Carolina, but beyond a few books about the Lost Colony, I haven't found much on my own. Where is the best place on goodreads, or the Internet in general, to ask a community for help with this when Googling fails?

Thanks!

message 2: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments I don't know about communities but I have found the Lists function on Goodreads to be very helpful. You can find a list on just about anything from small genres to "Books with hats on the cover". Other than my own TBR, Lists is my first stop when trying to find books to fill something specific.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments there is the "what is the name of this book? group - you can post a broader recommendation for what you are looking at

you can also do a targeted recommendation request:
https://www.goodreads.com/recommendat...

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17482 comments Mod
Check if your library subscribes to NoveList a book recommendation database.

Historical Novels also has lots of books listed by era and place
The Constable's Tale: A Novel of Colonial America

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1642 comments For historical fiction settings, the Goodreads group Historical Fictionistas has a recommendations folder. (The most recent posts include threads for "Colonial America Fiction", "Books set in Spain between 1492 and late 18th century", "Early American Republic", and "Novels about downed WWII pilots in enemy territory trying to escape".)
I didn't see anything specific to North Carolina, but someone in that group may know of some.

I don't know what other groups have recommendations (if you're not looking for historical settings).

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 70 comments Thank you, everyone!