Clean Romances discussion

Recommendations > Read rut

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments What the heck happened to books having a begging middle and end? I just want to read a book not 510 to get the story. Paranormal seems to be all series. Mystery, historical whatever. Any suggestions? I just got 3 books off amazon and was skipping pages, the premise of the books were good but I spent the first 100 pages waiting for the story to start. Then I read a few more books and realized there are 6 more to go on one of them. I liked it but not that much.
I hate reading ruts

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Ashby | 21 comments I love the idea of characters you've read about popping up in a different book but I agree, some series are badly structured. They are written with the express purpose of forcing readers to follow them, I believe. Not to enjoy the story for its own sake. Like a soap opera on TV. I'm very wary of a series which appears to have a heap of individual books. I definitely want the beginning, middle and ENDING, not some cliff hanger to take me to the next book.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 147 comments Why don’t you try The Wrong Envelope by Liz Treacher? Not too long, set in 1920 and a romance that focuses on character rather than sex. It’s a standalone.

Among mysteries, I love those by Louise Penny; the first one is Still Life. They’re a series but she is careful to orient readers in each one so you don’t necessarily have to read in order.

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 289 comments Anne wrote: "I love the idea of characters you've read about popping up in a different book but I agree, some series are badly structured. They are written with the express purpose of forcing readers to follow ..."

I totally agree, Anne! I also prefer each book in a series to be a stand-alone, with recurring characters :D

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Ashby | 21 comments I've been avoiding reading series, although I do have one set of books I'm yet to get into, for fear they will not be stand alone. Its like starting watching a TV series half way through first season, you're so busy trying to piece together the characters attitudes you lose the storyline lol

message 6: by Delacey (new)

Delacey | 7 comments My problem with these serial romances which are written more like a soap opera then a novel, is that they are often long winded, repetitive and full of way too much drama to be believed. Some of these novels are short - 100 words or less, and should just be one novel. Others are really long and should be hacked and slashed editted to a reasonable page count and make them one book. I will also note that many of these books also have quite a bit of sexual content so may not be the ideal read for those looking for a clean story.

Reviews aee good for calling out if its a cliff hanger book. Hopefully spoiler free if you do end up reading.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Exactly - I like books like a good movie. Heck I prefer movies to tv series any day. If it’s a series with an overall same theme or a group of people and each book is about a different group or set, great. Each person has his own story to tell. These books that drone on and on about the same two people are just painful. Even the ya ones are nothing but drama. I like the soap opera analogy. Ain’t nobody have time for that. One book advertised was only 140 pages I was like nope wasting my time on a chapter book that’s the same length as the ones written for a 2nd grader.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. | 289 comments Agree with all the great posts here! I also seldom waste my time with anything less than at least 224 pages, I do not consider those to even be "BOOKS"!

message 9: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) Lisa, if you like fantasy and mystery you might enjoy Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It's a standalone book and definitely has a romantic element.

message 10: by Delacey (new)

Delacey | 7 comments I like my books to be at least as long as a Harlequin novel (so 160+). Novellas are alright once in a while, but I find few authors who write them well (even traditionally published and well known authors often struggle). Either way, the story should have a beginning, middle and an end.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne Ashby | 21 comments I was given a couple of novellas recently and I just can't get into them. I was put off when the relationship between the two just kinda jumped from strangers to kissing without any interim interaction. It just didn't work for me. I'm sure they're well written but no, I like something I can get my teeth into without being a massive tome

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Humphrey (phumphrey) | 14 comments I write a romantic suspense series, BUT each book has a beginning, middle, and end.
Finding Claire

It's free until the end of the month. It's clean.

I hope you find something that pulls you out of that reading rut!

message 13: by D.R. (new)

D.R. Grady (goodreadscomdrgradybooks) | 4 comments I've also been in a reading rut. What helped was finding clean reads! Betty Neels and Heather Horrocks are two favorites right now. I'm ever on the search for new clean authors who I can get into and recommend. (:

message 14: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 19, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) Blacksmith's Christmas Bride

Julia and the Duke
Otters brought together the H +h.

message 15: by HR-ML (last edited Dec 07, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) Clarissa and the Poor Relations
IIRC, this was kisses only.

Crumpets and Cowpies
Took place mostly in Oregon. Don't let the title turn you off.
The couple agreed to a MOC w/o sexual congress. But the H
genuinely was attracted to the h and used innuendos to keep
her 'on her toes.'

message 16: by HR-ML (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) The Social Tutor
The Gentleman Physician
Enjoyed both of these. Kisses only.

message 17: by HR-ML (last edited Dec 12, 2018 01:17PM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) A Dangerous Madness
Historical fiction, mystery w/ romance. Kisses only.