Green Group discussion

News and Current Events > Yellow Fever in Brazil Not Following Normal Patterns

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 1977 comments The mosquito that usually carries Yellow Fever, normally stays in the upper canopies of the forest, but has now been found in unusual areas, such as coastal areas and highly populated areas around big cities, bringing the virus with it. It is not known why the mosquito is changing its habitat.

The 2017 winter seasonal weather did not kill off the virus carrying mosquitoes, so there is concern it may survive the currently approaching winter season. Normally the winter season ends the transmission of Yellow Fever.

Scientists are now concerned that the Aedes aegypti mosquito that stays low to the ground, bites in daylight and already carries Zika, dengue and chikungunya, will pick up the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/12/tr...

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Kroes (ken_kroes) | 69 comments Thanks Robert for the info. Kind of scarey.

This is the thing that many people miss about out impact on planet. The "known" impacts are scarey enough and are huge problems but what really worries me is the unanticpated impacts and what we do not know, which I am guessing is a long list.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 1977 comments So much of our planning is based on the idea that if it's not happening now it can't be happening later. I would say that list is much longer than what we think we know.

In reverse we have the idea that if there is no sign of something happening, even under limited observations, than it could never have happened. This leads to the assumptions that older civilizations had to have less capabilities than they actually did.