Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Reid Jenkins, Taylor- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo; Relaxed Buddy Read starts March 26, 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

description

Synopsis
Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband, David, has left her, and her career has stagnated. Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn’s life unfolds through the decades—revealing a ruthless ambition, an unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love—Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn’s story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 243 comments Oh, you guys are lucky to be reading this! I read it last year and couldn't put it down! Enjoy!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Jennifer wrote: "Oh, you guys are lucky to be reading this! I read it last year and couldn't put it down! Enjoy!"

I like that endorsement! Thanks Jennifer, I 'm looking forward to reading this!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm reading the hardcopy version and less than 50 pages in ( page 47) and this book is interesting already. I wasn't sure what I thought when I read the synopsis; it isn't a book I would typically read.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments End of page 74
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments End of Sub Rosa( Dec 30, 1959)

p140
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments page 141- end of book
(view spoiler)
sorry Brooke I didn't wait for you, I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down!!

message 9: by Brooke (last edited Apr 02, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I've made it through the end of Don Adler (roughly to pg. 150)

(view spoiler)

I'm also having a hard time putting it down. It feels like I am reading about real people. The only thing that will stop me from finishing tonight is if I can't keep my eyes open. :)

message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I couldn't keep my eyes open. I made it through the Mick Riva and Rex North sections (roughly p. 150-225).

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Laura (last edited Apr 03, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments (view spoiler)

End of book question
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Brooke (last edited Apr 04, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I've read through the Harry Cameron section and should be able to finish this evening.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Max Girard section
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments regarding Harry & Celia(view spoiler)
You may not like Evelyn so much after the reveal to Monique!

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished. I really enjoyed it, although some of the dialogue between Evelyn and Celia was a little tiresome.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I think you are absolutely right. I also didn't see that it was her (view spoiler)

Brooke I am so glad that this book was on your reading list. I really enjoyed this one and wouldn't have picked it up myself! Thanks.

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Brooke I am so glad that this book was on your reading list. I really enjoyed this one and wouldn't have pick..."

Absolutely! And I have you to thank for Sally Hepworth. I haven't read it yet (still waiting for my copy to come in), but I'm sure I will like it. :-)

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Brooke I am so glad that this book was on your reading list. I really enjoyed this one and wouldn't have pick..."

Absolutely! And I have you to thank for Sally Hepworth. I haven't re..."

She is a definite must read!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Taylor Jenkins Reid (other topics)