Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Book Promotions > Introduction of New Author

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Walter (new)

Walter F. | 14 comments Hello all, I’m Walter Cantrell. I published my first book in November 2015. There’s a rather unique story behind how I began writing. I’ve never been a fiction reader and particularly not a reader of Christian Fiction. I read the first book of C.S. Lewis’s “Space Trilogy” when I was in High School and couldn’t really get into the second book. As I grew older, I was only interested in reading serious books that I thought would enhance my Christian life. My impression of Christian Fiction was that for the most part, it was at best “fluff” and at worst “harmful.”

Sometime around October 2014, I saw a reference to some quotes from “Pilgrims Progress.” I was aware of the book and knew it to be a classic, but I had never read it. One night I went on Amazon and bought a copy. As I read through the book, I was impressed by how Bunyan was able to weave Biblical truths into a fictional story. I found myself thinking about how I would have done certain parts and how a more updated version would look today. I wasn’t doing this with any thoughts of actually writing a book, but it’s just how my mind works.

If you would say that my interest in reading Christian Fiction was somewhere around .005, then you’d say that my interest in writing Christian Fiction was into the high negative numbers. But a few days after I finished Pilgrim’s Progress, I was sitting at my computer, and the idea of writing a book about a fictional character going on a journey just leaped into the forefront of my mind. I instantly had a title for the book, and I just started typing. In no time, I had four chapters written, and I would have written much more, but it was getting late. I went to bed that night with more chapters running through my head and barely able to get to sleep. Within a few days, I was half-way through the first draft, and I began to see more books that would be part of an overall series. Not long after finishing a draft of the first book, I started to work on the second, and I ended up alternating between both books as I did revisions.

The first book in the series is titled “Disciples Quest,” and this became the name of the series as well. I just recently released “Disciples Quest IV: Warriors of God.”

Here is a link to the series on Good reads: https://www.goodreads.com/series/229214

In addition to continuing to work on this series, I also have a Christian Romantic Comedy in the works and some ideas about a Christian Western.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Younghusband (peteryounghusband) | 67 comments Hope you get those two series completed. They both interest me but more the Christian Western!

message 3: by Walter (last edited Mar 16, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Walter F. | 14 comments Both are very early in the process, and the Western is just a concept at this point. The Romantic Comedy will mainly focus on the central character who cons his way into a Pastor's position, but along the way he does develop a romantic interest. It's probably more comedy than romance.

The Western is a concept that I'm developing, but it will need a lot of research to make sure its accurate when it comes to that time-period.

I do appreciate the encouragement. I think the Western genre is wide open, and I'd love to do something with it at some point.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Younghusband (peteryounghusband) | 67 comments Good. Keep plugging away at it! God will travel with you all the way!

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Walter wrote: "The Romantic Comedy will mainly focus on the central character who cons his way into a Pastor's position..."

Are you sure you're writing fiction?

Just kidding!

Thanks for introducing yourself and your work. The Western is also appealing to me. I look forward to hearing how it develops!

Blessings!

message 6: by Walter (new)

Walter F. | 14 comments Thanks Stan.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Gerard (ryandavidgerard) | 18 comments Hello everyone!

New to Goodreads. Not only am I eager to connect with readers of every variety, I am seeking to grow my audience and expand my book's span of influence.

I am especially excited to connect with other CHRISTIAN readers and authors. I'm curious to know what other Christian authors have come up against, if you've published with a solely Christian publisher or with mainstream ones. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of that, how do we feel about limiting our writing and our art to meet "Christian standards" of acceptability.
For example, I am Christian but have written a slightly more gritty and dark series of books that I'm afraid other Christians would sneer at because of a bit of language or violence...

Anyways, I'm eager to start chatting! Someone chime in. let's get started!

Thanks for welcoming a new author into the group!

I have also placed specific info on my books into the Promotion discussion feed if anyone is interested.

Thanks a lot.

message 8: by Stan (last edited Jun 01, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Welcome Ryan!

We had a really active thread a few months ago about "no-no's" in Christian fiction. Depending on how gritty you are in "slightly more gritty", you may find favorable comments in this thread. We'd love to have you join that discussion, renewing it if you have new ideas or different ways to restate the ideas already presented.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Younghusband (peteryounghusband) | 67 comments Hi Ryan,

Welcome!

Your books look interesting and I am intrigued. Can I ask why both novels are not published in the Kindle format?

I would buy them but cannot afford the printed copy and the postage.

You will open yourself up to more exposure and sales by adding the Kindle version to your publishing expertise.

Regards

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Gerard (ryandavidgerard) | 18 comments Stan,
Thank you for sharing! I will definitely check out that discussion. Awesome news!

Peter,

The books are available on Kindle & Kobo. I just checked my link and you're right, it only takes you to the paper back version. I'll have to rectify this.

Here is the link to the Kindle version for both parts one and two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...

Thanks so much for your interest Peter!! I hope you enjoy the books!

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Younghusband (peteryounghusband) | 67 comments I have bought Book 1 after reading the sample from Amazon! You set the stage well.

message 12: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Gerard (ryandavidgerard) | 18 comments Thank you Peter! I appreciate that support!

message 13: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Gerard (ryandavidgerard) | 18 comments Stan wrote: "Welcome Ryan!

We had a really active thread a few months ago about "no-no's" in Christian fiction. Depending on how gritty you are in "slightly more gritty", you may find favorable comments in thi..."

Thanks for sharing the "no-no" thread with me. I am enjoying the conversation!

Is there a way we can invite other members of this forum to join in, or bring back the old conversation to forefront so it's not forgotten?

thanks

RDG

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
Ryan wrote: "Stan wrote: "Welcome Ryan!

We had a really active thread a few months ago about "no-no's" in Christian fiction. Depending on how gritty you are in "slightly more gritty", you may find favorable co..."

This is an open group, so feel free to invite whoever you like! Bringing back an old conversation is just as easy as searching for it and commenting on it. The discussion threads with the most recent commits move to the top of the list. I'm so glad you are enjoying the conversation!

message 15: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
Welcome, Ella! It is hard to find books in this genre, but we have many authors as part of the group. We also do have a book list that is open for people to contribute to. Glad to have you with us!

message 16: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments Hi Ella! Christian speculative fiction is a niche market but I'm happy to say it is a growing niche market. Welcome to our group!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Salisbury | 224 comments Mod
Hi Ella, and Ryan. Good to meet you, and I look forward to getting to know you both through the group.

message 18: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Welcome Ella! I hope you find this group an inspiration, as well as a place to inspire others! Blessings!