THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Linking a Goodreads Book To External Sales Page

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave (davecenker) | 19 comments I've just finished self-publishing my first novel and have added it to Goodreads. My question pertains to the links used to "purchase" the book through external sites (Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, etc).

Is there a way to control what search criteria is used on each of these sites to locate the title being searched for? In some cases, it uses the title, in others the ISBN. Bottom line is that if someone is interested in reading my novel, these links don't always make their way to the proper page on that external site.

Has anyone else seen this and/or found a way to fine tune the keywords used by these external sites? Thanks!

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Those links are set by each user not by book or author.

If the edition of a book is not for available on the book sellers website then it will attempt a title match or not find the edition

you appear to have only an ebook edition (ISBN 9781540150059) which is only for sale at Kobo/Itunes. Therefore using a link to BN will not find it on BN.

You need to add a new edition with the BNID which starts with 294.
If you sell on Amazon, then you will need to add another new edition with the ASIN

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave (davecenker) | 19 comments Thank you, Paula. I appreciate your comment. The book is actually available at several other online retailers in eBook format (including B&N), but you have provided just the answer I think I needed to hear.

I need to create new editions with information that is relevant to those online distributors. I will give that a try and hope that this thread will help others if they run across a similar issue in the future.

Thanks again for your reply and help. Best wishes!

message 4: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Dave, please feel welcome to reach out to one of our volunteer librarians if you need help adding those editions!

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave (davecenker) | 19 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Dave, please feel welcome to reach out to one of our volunteer librarians if you need help adding those editions!"

Thank you, Jaclyn! I most certainly will and sincerely appreciate the offer :-)