75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Book Buddies > Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 16, 2018 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7809 comments Mod
Joanne, Dawn Michelle, and I will be reading Ready Player One starting on 3/25! This will be my third time enjoying the book but my first time reading it! I've listened to the audiobook twice! :)

Joanne | 545 comments Elyse wrote: "Joanne, Dawn Michelle, and I will be reading Ready Player One starting on 3/25! This will be my third time enjoying the book but my first time reading it! I've listened to the audiob..."

I have a copy and I’m set to go, so excited for the 25th. I will be on holidays and not sure about wifi but don’t worry I will be reading it.

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Mar 20, 2018 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joanne | 545 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

Wonderful can’t wait . Just so you know I am overseas from the 22nd until the 29th but rest assured I will be reading!

message 5: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Dawn Michelle!!! Wil Wheaton! *heart eyes* I've listened to the audiobook twice and picked up the paperback at a library book sale last summer.

message 6: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Dawn Michelle!!! Wil Wheaton! *heart ey..."

HE is the reason I knew I had to listen to this book regardless. I totally and completely ♥ him too.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Dawn Michelle!!! Wil Whea..."

I just finished listening to Redshirts and it was hilarious. Could only be narrated by Wil Wheaton!

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Daw..."

What was that about? Was it worth it [minus the Wil ♥ Wheaton angle?]. I saw that he was narrating it and actually snorted out loud at the title, but I didn't look at what its about. :-)

message 9: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

Wonderful can’t wait . Just so you know I am overseas from the 22..."

Overseas. I am so very envious. I hope you are going someplace awesome.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook i..."

Definitely worth reading, because you already "get" the title! ;) I loved it! But the audiobook is a must. The first like 25% is a little weird but then you understand why later on and then it gets amazing.

message 11: by Stacie (last edited Mar 23, 2018 04:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Dawn Michelle!!! Wil Wheaton! *heart ey..."

Ok, y'all convinced me. Used one of the credits I've been sitting on and got it from Audible. I love Wil, but wasn't sold on the sample included (though, honestly, they picked a rather 'meh' info-dump as their sample). We'll see how it goes- if I don't like the audio I'll switch to the print, which I already have :)

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

The audiobook is AMAZING, Dawn Michelle!!! Wil Whea..."

You won't regret it!! :D

message 13: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this ..."

Doggone it Elyse!! LOL
Okay, its being added. smh. Only for Will Wheaton. ;-)

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking fo..."

You'll breeze through it! :)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1530 comments I wanted to join in but I can't get the audio in time (you'd think everyone wants to read the book before the movie comes out or something...) so I decided to make Armada my audio for the readathon. Not nearly as good as RPO, but... Wil Wheaton.

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 23, 2018 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charleen wrote: "I wanted to join in but I can't get the audio in time (you'd think everyone wants to read the book before the movie comes out or something...) so I decided to make Armada my audio for the readathon..."

Yes, still Wil Wheaton! ;)

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Time to read, time to read!

message 18: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4115 comments Mod
Yay!!!

message 19: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 29, 2018 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Going to see it tonight!!! <3 <3 One showing at the local theater tonight then many more tomorrow and on. SO EXCITED/NERVOUS! In the book, Parzival just got to the Tomb of Horrors.

EDIT: Did not see it last night. Hubs wants to see it in IMAX so tomorrow night!

Joanne | 545 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am ready to go as well; I own the book PLUS I have an audiobook set up! I am looking forward to this one!"

Wonderful can’t wait . Just so you know I am overs..."

Yes I did just got back from Samoa 🇼🇸 wonderful place and got ready player one finished 👍👍👍 interesting read kinda avatar meets tron. I’ll say no more for the time being.

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

EDIT: Did not see it last night. Hubs wants to see it in IMAX so tomorrow night!

Joanne | 545 comments Elyse wrote: "EDIT: Did not see it last night. Hubs wants to see it in IMAX so tomorrow night!"

I don’t think I will see the movie. I am giving the book only 2 ⭐️⭐️. I enjoyed the book but it didn’t blow my mind.

message 23: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Sigh.
I am afraid I am a DNF.
I really tried girls - sigh.

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesiness.

Joanne | 545 comments Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesiness."

I did like the nostalgia as well. 😁.

message 26: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesiness."

I really liked the nostalgia as well and the 80's references. But I am not a video game person at all [never was] and once Wade goes into the OASIS it just became meh for me. :-( I am so sorry.
I am loving My Lady Jane though, so its not all a loss.
And I LOVED Wil Wheaton as a narrator. He was magnificent.

message 27: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesiness."

I really liked th..."

Star Trek fan? Redshirts was hilarious and narrated by Wil. :) I can't believe his OWN BOOK doesn't have an audio version! :(

Joanne | 545 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesines..."

I haven’t read redshirts but will keep an eye for it now that you have mention several times. I have read some of the Star Trek books long time ago they weren’t too bad.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments I've fallen behind on this one- I just wasn't able to handle anything that required any emotional investment- but I'm hoping to be able to get into it now that things are calming down somewhat.

message 30: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia and cheesines..."

I have added Redshirts and will try and read it this year. It sounds awesome. I am an oddball Trek fan. I was not into the original and only watched TNG AFTER I was married. I totally loved Voyager but nothing after [I just watched DS9 last year and am ambivalent]. I was NOT a fan of the early movies except for Voyage Home, which is so freaking hilarious you'd have to be dead to not like that one. I was so not into the idea of the reboot and so the ex saw it alone. And grumbled CONTINUALLY about it. Enough that I had to go see it to calm him the F down. And totally and completely fell in love with the Star Trek universe. He was not the fan of the reboot like I became so when we split, that was not a movie set that would bug me as I watched the new ones [unlike Star Wars that I cannot even watch a trailer for - men are stupid].

RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE. Sorry about that. This is what happens when you spend an extraordinary amount of time alone. LOL

Joanne | 545 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia..."

All good dawn all good. Ramble away. I like the reboot too. Anytime you want to talk to someone I’m all ears. 😘😘😘

Joanne | 545 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it for all its nostalgia..."

Redshirts. Is this what I am looking for ??

message 34: by Stacie (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "https://smile.amazon.com/Just-Geek-Li...

GREAT. GOOGLY. MOOGLY."

Or, alternatively, you can go to his site on bandcamp where the download is $12 :) https://wilwheaton.bandcamp.com/album...

And it looks like you can just listen to it from the site itself (I just played through the first chapter)

message 35: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it..."

Yes!

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 31, 2018 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "https://smile.amazon.com/Just-Geek-Li...

GREAT. GOOGLY. MOOGLY."

Or, alternatively, you can go to his site o..."

Oh Dawn Michelle, you're awesome! I was looking for an Audible version! Thanks lady!!

message 37: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "https://smile.amazon.com/Just-Geek-Li...

GREAT. GOOGLY. MOOGLY."

Or, alternatively, you can g..."

You are most welcome! :-)

message 38: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substance but I love it..."

Too bad you are so far away - I think we'd like seeing movies together!! :-)

message 39: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Hey Elyse, here is the audible one - and this one isn't $99!!! ;-)

https://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_...

Joanne | 545 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Aww both of you?? Waaaaa!! Well, you tried. I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( It doesn't have a lot of substanc..."

Yeah I know ❤️❤️

message 41: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished yesterday. Love it still. But man I had a problem with the small font! I couldn't read it before bed, it's too dark in my bedroom! lol. I much prefer the audiobook in this case!

Joanne | 545 comments Elyse wrote: "I finished yesterday. Love it still. But man I had a problem with the small font! I couldn't read it before bed, it's too dark in my bedroom! lol. I much prefer the audiobook in this case!"

Excellent I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with small font these days. Gosh I am now borrowing large print from the library as well. I am liking ebooks cause it’s bright and also you can change the font size 😂 thankfully there are still books that have a reasonable size font. I really don’t know what they are thinking which such small font.

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1530 comments I'll occasionally get a LP book out of the library if the regular is unavailable. I went through a run of them a while back and the larger size started to feel "right," and then it was a struggle to go back.

Joanne | 545 comments Charleen wrote: "I'll occasionally get a LP book out of the library if the regular is unavailable. I went through a run of them a while back and the larger size started to feel "right," and then it was a struggle t..."

Yeah that is a consideration but I generally have a mixture so hopefully it will keep me in touch.

message 45: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I finished yesterday. Love it still. But man I had a problem with the small font! I couldn't read it before bed, it's too dark in my bedroom! lol. I much prefer the audiobook in this ..."

Yes, I love being able to change the font size in e-books!

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments I finished this last night :) I still love the 80's cheesiness, and the way he got the feel of those 80's sci-fi/adventure flicks right. It was a little hard for me to click with Wil's narration in the beginning, because it just wasn't the way I'd heard it in my head the first time I read it (his Anorak voice was just... not.), but I still thoroughly enjoyed this. Then I passed the audio over to Mom and she's enjoying it so far, too (I'm hearing a lot of giggles and "Oh God, that show...")

message 47: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "I finished this last night :) I still love the 80's cheesiness, and the way he got the feel of those 80's sci-fi/adventure flicks right. It was a little hard for me to click with Wil's narration in..."

haha fun for your mom too!

message 48: by Joanne (last edited Apr 05, 2018 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joanne | 545 comments Stacie wrote: "I finished this last night :) I still love the 80's cheesiness, and the way he got the feel of those 80's sci-fi/adventure flicks right. It was a little hard for me to click with Wil's narration in..."

Rolf 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Awesome 😎 that’s way cool, oh forgot to mention I have redshirts requested so hopefully will get it read in next coming weeks.