Play Book Tag discussion

Digging In
This topic is about Digging In
Archive: Other Books > Digging In by Loretta Nyhan -3.5 stars rounded up

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6208 comments Digging In by Loretta Nyhan is the type of book I rarely read. There were two factors which influenced my choice, one it was a free Kindle First book and secondly it was about a woman, Paige Moresco who decides to dig up her back yard and put in a garden, this is something I have actually done so I wanted to read about an experience with it.

Paige's reason for digging up her yard is quite different than mine. Her life is falling apart, her husband died unexpectedly in a car accident, her boss passed away as well and his idiot son took over the business and her adolescent son is acting out. She started digging out of shear frustration and it made her feel better.

It is a cute story despite the sound of it and I generally don't do cute. The characters, though not multidimensional grew on me and by the end of the book, I quite liked them.

Here is a quote that I found quite meaningful:
“I want to know what the other kind of change is. The kind that isn’t slow.” Tears burned at my eyes, hot and quick. “It’s the kind that pulls you by the hair. The unexpected jolt. It’s merciless, and it doesn’t allow you to change cell by cell, cushioning the blow with time. It smacks you into a new reality. It forces you to examine things you’d rather leave under a rock.”

I think that this book if you get it at the right price and need a bread from heavy reading is good light entertainment.

One other thing which brought it up a few notches for me is that the author's husband passed away from a heart attack in his mid-forties and I expect that it was quite cathartic for her to write this book.

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1408 comments I almost picked this one, but I went with a different one instead. This review makes me regret that decision a little.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2946 comments I know you don't usually do cute. I expect you get enough of that at work. :)

Booknblues | 6208 comments Jgrace wrote: "I know you don't usually do cute. I expect you get enough of that at work. :)"

Plenty of that. That kind of cute can be so much fun.

Booknblues | 6208 comments Cora wrote: "I almost picked this one, but I went with a different one instead. This review makes me regret that decision a little."

I had a hard time choosing this month because nothing seemed all that interesting.

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1408 comments Booknblues wrote: "Cora wrote: "I almost picked this one, but I went with a different one instead. This review makes me regret that decision a little."

I had a hard time choosing this month because nothing seemed al..."

That was my problem too. I almost went with Digging In because it seemed like it could be light reading, but I was worried about the husband's death making it a downer instead. I think I went with the suspense/thriller because I don't have a lot of those and it could be a tag someday.

Booknblues | 6208 comments Cora wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "Cora wrote: "I almost picked this one, but I went with a different one instead. This review makes me regret that decision a little."

I had a hard time choosing this month becaus..."

I didn't find the husbands death too much of a downer, but I don't want to say more than that, other than she was clearly in love with him.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Digging In (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Loretta Nyhan (other topics)