EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 11 check in

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 833 comments Mod
Hi everyone, hope your reading is going well!

Still cold and snowy in Michigan, although we at least missed the huge snowfalls plaguing the east coast. I'm ready for spring!

This week I finished:

Black Panther: World of Wakanda - just for fun, picked it up to support a cool book shop. I liked it, but it kind of assumes you've been reading black panther, which I haven't been.

99 Red Balloons - Popsugar's Book with song lyrics in the title. It was just ok. The story felt overly complicated, and it strained my ability to suspend disbelief. I did eventually care about the characters and what happened, but it just wasn't a great book. I had trouble with this prompt. There's only so many books with song lyrics as titles, and none of them were really appealing to me.

Nick Cave: Mercy on Me - Popsugar's novel about a real person. Also counting it for ATY's book involving a murder. A lot of his songs are about killing people, and it's a thread through the novel. Might be a bit of a stretch but i'm going with it. It's a graphic novel, but it was still over 300 pages, so I'm counting it. I really liked the art and story, a fun read.

The Grimm Legacy - just for fun, someone over in FoE recommended them and my library had one for borrow. I liked it, good midgrade fun. Was a nice break.

Currently reading: I'm reading the Orphan Black: Deviations, maybe a couple more comics before I start The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which will be my microhistory.

Obviously, since we are in a reading group, we're all readers here. But I know some people mentioned they were getting back into reading, or wanted to improve their reading habits. How did you get into reading? Did you love it as a child, or are you coming to it as an adult? I've met people who say they haven't read a book since school, which I simply can't imagine. So what is it that has kept you reading, past the time that you HAD to read?

For me, my mom was a big reader. She was always reading in her down time, and every night before bed she'd read me a bedtime story, sometimes even multiples. I think she instilled a love of reading in me, partially so I would be quiet and read with her, haha. I didn't pick up reading very fast, in kindergarten my teacher and mom thought maybe I had a reading disability because while I could read the individual words, I couldn't string them together to form sentences. But something clicked in first grade, and I went from the bottom reading group to the top within that year. After that I feel like i was always reading. Got into kids chapter books fairly young, because they'd last me longer than picture books. I think I had a pretty solid reading love long before school started bringing out the less fun stuff to read and things became a chore. I'd just split up my reading time, doing the assigned reading as fast as I could so I could get back to the stuff I WANTED to read. College was probably the time I read the least, in part due to having a computer I didn't have to share with my family for the first time, and having a tv that I had 100% control over. So I did a LOT Of internet and tv binging in those years. But even through then, i still READ, just not as much as I do now.

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 158 comments Only one finish for me this week: The Picture of Dorian Gray, which I thought was fabulous. After having Hated with a capital H Hated The Importance of Being Earnest as assigned reading as a teenager, I figured Oscar Wilde was just not my cup of tea. I now owe an apology to Mr. Wilde and further exploration of his work.

I'll be on the road quite a bit this weekend, so I have some audiobooks lined up.

For me, it's a return to reading. Books have always physically been a part of my life. I was a voracious reader as a child, as my father before me. When he passed, I donated two JUKEfuls of books (and that's just the ones I didn't keep!) to the McGill University book fair, which uses the funds for scholarships.

Why did I stop reading, somewhere along the way? I'm not sure. Somewhere between no longer commuting to work by train, working and going to school in the evenings, having required readings, having a non-reader boyfriend, and just not having the bookstore budget, I suppose. Now that all those issues have been resolved (except commuting - I work from home now!), it just felt natural to fall back into things. I realize I've missed it, and I shan't let it happen again :)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 261 comments I am on a business trip to Australia this week and next. So on the flight over here I completed two audiobooks (4.5 + 17.5 hour flights). I went back through all the conversations in this group until I found a good list of audiobooks. My husband is on this trip with me and we had a headphone audio splitter so we were both listening (to the first one at least).

First we listened to Redshirts which we both liked a lot. I had a few minor nits to pick but overall it was wonderful to hear this story. One truly must have a basic knowledge of Star Trek to appreciate it. But if you do it is clever.

Later in the flight I listened to Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future. Honestly I was looking for a droll non-fiction on the airplane entertainment system so that I could go to sleep with it playing quietly. This somewhat fit the bill. I did miss a chunk in the middle (hurray sleep!), but it engaged my brain more than I thought it would since I work in the tech industry, and have worked for startups. I did not know who the author was and stopped once I figured it out since I don't like the public persona of the author.

I have always read and remember always walking around school with a paperback of some kind constantly with my school notebooks. I remember reading Papillon as a young teen. That was a very large book. I also remember reading the entire John Jakes Bicentennial series as a teen and his North and South series. Once I had kids my reading for myself slowed but I constantly read with and to them. Even when my youngest was pre-teen and early teens we'd read together (Little House books and Anne of Green Gables). Not that she couldn't read well enough herself but it was the bonding.

My favorite story is that when my son, now 26, graduated from grad school, moved into his first apartment (in another state) and started a new job. He called us up his first weekend, "Mom and Dad, guess what I did today?" (Me: I have no idea.) Him: "I went to library and got myself a library card and took out books. I can finally read for pleasure again!" That just made me smile that day!

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 833 comments Mod
Susan, I really liked Redshirts, even though I'm not really a trek fan. I absorbed enough pop culture knowledge to get at least some of the blatant references. I'm sure I missed a lot of the more obscure nods though!

Also that's a great story about your son :)

Daniele,

Glad to hear you're reading again!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Richter | 55 comments This week I finished Origin. It was OK. This was by far my least favorite of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series. The premise was interesting, but it felt WAY too long and tried WAY too hard to keep the suspense building. There was also less code-breaking in this book compared to the others.

Growing up I always loved to read. It was my escape. Even through college and graduate school, I loved it and made time for it. There was a time after school where work took over my life and I didn't make time for reading, but I'm happy to say those days are long over and I've rediscovered my love of reading. :-)

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Klinich | 117 comments When I was young I was only allowed to read one book a day in the summer, then I had to go play outside. One of my prized possessions is my reading log from fifth grade-I think I read about 270 books.
I read the least in college, but since then will choose reading over TV which I barely watch anymore.
None of my three teenbots are readers, which makes me sad sometimes.