Play Book Tag discussion

When Breath Becomes Air
This topic is about When Breath Becomes Air
March 2018: Autobiography > [Listopia] When Breath Becomes Air ~ Paul Kalanithi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 623 comments When autobiography was selected as the choice for this month, this book was not my first choice although it was on my TBR. My first choice was checkout and overdue at the library....oh shock and horror of a book overdue (I work at this library)!!!! But I am glad my first choice was checked out, because "When Breath Becomes Air" was on the shelf.

What a wonderful written but heart breaking book. I have dealt with the heartache of losing a loved one to cancer. It is so hard on the family as I know it was extremely hard on Paul's family. Being a Dr., Paul researched and dealt with his own cancer with grace. He fought hard to live and do all the things he could during his remaining years and months. He continued his work, wrote a book, lived life to his fullest and was able to be a part of his daughter's young life. He also put plans in place for his wife and daughter. Paul was OK with his own mortality and was not afraid of it....something that many people are scared of.

Paul died before his book was "completed", but it was complete in his terms.

I loved Paul's message to his baby girl before he died: "When you come to one of the many memories in life where you must give account to yourself, provide a ledger of what you have been, and done, and meant to the world, do not, I pray, discount that you filled a dying man's days with a sated joy, a joy unknown to me in all my prior years, a joy that does not hunger for more and more but rests, satisfied. In this time, right now, that is an enormous thing."

Ellen | 2217 comments Nice review, Joni. I really loved this book.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments It was a four star fir this non-fiction hater, which is amazing!