The Paul Moxham Group discussion

What Other Books Do You Like Reading?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Moxham | 57 comments Mod
When I'm not writing, I like reading and, since I don't read the books I write, I like reading other books. So, my question to you is, what other books do you like reading?

For me, I like Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and most of Enid Blyton. The fantasy worlds in Blyton don't do it for me, but I like the Famous Five, Secret Seven, and Five Find Outers. I also like Tintin, Asterix and some non fiction, but the above are what I mainly read.

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 7 comments I love The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew! :) I'm always looking for more good mysteries. Bookstores, libraries, used bookstores, and of course, online. :) Currently also reading Three Investigators and American Girl Mysteries and want to find The Dana Girls Mysteries to read now, also. I haven't yet read Enid Blyton.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Ah yes, I did hear about the Dana Girls, but haven't read any due to a tight budget, but would like to read them at some stage. I am also reading the latest Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew's that are released in the current series, it is interesting to see how much things have changed since the early versions.

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 7 comments I'm hoping to find some Dana Girls mysteries soon to read, another friend is currently reading them. I'd be interested in trying the Enid Blyton mysteries, too, if I come across them. I'm reading in all of the Hardy Boys series.
I was looking at your polls on here and it would be hard to choose which character I like best, because they're all cool and it's like I wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings! It's great to have characters that are all likable.
Also, I really like finding good series that already have a number of volumes available for me to read then I don't have to wait! :)

Ann

message 5: by Josiah (new)

Josiah | 8 comments Hi, I’ve been invited to this group. I’ve never read any of your books Mr. Paul, but I would love to read them. I enjoy reading Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, the Adventure Series by Enid Blyton, and this really old series from the 20’s called the Ted Scott Flying Stories!

message 6: by Paul (new)

Hi Ann, I mainly get books from the local library and read novels that way, or in some cases buy them off ebay if they are hard to find, but free is, of course, better.

Glad you think my characters are likable, I would say that my stories are plot driven and not character driven, and some think story is too fast paced, but that's what I like reading, so I'm glad there are other people who think like me.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Josiah wrote: "Hi, I’ve been invited to this group. I’ve never read any of your books Mr. Paul, but I would love to read them. I enjoy reading Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, the Adventure Series by Enid Blyt..."

Hi Josiah, glad that you have joined us. I've never heard of the Flying Stories, searched google, they do look interesting, not sure how I would get a copy of them, prob ebay I suppose. I haven't read Dana girls, but read loads of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and most series of Enid Blyton. Have you read the Adventurous Four by Enid Blyton? That might interest you.

As for my stories, Smugglers Cove is free all the time, but I'm also making my collection of books 4-6 free on July 7 for 5 days on Amazon, so feel free to download it if you want to see what the stories are like.

message 8: by Josiah (new)

Josiah | 8 comments Yeah, I got the Flying Stories from EBay. I have not read the adventurous 4, but I've always wanted to try one! I just downloaded The Mystery of Smugglers cove on my Kindle, and I will start reading it today! I will totally get that set for free when it comes out! I will let you know what I think of Smugglers cove once I finish it :)

message 9: by Paul (new)

Josiah, I just saw your review of Smugglers Cove, so thanks. It's always good when someone leaves an actual review rather than a star rating. Glad to see you liked it. As for the negatives, I'll be the first to admit that it does some personality and descriptiveness, mainly because I'm not good in that aspect of writing. That is something that Blyton did good at but, unlike me, she was published by a proper company, where as I am an independent publisher, which is why I offer the first book for free so people can decide if they like the series or not. Chances are, if you like the first novel, you'll like the rest.

I get that some readers will dislike my book because of those negatives you pointed out, but I do try to focus on the plot and make it fast paced which is what being less descriptive has allowed me to do. Anyways, even if I wanted to write exactly like Blyton, I wouldn't because if you want a Blyton book, you read a Blyton book. But, for the price of my books, I think I offer value for whoever wants to read an exciting adventure. The only issue I have is getting the word out because, unlike Blyton, my books don't appear in bookshelves or libraries and so on.

Anyways, if you are looking for a very descriptive mystery series, you may want to take a look at The Mystery of the Whistling Caves, that is a modern series set in Britain that focuses more on the mystery aspect than action, but I still liked it.

message 10: by Josiah (new)

Josiah | 8 comments Thanks for reading my review! I really liked the book, and I think that the negatives didn’t really affect me at all. I’ll have to try that series. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 11: by Paul (new)

The good thing about Whistling Caves is that there are 14 books in the series, so, just like how I have 9 full length books and 12 short stories, if you like the first one, there is enough to keep you occupied for some time.

However, if you want to try a really long series, one which I discovered same time as Enid Blyton, you could try the Biggles books by Captain W. E. Johns. There are 98 books in total. They are set in 1916 to 1965 or so and are more adult in nature than Blyton or Dixon but still are family friendly with not much violence or language so I read them when I was your age. Some are more boring than others, the one I like the most is Biggles Defies the Swastika.

message 12: by Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 7 comments Paul wrote: "Hi Ann, I mainly get books from the local library and read novels that way, or in some cases buy them off ebay if they are hard to find, but free is, of course, better.

Glad you think my characters are likable, I would say that my stories are plot driven and not character driven, and some think story is too fast paced, but that's what I like reading, so I'm glad there are other people who think like me."

I've gotten plenty of books from the library (each visit!) and really happy for that! :) Free is great! :D

Yes, I have to like and care about the characters to be a fan of a book or series. To me, that's really important and the writer has to write cool characters and have an intriguing story. You do that with your cool mystery series - thank you! :) I love fast-paced!

And I want to check out some of these books you and Josiah are talking about, such as the Ted Scott Flying Series and Enid Blyton. :)

message 13: by Paul (new)

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hi Ann, I mainly get books from the local library and read novels that way, or in some cases buy them off ebay if they are hard to find, but free is, of course, better.

Glad you think..."

Enid Blyton seriously wrote some of the best mystery middle grade books out there (Famous Five/Adventure/Five Find Outers/Secret Seven) plus, since they were written in the 1950's they are completely different to middle grade books written these days.

message 14: by Anston (new)

Anston (anstonmystery) | 14 comments Paul wrote: "Ann♥♪♪♪♪ wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hi Ann, I mainly get books from the local library and read novels that way, or in some cases buy them off ebay if they are hard to find, but free is, of course, better..."

Yeah. My sister is reading Enid Blyton but I don't have a taste for it.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Anston wrote: "Paul wrote: "Ann♥♪♪♪♪ wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hi Ann, I mainly get books from the local library and read novels that way, or in some cases buy them off ebay if they are hard to find, but free is, of c..."

Enid Blyton wrote so many books, they are all different, some like the Five Find Outers are comedy mystery, while Adventure Series, like Castle of Adventure, is more like my series.