What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > fantasy/sci-fi book. title possibly having to do with firebird/phoenix based on cover

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Young adult fantasy book with female lead.

She lives in a tribe of people. Unknowm father lineage.
Something something finds she has some sort of powers, specifically healing. There is this whole bit of being in a secret school in the mountains with a bunch of older men, learning medicine and honing her magical abilities.
Evetually becomes a slave to a neighboring tribe, where she earns their trust and replaces older medicine woman/shaman.
Also, there is this soldier guy, from a neighboring advanced civilization, that helps her out here and there, I think.
Can't remember title, but I want to say it had to do with fire...or pheonixs' or something along those lines. Came out some ten years ago, I believe.

Please help. I remember really enjoying this book.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Jimmothy, is this a romance or just a literary type novel? I'm assuming fantasy from what you describe. Any description of her mother, or is it believed that she got her powers from her unknown father? Is it a standalone or part of a series?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

As far as I am aware, a standalone fantasy novel. She supposedly inherited the abilities from both sides, but mostly her father. The mother, unfortunately, I barely remember anything about. I do know the mother was part of the tribal peoples she (the daughter/main character) starts off the book living with, and the father is from a more advanced civilization.
Sadly, just about the only thing I can remember clearly about the book....was the cover. (for shame, Jimmothy)

message 4: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Jimmothy wrote: "Sadly, just about the only thing I can remember clearly about the book....was the cover. ..."

Can you describe what you remember about the cover please?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Red. Blurred out mountains, with fire floating around. The fire was in the shape of a bird, hence why I believe the title had something to do with firebirds, phoenix's, or firesong. Fire was most definatley in the shape of a bird.

message 6: by Tris (new)

Tris Crescent | 86 comments I’m on the app, so I can’t link it, but could you be thinking of “The Burning Sky” by Sherry Thomas? On the cover is fire in shape of a bird; however, it came out in 2013, it is the first in a trilogy, and she has elemental magic, not specifically healing magic. I’m not sure this would be what you’re thinking of, but I thought that I would suggest it, just in case it somehow helps.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually stumbled upon this books in my digging! It's on my reading list but, alas, it is not it. The book I am looking for is in a purely fictional realm. Also, the main character's powers are more of dream-walking and healing. Mostly healing. The dream-walking and other mumbojumbo comes secondary, if I recall correctly... I appreciate all the help I am getting from you all, though!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Jimmothy I've expanded your thread title a bit. You'll get a lot more interest from our group if they have some idea of what the book is about. Most of our group only check threads that show as being in their genres of interest and ignore all others.

Remember, if the book isn't found quickly, the Bump time is 30+ days. (And I really hope this is found soon because I'd love to read it myself.)

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 219 comments Probably not it, but there's a little bit of Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword in your description.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 10: by James (new)

James Risenhoover (EpsilonAnder) | 7 comments Stormwarden by Janny Wurts

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Ann! I appreciate all the help. Forgive me for my lack of familiarity with this website... I'll endeavor to help anypne else that needs it! (colour me an avid reader) Unfortunately, Joseph and James, neither of those books is the one I am thinking of. Thank you for the suggestions, though! In the one-two days I've been on this site, my book-reading list has expanded....immensely...

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
OP's account deleted. Moving to NWNK.