UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > What would you find useful in a website for writers?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 23 comments As a programmer, I often think about putting together a website for writers both for the writer part of me and for teh code practice. I don't really have that much spare time at the moment, so chances are that nothing concrete will come of this in any case; but the discussion may be interesting all the same.
So, what features would you want a website for writers?

As a start, I'll mention one thing I enjoyed on the now defunct writon.amazon -: weekly writing prompts for a flash fiction story. I'd change that to daily, but that's something that's been on my mind as a 'would like to do' for a while.

message 2: by P.J. (new)

P.J. DeVere I like the writing prompts idea, but I have just put out my first book and I have a real opinion about this. I lost my religion trying to make my own author website.
I bought my domain, got a free website builder, hit publish **crickets chirping**
3 hours of tech support and many curse words later, turns out I didn't add a "hosting package" @#$@#%@%$@
So yeah, an easy to understand "how to for idiots" article would have been right up my alley!
I hope you do start a website, and I wish you the best of luck!
-PJD

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments I think we really need something that puts everybody else but us off writing in the first place, to do something to cut down the competition :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmmm.

We could do a writing prompts thread in the group.

Any interest in that?

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I've been finding photos I've taken on holiday are useful writing prompts. It happened last year and again this time.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments I find pictures very useful prompts for Tallis Steelyard stories, but also for other things

message 7: by P.J. (new)

P.J. DeVere That's a really great idea. I take it as meaning I need to go on more holidays!

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments It's a grand excuse!

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 23 comments if you use pictures as writing prompts, and more general as a good resource for cover images, there's unsplash - basically free high-quality photos.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 23 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Hmmm.

We could do a writing prompts thread in the group.

Any interest in that?"

I find that for a writing prompt to work best you need to be able to post the results to the writing prompt location. Goodreads threads don't really support that so well, so I imagine that it'll not get a huge uptake. I may be wrong though.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I would happily post the occasional image and see if it inspires anyone... Like this one for instance.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We've got a copy of this here at school. It's very cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writers-Bloc...

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments the picture has given me an idea and I'll try and use it for the next Tallis story :-)

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments The two most useful things that I've seen on websites for writers:

1. Agents and publishers naming the things that they really want to see in writing ... and the things that they don't want to see. We could all save a hell of a lot of time if we internalised stuff like that.

2. A before and after discussion of an actual piece of writing, showing it being improved through discussion from first draft to final polished text. There's a section on absolutewrite.com called Share Your Work which does exactly that. It can be very painful but also very educational. I learned a lot by lurking in that particular website!

message 15: by Anna (last edited May 28, 2018 03:06AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Jim wrote: "I think we really need something that puts everybody else but us off writing in the first place, to do something to cut down the competition :-)"

Quite right, Jim. How brave you are.

Great picture, Gingerlily, my imagination went into overdrive. But as my head already has a queue, what I need is the time to get on with it.

Will - yes. Spot on.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! wrote: "I would happily post the occasional image and see if it inspires anyone... Like this one for instance.

"

https://tallissteelyard.wordpress.com...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Nice work Jim. I wonder if anyone else will come up with something.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That was lovely, Jim.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Erm. Except time passed, not past.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Erm. Except time passed, not past."

oops
changed

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sorry. Pedantic.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Sorry. Pedantic."

it was broken and needed fixing :-)