Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Great Alone
This topic is about The Great Alone
The Great Alone > The Allbrights

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Ernt Allbright, a former POW, comes home from the Vietnam war a changed and volatile man.

Cora Allbright, a loving mother and devoted wife, will do anything and go anywhere for the man she loves.

Leni Allbright, a girl coming of age in a tumultuous time, caught in the riptide of her parents’ passionate, stormy relationship, dares to hope that a new land will lead to a better future for her family.

How would you describe the Allbrights? Did you like them? Did you find them sympathetic?

How did Ernt and Cora’s relationship affect Leni? How did the frequent moves affect her?

How was moving to Alaska supposed to change the family? How did it really?

Colleen | 101 comments I'm a quarter into the book now. So far I'm finding I "like" all the characters in the family. Or at least I feel I'm relating to them as the author intended. I'm struggling somewhat with Cora Allbright. She seems very lost right, but I think that is who she is. She is still very young and hasn't actually found herself yet, mostly because she has hitched her emotions to that of her husbands highs and lows. Her husband is a mess, but based on his back story I would expect nothing less. And this was before the time when PTSD was a treatable thing. Leni is the only one who has it together I think.