UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Replacing my Kindle - which model, advice please!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 7 comments I have an old old Kindle - not even sure which model! It's got buttons and I've loved it for best part of 5/6/7 years but finally, I think it's past its day. I find myself more and more going to hard copies as the usefulness of the old model seems a bit limited. Plus all my collections and books are way out of control and hard to organise on this model.

I want another Kindle to replace it, but I also do now sometimes read on Kindle App for Ipad so ideally I want my new Kindle and the Kindle App for iPad to be as similar as possible in look and feel (including colour and touch screen) and to sync seamlessly between the two, including the collections - my old model just doesn't have this functionality. The new Kindle does not need to be a tablet device, it only needs to be an e-reader.

Which model is likely to fulfil this? Many Thanks in advance.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Get a voyage.

I've had every model except the newest, which I think is a silly price for what you get.

I love my voyage.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 7 comments Not sure whether I can run to £170 for my e-reader, does a Paperwhite not cover the same bases? What makes the Voyage better in your view?

Are any of them in colour?

TIA

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I like the page turn buttons on the voyage. Paperwhite is only touchscreen. Can't turn the page by touching on the left, which bothered me no end.
Also, the voyage screen is flush with the case. There's a ridge around the paperwhite screen which casts a shadow. I don't like that.

No e-ink screen is colour. Yet, anyway. If you want colour, use the kindle app on your tablet.

I don't bother with fussing with collections. Haven't in years. Too time consuming. I'd rather spend the time reading.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I love my kindle fire. Co!our too.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Kath wrote: "I love my kindle fire. Co!our too."

But not e-ink, so screen glare.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 7 comments I definitely what the lack of screen glare, which is why rather than just flipping across to reading on iPad, I would like to replace the Kindle.

I like collections, and the books are largely in their collections, but as the old kindle won't now move books around in the same way it used to, the collections will quickly become un-collections.

Amazon sometimes do special offers so I may wait and see what comes around.. thanks Patti for tips, it is appreciated.

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Kath wrote: "I love my kindle fire. Co!our too."

But not e-ink, so screen glare."

I just glare back!

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 7 comments 👍 Kath!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Kath wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "Kath wrote: "I love my kindle fire. Co!our too."

But not e-ink, so screen glare."

I just glare back!"

Hehe!

And living Oop North, you don't often have problems with trying to read in the sun!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jo wrote: "I definitely what the lack of screen glare, which is why rather than just flipping across to reading on iPad, I would like to replace the Kindle.

I like collections, and the books are largely in ..."

Pleasure!

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments I had a paperwhite for Xmas - chosen particularly to avoid the screen glare, but I do miss seeing the book covers in colour when wanting something to download - and usually revert to the Kindle software on my mobile to see them when doing so!

Also, as Patti said, not being able to page turn forward from the left is a definite disadvantage if you read a lot and don't want RSI.

message 13: by Michael Cargill (last edited Mar 14, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments I'd say that the Paperwhite is the best one from a value point of view.

It will do pretty much everything you want.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I don't disagree with you Mike.

Having said that, I expect the voyage will drop in price when the next new model comes out.

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments 11 months out of 12, I read on my iPad (big version. It does side by side pages & everything. Just don't try & crease the spine!) or iPhone. For the one week of Summer that screen glare might be an issue, I use my old Paperwhite.

The Voyage is basically a Paperwhite with an extra light and touch sensors in the bezel (with haptic feedback). For that you pay an extra £60. Given that e-ink touch screens are not very sensitive, it could be a deciding factor if buttons are important to you.

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 7 comments Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Going to keep an eye open for next time Amazon do some deals on them and depending how flush I am feeling at the time, I at least now know what's what.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11357 comments I find my paperwhite screen way too sensitive!! I prefer the look of it to my baby kindle though, but do miss the buttons, especially for the left turn. I find collections really hard in it though

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3013 comments I've got that cheapy one that came out a couple of years ago and that allows page turns by just touching the screen in the appropriate places.