paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

buddy reads > Buddy Read - The Traveling Vampire Show

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon starting April 1.
Everyone welcome. Use spoilers.

message 2: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Is anyone ready to start this one? I can start anytime if somene is ready. Let me know.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I loved this one! I didnt expect all the kids to die though, what an awesome ending!

message 4: by Justin (new)

April fools, thats not how it ends. Lol did i get anyone?

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis LOL Nice!
I have been gotten like 5 times today.
Can I spell gullible???

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 35 comments I am super excited to be reading this book for April! --Jen from Quebec :0) (PS) It is rather hard to even FIND where the group read is happening on the group's main page...

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Justin wrote: "April fools, thats not how it ends. Lol did i get anyone?"

LMAO! I was about to scream--I won't be able to start for another day or two!!!
Good one!

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Ok, well then I say we start. We can just read at our own pace and use spoilers and page numbers/percentages. A head start might be good because Kimberly usually reads very fast. :)

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Ok, well then I say we start. We can just read at our own pace and use spoilers and page numbers/percentages. A head start might be good because Kimberly usually reads very fast. :)"

LOL!! I have to finish a big review, so I'll be behind you on this one... :D

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I started it and just read 3 chapters.
I am wondering what year the setting is. I am thinking the late '60's or early 70's.
Already it feels like Laymon with teenaged boys, fascination with breasts, and kids on an adventure
To me his books always FEEL like childhood, not because I ever encountered a crazy killer but because he captures the essence of growing up in the 70's so well.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm about where you are, Vicki--same vibe here.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 35 comments VICKI---

Nevermind about providing me with a link, I found the 'buddy read site' once again!
NOW, fellow buddies, I will finally dive right into this book. I hear nothing but great stuff about Laymon...--Jen from Quebec :0)

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis End of chapter 11
(view spoiler)
Excellent stuff.
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "End of chapter 11
[spoilers removed]
Excellent stuff.
[spoilers removed]"

I'm right were you are still! :))

message 15: by Justin (new)

This was my first laymon and i loved it, but other than the MC's being children i dont remember anything. Im reading the spoilers and still have no idea. I bought the audiobook awhile ago and i think its time to listen to it.

message 16: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Up to chap 39
Damn... the tension is real high for me
Between(view spoiler) i am wound up.
It is reminiscent of a teenage love story from the '70's. It was really like that (view spoiler) Feels realistic.
Loving this story!
Now worried about(view spoiler)

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm dying to talk about this one now--I didn't even leave a written review because I didn't want to spoil anything!!!

message 18: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Omg
I have more time to read tonight so off I will go!
Will post asap

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments YAY!

message 20: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis End of chap 53 (85%)
Damn... the show has begun.
Some crazy stuff going on here. I think him (view spoiler) is the least of his worries.
Now that they have (view spoiler)

Going for the end now! Can't stop here!

message 21: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I finished - LOVED IT
Let's talk!

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments (view spoiler)

message 23: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis (view spoiler)
It was such a good book.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Yes! so many unanswered questions and so many ways they could be answered.
I was sure Julian had her and when her explanation was sketchy it made me think she was in on it.
So crazy at the end......"

Vicki (view spoiler)

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Did you think (view spoiler)

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

The dog part was a bit much for me. I had to kind of put that out of my mind. The way Slim described it - ugh.
I just found it interesting the way (view spoiler)

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments (view spoiler)

message 28: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Yes agreed!
What did you think about (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Yes agreed!
What did you think about The two guys in the car who had tried to kidnap Slim and then the police couldn't find them, but they showed up at the show! How? Why? and then the whole fact a..."

ARG! I was going to ask you that one--LOL! (view spoiler)
I originally gave this 4 stars, but after talking about it with you, I feel like I should raise it to at least 4.5--LOL!

message 30: by Vicki Willis (new)

This was a perfect buddy read book! Had a great time talking with you. Let's find another one soon!

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments EXACTLY how my thoughts kept going! This was an awesome buddy read! Okay, we need some suggestions for another. Anyone else in the group interested??

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 35 comments Hey there! I am reading WAYYYY too many books at once atm, but I *AM* still reading this one. I am at about 54% or so, and I am really enjoying the way that Laymon writes on the concept of childhood. BUT, overall, I am a bit disappointed with this book....It feel like the author is either (a) HINTING at the events of Slim's past with Jimmy, but not actually revealing much (b) HINTING at events that WILL HAPPEN LATER on in the story! So, the actual immediate PRESENT part of the book seriously lacks actual story! Anyone else? No? Just me? --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Hey there! I am reading WAYYYY too many books at once atm, but I *AM* still reading this one. I am at about 54% or so, and I am really enjoying the way that Laymon writes on the concept of childhoo..."
I felt that the events with Slim that WERE written, were enough, I guess. However, it may have been made more clear AFTER the 54% mark--I can't remember exactly where things were stated. (In some cases, too much information of that sort turns me off).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Traveling Vampire Show (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Laymon (other topics)